Seeking Advice Share your latest Thumbnail design for Constructive Criticism.

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Playtime with Ayden, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Playtime with Ayden

Playtime with Ayden Newbie Member

Okay I figured I would start a thread to help showcase Youtubers thumbnail layout designs for
    Constructive Criticism. They say thumbnails are very important in trying to grab the audiences or viewers attention. I love to be able to help others where I can by using my skills that I'm very proficient in and the same time I love to be able to learn from others. Especially when it comes to learning new ideas to help market your channel. I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge that we can pick up from one another on whats helping others grow there channel.

Here's a little background information I'm willing to share with everyone. I was a former multimedia instructor for over 12 years teaching at two different art and technology schools where I have taught everything from 3D modeling & animation. Game art and Game design, Film production, digital composting editing and effects as well as advance motion graphics, graphics and webdesign, I've groomed over 2000 plus students which many have become very successful in the design industry. I've written, produced and edited a super natural horror movie that has got national and international distribution with under my production company and now currently I work as a Technical Artist creating licensed digital slot games with titles like Britney Spears, Elvira, Tim McGraw, Xfiles, Game of Thrones among many other under my belt.

Now I don't want to sound like I'm some pompus know it all out here because when it comes to Youtube I'm just scratching the surface and really don't know much if anything but I'm always seeking to learn from other and soak up as much information as I can and at the same time hopefully I can share my knowledge to help others in there journey.
    So I'll start off posting my latest Thumbnail, My Thumbnails have evolved over time and I plan on changing them up with each different series that we try and develop for my sons Youtube channel. "Playtime with Ayden"

Feel free to leave feed back. I look forward to seeing others.
    DisneyAdventure_Thumbnail_Vlog8.jpg
    Channel Link:
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/playtimewithayden
    Official Website: http://www.playtimewithayden.com

Social Media Links:
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlaytimewAyden
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playtimewithayden
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/playtimewithayden
    Google+: https://plus.google.com/+PlaytimewithAyden2017
    Portfolio Website: http://www.planetgtm.com

Paul likes this.
  2. Life Effects

Life Effects Active Member TubeBuddy Star

A very neat Idea :)

Your thumbnail has a great design - no wonder with your background BUT the problem with thumbnails on youtube is that you have to do a simple test where at least your text information is lost. You have to zoom out - about 30% - to see how people will look at it in their search results.
    Even the Newport Beach text line is not that easy to read anymore. Everything smaller is not recognizable. But other than that a really great design.

My latest thumbnail templates look kind of like this:
    - a bit empty space in the color of youtubes white
    - the logo
    - visible text
    - my ugly face if approapiate

But I still have to tune it - it's a bit too playful xD FI#6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I have been working on simplifying my thumbnails. They show up so small online it is easy to make them unreadably cluttered (easy for me ha ha). Lately I have been grabbing a screenshot of a piece of the video and trying different colors & shadows, to make it easier to read. No real design, just a screen grab and some Photoshop lettering. The white lettering I see a lot of people use is the hardest for me to read. I like the shadow on the pizza review best for easy to read. Maybe I am just blind, though?

school supplies thumbnail.jpg thumb.jpg thumb-2.jpg

Playtime with Ayden and Paul like this.
  4. Dallas Dogs

Dallas Dogs Member TubeBuddy User

5. FIRERIN

FIRERIN Newbie Member

I decided just to make all of my thumbnails pretty simple. Just wanted to have an image from the episode the video is based on along with the characters name and that it's part of the PoTG series.
    I decided to go with the partially transparent gray background along with the overwatch text w/ offset drop shadow mainly due to its simplicity and it's noticeable when butting up against other channels thumbnails.

Let me know what you think and if there is anything you'd change in the thumbnail.

Altair.png Rinne.png 100.png
    --- Post updated ---
    I think what might help your thumbnails is if you either use a stroke around your lettering or make the drop shadow a little bit larger / darker. It'll make the letters pop a bit more.

Guitar Hack likes this.
  6. Playtime with Ayden

Awesome! Thank you for the critiques and quick response. Yes I agree I did try to squeeze a lot of info into my thumbnail. I like to give credit to the music composers whenever I can. I think its because I use the same design on the Splash page of my website. I'll def make those adjustments for Ayden's next coming up video series.

