Seeking Advice Product Review Channels?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Damon, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Since I've been looking for a new camera, I've noticed a lot of camera channels. They review lots of camera gear, but my goodness. Do they buy all that gear themselves, or are companies sending them gear for review, or some combination?

I just can't imagine the overhead of buying a $2,400 GH5s, a $2,000 A7iii, $2,000 XH-1. Maybe it's a loaner program or something? Even if they sell them off on Ebay, that's still a steep overhead of money exchanging hands. Maybe thems' the big dogs!

2. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

In Europe you can send back stuff for 2 weeks and you'll get your money back unless you broke it (in you order online or via telephone etc.) - some vendors extend that to 4-6 weeks. So that's a way to do it on a budget (for some certainly )

Also something I noticed on some smaller channels ist that they just re-upload stuff from bigger channels.

And of course you can rent equipment and if you have a little bit of expertise the manufacturers might even loan or straight out give you a model to test.

I regulary get offers to test stuff in the 10-20 euro price range for my ~60 subscriber German channel so it's not to far fetched to say that you can get quite some stuff with a small range.

And then there are still the people who either have too much money or go into debt without thinking.

I for example really like reviewing the stuff I buy for myself an that sometimes leads to offers from companies.

Damon likes this.
  3. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Man, sometimes I wish I was rich enough to buy everything. Usually if it was given to them for a review, they'd say it either in the video or in the description. Sometimes they might not say it at all, but I imagine it might be the mixture of both. I wouldn't be surprised if a person buys everything for their reviews because I've seen a channel with a 15 year old kid who reviews all these products I can't even get.

A loaner program? I haven't heard of that one.

I remember recently somebody got a Sennheiser MKH-416 sent to them from the company itself. I'm still baffled by it because that's a $1,000 mic.

Damon and kunicross like this.
  4. Ginger Lefty

Ginger Lefty Active Member Member of the Month

Top Poster Of Month

My channel, as my handle gives away reviews gear (specifically guitar and music recording gear). I have had to purchase everything that I review, and it's often very expensive. As of yet nobody has been willing to enter into a review/return agreement with me cos my channel is too small, and it wouldn't make sense for them. So anything I've purchased that I really like, I keep. The rest I sell, to afford more gear to review. I also ask friends to loan me pedals, amps etc. I hope some day that I'll be big enough that companies will send me stuff.

Damon likes this.
  5. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Don't forget that it's way cheaper for the producing company than what we need to pay for it - the end user price does include development, marketing, big vendor Matin small vendor margin and taxes on top - I would be supprised if the mic costs Sennheiser more than 100-200 $ to produce and ship and they probably can even write off giving it away for free as expenses so if only 2-3 people go on and buy the mic as a result of giving one away thats a good deal for them and probably relativly cheap marketing.
    --- Post updated ---
    @Ginger Lefty have you ever approached companies? Many older and more traditional businesses don't really have influencer marketing on their sleeves yet - if you somewhat of a expert with decent video quality a cooperation can be a mutual win-win.

Damon and Ginger Lefty like this.
  6. Dronelander

Dronelander Newbie Member

I get product to review for free from company selling drone and I own a small channel. Bigger channel get everything for free and they get also payed for the video review

Ikerot and Damon like this.