Seeking Advice Needing some helpful tips and ideas with setting up a youtube recording room!

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by DawnDawn, May 4, 2018.

1. DawnDawn

DawnDawn New User

Okay here's what is going on. I will be having 2 cleaned out small bedrooms pretty soon. I still need to decide on what I want to do.

(1) My sister and her boyfriend moved out about a week ago
    (2) My roommate of over 2 years will be moving out this weekend

So now I will have 2 bedrooms nether are too big but are still rooms. I will use one to store and use my fitness equipment and the other for the youtube recording room.

Here's what I know so far.

(1) I know I want to paint both rooms
    (2) I know I want to use the same desk I already have
    (3) I know I want to use the microphone kit I already have
    (4) I know I don't have much for spending money
    (5) I know I have an action camera that might be able to make videos with good quality
    (6) I know my desk is not organized yet
    (7) I know the rooms are not ready yet
    (8) I know I have a few different ideas for backdrops or backgrounds
    (9) I know I have some basic lights for lighting
    (10) I know I'm a total novice when it comes to any of this stuff

Here's what I want to do first.

I want to figure out a good color for the room. I know I can get discounted paint from my local ace hardware and do it yourself center and local Walmart.

I also know I want to mount a large mirror from the top of an older dresser in the room as well. I know I want to paint it and give it a bit of an update.

I also know I want to organize the desk in a way it will help with better video and recording tip.

After all, when you know where everything is it makes things a lot easier.

Plus I know I need a bunch of tips on how to set my stuff up. If anyone has any tips for beginner novices please don't hesitate to give your 2 cents.

DragoNate likes this.
  2. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Hmm, you got some pretty darn good canvas there, Dawn!
    When painting your recording room, I highly recommend you think about where you will have your desk and what will be behind you when you record your videos.
    Depending on the kind of videos you plan on recording, it might be very beneficial to have a bright, but not light, color of green behind you. When I move into a new place (we rent, so can't paint the walls sadly) I plan to paint at least part of my studio/office walls green for recording/live streaming. This way, you can easily have a green screen without the need for fabric or an actual screen :)

3. DawnDawn

DawnDawn New User

I was considering painting one wall the small wall over by the door green and placing a comfortable chair there and using my cellphone to record. And using natural lighting from the window to brighten up the room. That way as long as I'm not looking all over the place like the mouse, keyboard and monitor I can look at the camera. If I use a floor sitting area or chair. I can have more control over the video I thought.

But painting a section of the wall green would actually be pretty easy. Even a cheap small can of paint just one coat. A wall painted green screen would be really nice I think.

DragoNate likes this.
  4. DragoNate

Yeah, it would be great idea! Natural light is also really good, it just can't be controlled. That's where most of my lighting come from as well. And a floor seating area? That sounds really cool! I've thought about having a floor desk before, or a desk that could change between going as low as the floor and high enough for me to stand.

5. DawnDawn

DawnDawn New User

I could sit a foot or two from the wall and take a thick throw blanket and fold it up five or six times to turn it into a thick pillow and sit on it so that I have a firm pillow and sit in front of the camera closer to the floor and sit the boxes of stuff for review beside the camera or right under the camera in front of it. That way the boxes or bags for shopping haul videos or review videos are out of the way of the shoot and still in arms reach for recording. Plus with sitting on the floor if you do just chest up videos you can stretch out your legs a bit. And be more comfortable.

I also have a nice sized yoga pillow I got for review a year or so ago.

I will do the video editing sitting at my desk and do the video recording sitting on the floor.

DragoNate likes this.
  6. DragoNate

I like that idea! I wish you the best of luck getting these rooms of yours set up!

7. Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter Newbie Member

1) festoon your room with cool objects that you love
    2) Go to Walfart and buy some LED Christmas lights.
    3) Add the lights behind the objects so they are back lit.

FYI: Per a stroke of good luck I have one of these and I made a frame with transparent blue cellophane. The light makes the back part of my room blue. I suggest not using these. The lights are insanely hot. This kind might be better. I'm still looking into it.

8. DawnDawn

DawnDawn New User

The cellophane idea I had also. I bought some for wrapping Easter baskets for about $0.50 cents a roll after Easter. I got a bright pretty pink and I think a purple.

Today I also purchased 6 sheets of green poster board from my local dollar tree for $0.69 cents each and a roll of clear packaging tape also.

I will get the green screen part up tomorrow hopefully.

9. Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter Newbie Member

Be VERY careful of the heat from the bulb OK? Do not leave the light on after recording. BEWARE.

10. DawnDawn

DawnDawn New User

I also have some white led strip lights with sticky tape on the back of them. I think I could also use those for behind the cellophane.