As for your thumbnails great design. I noticed right away that your an effect artist with the grid and camera along with your grass effect. I love effects and subscribed. I used to do a lot of videos for my students. I really like how you popped off your Logo on the corner to give it a unique look. Thats the first time I've seen that done before. My only critque would be to try and use a higher quality Image of your handsome face:) I can see your probably taking it from a frame of your video. Maybe try and set up a selfie shot or an auto timed shot to get a good high rez of your mugshot:)
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Tito,I'm not sure what software you might be using to help create your thumbnails. I haven't worked with Tube Buddy's thumbnail features so I don't quite know it's capabilities. My advice would be to stick with one Font type for now to start helping branding your channel. If you possible can try and use a template of a border to that you can use over and over on top of you Screen grabs and then place your fontby working your corners either top or bottom:) Thank you for joining in on this thread:) Here's an example I quickly did. I tried to keep it simple to were you might be able to do something that doesn't require to much photo editing techniques or skills. Hope this might help.
    Mywonderfulday.jpg

Life Effects likes this.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Moved to content strategy, since I feel it fits better there :)

8. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I tried a border and I like the way it looks. I am messing around with a few. So far my wife likes the lighter one, and I am not sure which I like. Looking at them full sized I like the lighter one, but I think the darker stands out more as a thumbnail. I like the border you used... do you make your own templates? I can copy/paste/edit, so I tend to download templates and adjust as I need.

thumb border.jpg dark border thumb.jpg

Playtime with Ayden likes this.
  9. Playtime with Ayden

I think they both work personally, I do agree that the film border stands out more and will grab your attention:) One other tip or suggestion would be to keep your font straight and not wavy. Nice work Tito Tim.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Firerin:) I like your Thumbnails. I think the transparent accent works great and how they are all consistent. Looks good.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hi Dallas dogs. I really like the last two I can see you swtiching back and forth from the black and white boxed titles depending on what image you decided to use:)

10. Dreigiau Nyth

Dreigiau Nyth Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

nice looking. love the frame ideal. i do not have photoshop or anything. just MSpaint user.
    and being a Lets Play youtuber. Games are easy to find items for thumbnail. you just need to add the right flare for your channel.
    Thumbnail_1503596791093.jpg rb56X.jpg

11. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I am trying a new idea. Instead of trying to cram the video title on the thumbnail, I am thinking of just using my channel name. The title is already next to the thumbnail so why repeat it? Also on a phone it would hardly be legible.
    I made the font a little larger, added shadowing to try and make it stand out, and straightened the font. I still like the darker one and my wife still likes the lighter one.

Any better?

Thumb Test.jpg

Dreigiau Nyth likes this.
  12. Dallas Dogs

Dallas Dogs Member TubeBuddy User

Thanks for the feedback! I think I prefer that style of text over the others as well, now that you mention it.

I prefer the lighter one as well. Even so, I'm wondering how many of today's "modern" YouTube audience would even recognize that edging as a film effect? Or even the more prominent, darker one above it, for that matter. :D

13. Rohit Gaikwad

Rohit Gaikwad Newbie Member

My Thumbnail Look Like This Though :p Of My Lastest Video
    [​IMG]

14. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Like what I am seeing stickying this thread :D

15. Hannah Woolmer

Hannah Woolmer Newbie Member

westworld thumbnail.jpg tutorial copy.jpg

My latest two thumbnails
    #1 A Westworld Cover
    #2 A tutorial

Paul likes this.
  16. BullMoose

BullMoose Newbie Member

Last two thumbnails I used for a PUBG and Star Wars video I made. Been a bit since anyone posted here, but if anyone is still viewing, any feedback would be appreciated. Hope they attached properly.

Attached Files:

17. FrostedGH

FrostedGH Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

Here's a couple examples of some of the thumbnails I've created recently, my main goal with them was to have a bit of branding to it, which can be seen as he purple bar on the left, while still maintaining a sense of what you can expect from the video itself. Down to listen to criticism, I'd like to make them as good as possible :)

Attached Files:

18. Sibernethy

Sibernethy New User

I like the second thumbnail better because the character can be more easily seen on a smaller resolution. In the first one, definitely add some kind of glow or outline to make the character stand out. Also, try going for half-body shots rather than full body shots because the character is more upfront and visible on a lower resolution. (I also need to consider that when doing my own thumbnails :p)

I am a sucker for vivid colors and your second thumbnail was excellent in this area. The other two are great when viewed at full resolution but the second one "fdhsajkl" was immediately eye-catching.

FrostedGH and BullMoose like this.
  19. BullMoose

BullMoose Newbie Member

I see what you're saying with the smaller resolution. Will definitely see if I can tweak it a bit to make the character pop more. Thanks for the input, it is definitely appreciated!

Sibernethy likes this.
  20. FrostedGH

FrostedGH Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

So, the brighter the colours the better? Gotcha - thanks :)

Sibernethy likes this.