Seeking Advice I have absolutely no intro, should I change it?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Coding in Flow, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Coding in Flow

Coding in Flow Newbie Member

Hello,
    I make programming tutorials and my channel is growing pretty quickly. After 6 months I have over 5000 subscribers and I am happy with that.
    But I realized that my videos are completely raw. I have no intro and don't even mention my channel name anywhere in the video. I just get straight to the point. You could upload the exact same video on another channel and it would still work.
    I think a lot of my viewers appreciate that straight-to-the-point-ness, but I wonder if I am hurting my brand by not mentioning it somewhere. What do you think?

2. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Active Member

I keep seeing everyone recommend an intro. The biggest mistake made though is making it too long. "They" say you have to hook people in the first 15 seconds, and a long intro will kill it. I did it and you could see people were clicking off the video, before it really got started (I kept "improving" the intro and it got long ha ha). Now, on my main channel, I have a 3 second thumbnail with title, then the video starts - it seems to work well.
    On my new channel (only 5 vids so far) I just start talking, then about 5 or 10 seconds in I put my logo up for 3 seconds while I still talk. The logo just overlays the video for a few seconds. I like it better, but the channel is too young to know if it is working or not.

CaptainTime, GearVlogz and kunicross like this.
  3. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

My intro just shows over top of the video. It's a transparent animation of a dragon breathing fire. It has no sound, so I can continue to talk while it plays. I also usually start by saying the same thing in each video. Live streams are different though. For people in the future watching them, the very beginning can sometimes take 30 seconds before anything real starts happening. Before then, it's just me saying hello and double checking that everything is working.

4. bobi

bobi Newbie Member

the best intro for me is the way you show small part of the final result of the video so you can hook them and they will watch it to see how you do it
    Tips: Do not make intro with channel logo spining/jumping and so on if ppl watch 5-10 videos in a row will get annoyed of this intro

DragoNate likes this.
  5. Coding in Flow

Yea I agree with what you guys said. What I do now is just mentioning the channel name and showing my website URL in a corner for a couple seconds while the video itself is already playing.

The thing is, before I didn't even mention my channel name and people approached me and said they want to show my video somewhere (for teaching purposes), but don't know how to give attribution to me.

DragoNate likes this.
  6. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I think intros are overrated. I have my holdover 3 second intro that you used to be able to auto-add to your videos, but whenever I'm binge-watching someone's videos, I get very tired of seeing the same intro over and over again.

Damon and DragoNate like this.
  7. Coding in Flow

I would like to have one of these slide-in animations that reveal the channel name while the video is running. As you can see I don't even know how they are called, so I can't google for them.
    I think they are created with for example Adobe After Effects.

8. DragoNate

I agree. Those dubstep intros with flying text can be very annoying. especially when the intro is super loud and then you can't even hear the person speaking. I like the idea of showing the final result as you said, or something else from the video. Draegast does that a lot and I enjoy it. I just don't do it myself much. I should...

kunicross likes this.
  9. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Active Member

My intro got too long; I was playing with it too much - as many new YouTubers do. I found, as a viewer, I got sick of the long intros especially if I am binge watching a channel. So I ended up moving the intro to the outro. Most people don't hang around to the very end anyway.

DragoNate likes this.
  10. DragoNate

Oh God this reminds me of my old intro... I think it was like 15 seconds long or something... It makes me cringe and want to hide when I think about it now lol

11. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, with video just jump straight in. It's more important that you start to fulfill the promises you made in your title and thumbnail than making some fancy intro. At most my intro are three seconds, they aren't the same every time, and I don't use an intro every time. It depends on the feel and pace of the video.

My latest video series is about cameras for fishing videos. It opens

"Cameras. Let's talk about Cameras"
    Cut to intro music and my logo and Patreon graphics--three seconds total
    "Okay, so I use a Nikon D3300 camera. It's horrible."

Again the main content starts in less than three second into the video. In fact I start talking before the logo ends. It's more like 2.5 second or something.

Having an intro just for sake of an intro is the wrong way to go about it. In video you're either telling a story, capturing action or conveying emotion--hopefully all three. The intro has to help with one or more of the above. If it doesn't, leave it out. It will slow down the video and make people click the next video.

