Seeking Advice Should you upload content NOT related to your channel?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by GameVestment, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GameVestment

GameVestment Newbie Member

Coucou everyone!

Here's my dilemma....
    I'm a gaming channel, I upload 1 type of game so far and I'm doing ok, I can't really complain, no need to change the game or anything BUT I thought about an idea for a video that has nothing to do with gaming but I think it might be a good idea to gain some extra views meaning, maybe even it can be viral I don't know but I would like to try so...

- I don't want to create a new channel, email, channel art and logo just for 1 video
    - If this video is a success I don't want people subscribing only for that video
    - I know It will not be meaningful for my audience cause they are not the target for my video
    - I'm planning to upload the regular gaming video and that same day the BONUS video

So my question is: How harmful will this can be?
    I've seen channels becoming something else because they tried something new and they were really good at doing it so they changed their content. I don't want to change my content but I also want to try new things cause you never know what could happen...

Will you suggest uploading an editing tutorial in a gaming channel? People say this will affect your search results and analytics for your channel, you think this is true? My plan will be to upload two videos that day, the regular video my subs subscribed for and the Bonus video... and explained to my subscribers that this is just an exception,, it will not be regular unless that video gets a lot of support then maybe I should start a new channel or start a new series in that channel but that's another question for another day

Would love to hear your thoughts and thank you so much for you help!

2. xxhitmgamingxx

xxhitmgamingxx Newbie Member

If you are posting a gaming video on the same day and this is supposed to be a bonus video....then maybe.

To be honest, I don't think you should because your channel is solely focused on gaming videos.

GameVestment likes this.
  3. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

It's your channel, do whatever you want. Just set up a new playlist. That way people will know this is something totally different. A variety of content is what has grown my channel so far. What TV network/channel only has one show? Really, think about it. They have a variety of shows and content throughout the days, weeks and months. They even have seasonal content.

Your YouTube channel is like having your own TV network, channel to station. Again Let's look at the movie theater. What movie theater only shows one type of movie? There a many types of movies. Your YouTube channel is like a movie theater where you get to make your own movies, TV shows, documentaries, even radio--vlogs are really just radios talk shows with video. What movie studio would only make one type of movie? Even Marvel Studios has made different types of superhero movies.

You can and should do the same. If you're so locked into one type of video and one type of content, you're limiting your reach instead of growing it.

GameVestment likes this.
  4. xxhitmgamingxx

I agree with this.... however everything on gamevestment's channel (logo, banner, name videos) is all about games.

Imagine a sports channel that broadcasts an episode of Fresh Prince of the Bel Air.

5. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

Well, you can always rebrand the channel to allow for more varied content. Remember ABC, NBC, and CBS all have sports, soap operas, movies, cop shows, sit comedies and morning shows all on the same channel to this day. There is no reason he can't do that with his channel. A channel doesn't all have to be one thing. It can have a variety of content. Certain days need to be game video days. Other days could be designated for other things. Or just relegate it to playlists and upload it to whatever you want.

Again it's a his channel, and he gets to choose what he wants to do with his channel. All I'm doing is listing options based on a century of television, film and radio--of which few YouTubers take advantage of the knowledge built up over that time frame.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    xxhitmgamingxx likes this.
  6. xxhitmgamingxx

Very true.