Seeking Advice Problem: My viewers are 100% male

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Sarasayshi, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Sarasayshi

Sarasayshi New User

Here is the cliff notes for background on my channel:

1.) Channel is 10 yrs old
    2.) Been inactive the past 6 years
    3.) Not sure when I hit 1k subscribers because I didn't care back then
    4.) I posted a lot of weight loss type blogs with my daily life in the beginning (10 yrs ago) with sporadic phone uploads of me weight lifting
    5.) I have one video that has over 150k views because I showed my bare belly for the first time after losing a lot of weight. it's possible I gained many subscribers then.

I seem to have a high male viewer percentage due to 2 old videos which have the title "Hot mama" in them. And most are from India.

My intention of my channel is still geared towards my final weight loss goal but I am really into modifying recipes to make them healthier to teach people they can still have great tasting food and lose weight. The problem is I don't think most males will find my cooking videos as interesting as females would.

I am afraid of abandoning my channel. I don't have a large following on instagram (about 700) but it's the same brand name. But I don't know how I will convert more views to subscribers when it's obvious the views are for looking for some hot babe to entertain them.

Any advice?

2. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

Top Poster Of Month

To be honest, what's kind of sad is that nowadays, a large percentage of today's online audience, for both YouTube and Twitch.tv, mainly consist of males with a twisted, immature mind. While I think online, female YouTubers and Twitch streamers deserve just as much attention as men do, the problem is some are receiving attention for the wrong reasons.

I'm not sure if the issue is if you want an all-female audience, or don't want a male audience at all, or if you want a gender-balanced audience. Concerning a subject like this, the only thing I can say that you could do is if you feel uncomfortable believing that your audience is twisted-minded-male-dominant, then you could continue doing what you love to do, which is cooking, and that's great, you could try doing something else that could bring in another audience, or as a last resort, disband your channel.

I'm not advocating that you disband your channel, since 1k subscribers nowadays is hard to accomplish doing educational, marketing, entrepreneurial, creative, imaginative, crafty, technical, informational, inspirational, skillful, etc. things, and you fall under 2-3 of these categories, which makes it quite a feat.

However, I respect you for acknowledging your fears of this; most women that I've seen on Twitch take advantage of the twisted minds of male audiences to better themselves, and it's pretty damn sad. You, on the other hand, respect yourself, and I respect you back for that.

As I said above, the choice of what you want to do is entirely up to you. One thing I would like to tell you, though, is that you don't know your real viewer audience is mainly male; it could be people just clicking on your videos, then leaving. It could even be women under a male guise; I don't know, but in reality, who truly knows what audience you're attracting unless they reveal themselves to you?

If I were in your shoes, I would look to see if anyone is commenting on your videos. That gives you a better clue of your audience: who they are, and why they watch your content.

Sarasayshi likes this.
  3. Sarasayshi

Sarasayshi New User

Thank you, Snowy. I guess only time will tell what happens with my channel. I am just going to continue to try and improve my videos and see what works. I got a lot of my subscribers by doing blogging style but I feel like I am just not interesting enough for that anymore. lol I also see I gained 148 subscribers from one video that 250k views. Not a lot of subscribers but it was something.

Snowyamur likes this.
  4. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

Top Poster Of Month

Regardless of the choice made, I wish you the best for your YouTube channel and your future endeavors. Given that a situation such as this came up in your mind, I'm sure you will do well as time goes on. Hoping for the best!

5. EV Nick

EV Nick Member

mine is 99% male so it seems a lot of the audience on youtube is male?

6. Kimtana

Kimtana Newbie Member

First of all, you are an amazing woman to be putting yourself out there! I have a hard enough time showing my face to my viewers (lol)!
    Secondly, because I love how you are using your channel for health, fitness, and bettering yourself, I subbed to support that view (even though I'm vegetarian, lol).
    Thirdly, YouTube's gender thing is broken. My friend, who has his own channel and is always signed in, watches and comments on my vids all the time. And my LIFETIME--not last 28 days--gender watch is 100% female. The system is broken.
    There will always be pervs and people who watch with bad intent, and you can't do anything to control that, so all you can control is your content. And I didn't see anything there that would drive the wrong crowd in, so you are doing a fantastic job!
    Good luck in your channel and with bettering yourself! I can already tell you're doing brilliantly! :D

Oh, did I mention? I'm female, so...take that 100% male viewership!

7. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Well, 2 channels (you and OP) doesn't necessarily make up the entire YouTube userbase :joy: it really depends on many things. You make car related videos, so seeing a mostly male audience isn't a surprise :D

@Sarasayshi I think you should definitely keep doing what you're doing with your channel now. There will, sadly, always be perverted people. I've had people like that with me as well. Not many, but it happens.
    If those people come by, you could either ignore them, thank them for watching, or if they start leaving nasty comments or something, delete the comments or ban the people. But I think it would be a shame to stop doing something you're interested in doing because of other people's expectations.

Ikerot likes this.
  8. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Definitely. Over on my channel, I have more females than males.
    upload_2018-10-12_14-57-58.png

To the OP, try to make your videos more visible. Something like "Hawaiian Fried Rice" doesn't really tell us what it's about. Is it an opinion video about Hawaiian fried rice? Is it a cooking video? I see on the thumbnail it says "hangover food." Should put that on the title as well so it'll get some sort of search. Something like "How to make Hawaiian fried rice" or "The best food for a hangover - Hawaiian fried rice" that kind of thing.

Over time, you're gonna find more female viewers because you are a female. Women attract female viewers. I run a yuri-focused channel, which is a girlxgirl thing, and you'd think that it'd be more heavy on the male demographics. However, I am one of the few (or just two?) yuri channel who is a girl. So that adds to the playing field.

DragoNate likes this.
  9. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Please don't give up or abandon your channel. Just make the change and keep creating good content on the topics you want. Over time you will attract a different audience.

Andrew and DragoNate like this.
  10. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

According to my stats, women don't look at my channel but I know that is complete bull. The majority of the guinea pig videos are watched by women, and I know that my daughters and wife watch from different ip addresses to mine and on their own accounts so there is another 3 right there. I hate to say it but I have to take the analytics with a pinch of salt when I know certain things are not accurate. If they get one bit wrong, how do you trust the other stuff?

DragoNate likes this.
  11. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

This is true, I have noticed before as well. My mom and at least 2 other women watch my videos, but at one point I noticed it was showing 100% male. There was nothing to show for ANY female viewer presence at all.

Ceorge_Christofi likes this.