Ginger Lefty likes this.
  12. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Better no intro than a loud & long intro, 2-3 seconds is about good also I would get a short intro stretch 30-100 sec (depending on video length) in front of the video - demolition Ranch for example does this about perfect.

Damon and Ginger Lefty like this.
  13. GearVlogz

GearVlogz Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

After seeing a video mentioned on the TubeBuddy's channel regarding the importance of using the word "You" as to how it relates to longer watch times. I made a call to action intro that I've used in my last four or five videos. Maybe still to early to tell but anything that can help I'm willing to give a try. So I took aspects from what everyone has said. I took that intro & redid it into a transparent.png and overlayed it onto starting footage for my current video that I'm working on. The intro itself is around ten seconds but I'm hoping that it will keep the viewer watching. I've uploaded this test footage for you all to see.

Sorry, Andrew, that I did not post this in the other appreciate forum but I figured that this video is related to this topic it would make more sense here.

Ginger Lefty likes this.
  14. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

Okay, the first 2 seconds start with voiceover 1 second in:
    "Cars & Coffee episode six:"
    -Cut to the cars
    - voiceover "Canepa Open House, but first check us out on Facebook & Twitter.

or

Cars & Coffee Ep6. Start voice over 0.5 seconds in
    "The Canepa Open House"
    -cut straight to music on the frame with car footage
    "Remember to check us out on Facebook and Twitter"
    -cut to the main video

That's five seconds. You've told people who you are, what you're doing, and where they can contact you. If you want to thank people, thank them at the end for watching. Take more time there to point them where you want them to go. People don't want to be thanked. They want to see what you promised them. If you don't get them within five second, you've lost them.

Here's video from one of my favorite YouTubers who is also in the automobile industry. Andrew St. Pierre White is preparing for a Trans-Australian outback expedition. This video series is showing how he has prepared his truck.

Notice how he has many of the same elements you do, but see how much faster he pulls you in: 3 seconds flat! That how fast your intro needs to be. He captures the hectic pace of preparing just with the fast frames rates and stuff.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Ginger Lefty and GearVlogz like this.
  15. GearVlogz

GearVlogz Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

Damon, Good feedback, I'll give it a try.

16. EV Nick

EV Nick Member

IT REALLY depends, i made an intro very short and sweet i also made an outro, I pretty much killed them both off on my later videos, however some videos need a short intro so i edit the intro in, its all down to does the intro add value or take it away?
    In some aspects it might put new subscribers off, in others it might give you a brand identity,

sometimes it best to ask your subscribers if they "like the intro" or think you should ditch it after all there the ones watching your content

GearVlogz and Damon like this.
  17. Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter Member Member of the Month

Yea, I agree with other who say intros can be a pita. I you decide to make one make is five seconds or less. The best intros come in after you sell the value of the video in the first few seconds.

FailedTeacher and Ginger Lefty like this.
  18. FailedTeacher

FailedTeacher Newbie Member

Agree with Scott, they're very good for branding but in the beginning I would worry more about hooking your audience.

In my very honest experience - the outro has often brought me back to videos more than anything, especially if they leave on a nice/funny note and l

19. Buddy Shearer

Buddy Shearer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

I think you have to take your content and your target users into consideration.

Like you I am a coder so my target group of users could careless about the intro. I do not have intros in my videos. I jump into the code and my users are watching to the end.

Just my opinion.

Buddy

20. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

I put up the thumbnail, and at 3 seconds fade straight to whatever i'm doing. If its face to camera or straight to the bench it doesn't matter. I have started keeping the video subject visible into the next 4 seconds and then fade that out. I thought about a nice logo, clips and tune but in the end decided it was pointless as it just added to the length of the video. Some of the channels I watch with intros I skip that bit as its not what I came for, I want to see the video. The title told me what it was about, I don't need 15 seconds of being told again what the video is about. After all... 'if you think its something you would be interested in then stick around' is silly... if I wasn't interested I wouldn't have clicked on the video in the first place...

Buddy Shearer likes this.