Community How Many Views and Subscribers did you Have When Your Channel Took Off?

Discussion in 'YouTube Discussion' started by avrona, Feb 10, 2018.

1. avrona

avrona Newbie Member

So I've been recently looking a lot on how my channel compares to others in terms of growth rate, etc., and it's been always apparent that my channel is growing extremely slowly, with only 220 subscribers and 9.5k views after 4 and a half years. So I want to know if you have a channel that took off and what were your statistics like when it started taking off. I really want to see how my channel compares to ones that have managed to succeed and take off.

My RandomGamePlay and Paul like this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

What do you consider a channel "Taking off"? :)

3. avrona

avrona Newbie Member

When you start getting more consistent growth,views and subscribers, and start getting an active audience.

4. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I have a direct correlation. I started taking my channel serious six months ago. I created a video I got asked A LOT. "How did you get verified" From there, I started making content I enjoyed, and that answered searchable questions. That took my channel from 400 subscribers, to almost 1500 at the time of writing this :)

Paul likes this.
  5. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

My account date is from SEP 2006, but that was just making an account so I could log in and make comments. Over the years I posted a few vacation videos, because I travel a lot. By JUN 2016 I only had 37 vids and somehow had 147 subs (yes, I have a spreadsheet ha ha). This was when I decided to take my channel seriously and monetized it. I had 43,000 views, and I think at the time all you needed was over 10,000. No real reason to monetize that early - there is no ad money at that level - but I felt YT might promote the channel more if monetized. I do not know if they do or not. (at 1,300 subs I still no real advertising money)

So, although I have had my YT account for 11 years (really? wow) I have only been working the channel about a year and a half. Since JUN2016 I went from 37 vids to 239. So I have been trying to stay consistent in uploading. I went from 147 subs to 1,300. When I got TubeBuddy, in AUG2017, I went through all my old videos and fixed thumbnails, titles, descriptions, and tags. As soon as I redid those older vids I saw a spike in views, and because of that, also a bump in subs. The old vids were dead, so no harm in updating the meta info. I also made a template so all my thumbnails have the same look (my channel name, and a border - the image changes for each vid).

The biggest growth time I had was my first 6 months after monetizing. That was when I started uploading regularly, and promoting some on Facebook (only a few vids, I don't want to spam). The main things I try to do is upload regularly (although not on a precise schedule), reply to EVERY comment. If they took the time to comment I owe it to them to reply... and it also makes my comment count look better ha ha. As small as my channel is I can still reply to all - Ellen does not have to. I so not have a bubbly, lively, personality, but I try to keep my vids pretty positive. Using upload defaults I keep the meta info pretty consistent across all my vids. I think that helps with searchability.

I went and looked at some of your vids. The newer ones seem to have good tags. Some of the older ones (minecraft animation, for example) had very few tags. If the older vids are not getting a lot of views you might consider going through them and redo the tags, titles, thumbnails, and descriptions. When I did that for my older vids I got a nice bump in traffic.

I don't know about your market, but in mine (expat vids) I find the 'talking head' videos get more traffic. I like doing vacation vids and keep the camera pointed out on the scenery... but my audience responds better when I point the camera at myself, and talk to them. So I have been trying to do that more, although I still prefer to be behind the camera ha ha.

6. kunicross

kunicross Member

For me its about the opposite - the less I show my head the more the people watch... :joy:

For me the last year was really when my channel took off especially when I got over 100 subscribers and joined this forum - but mostly what happend was that whenever I had a especially successful video / topic that boosted the channel enormously and kept it on a higher level of activity - I'll try to add my watchtime report to illustrate that a bit.
    Screenshot_20180213-145555.png
    Basically what happend was always that i was early on a topic and my video showed up on slightly more successful channels and than I started to get ranked higher in the searches as well and that all got my motivation up as well leading me to upload more stuff and now the first companies come knocking onto my door and seriously want me to review their stuff.

Also a bit later the same thing happend to my secondary channel - but there I can pin it down to the specific video.
    I did fun review on a carpet cleaning machine (certain stores do lent them for free here) and that video happend to land up on 1st place in the recommendations of the official (and a bit crappy and disappointing) video by the machines manufacturer - so that video took the whole channel up with it:
    Screenshot_20180213-150546.png
    So in both cases a big rise from bascially nothing.

My RandomGamePlay and Paul like this.
  7. avrona

avrona Newbie Member

1500 after 6 months of taking it seriously? I've been taking it seriously since my first video that went up 4 and a half years ago, yet I only have 219 subscribers!

8. Paul

Paul Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

@avrona, I just looked at your channel. Along with what everyone else has said about branding. Definitely put a logo or something recognizable on all your thumbnails and the same logo look on your channel art. Also separate the different things you do (ie: Growing on YouTube videos ect...) with a playlist on your channel page.

Watch as many of the big boy's videos that you possibly can ( TubeBuddy, Nick Nimmin, Owen Video, Robero Blake, Brian G Johnson, Derral Eves and Tim Schmoyer. Now really implement what you're learning. TubeBuddy makes this a lot easier than it used to be.

It took me 8 years to get 5,000 subscribers... I initially started my Youtube channel in 2009 for my drywall and painting business. I used Youtube for SEO to get top search results on my website and my Youtube videos as well. My channel was more of a Before and After project showcase that I could put videos on my website. Little did I know how Youtube would blossom into what it has today. The SEO worked great. But, I really didn't get any traction on the platform until I uploaded a how to video in 2013 while on a drywall job that got more views on than any other of my videos. (Still my #2 video to this day with almost 500,000 views). That's when I realized where there was a need that I needed to focus on. Just in a different way then I was doing before

Fast forward to today I'm about to hit 10,000 subs by tomorrow. Keep in mind that I just hit 5,000 subs in Nov. of 2017 (3 months ago)
    I did this by honing in on my analytics. And implementing everything that I've been learning from the big boy's. Titles, tags, thumbnails, descriptions, sharing videos, giving back in the comment section of popular channels within my niche and blogging about my videos.

Now with everything I've learned I can create searchable and engaging videos about drywall, texturing and painting.

Watch some videos about "Hero videos" Where you take your time and focus on every aspect of the back end and front end elements on a topic that you know is awesome and that you are passionate about. A hero video can be a little longer too. Then you can possibly get three videos out of your hero video. Then add cards with links to the other two videos and back to the hero video. And watch your Subscriber count and watch-time skyrocket! :cool:

Hope this helps, -Paul
    --- Post updated ---
    IMG_8380.PNG IMG_8381.PNG IMG_8382.PNG

9. avrona

avrona Newbie Member

I do already watch them and implement what they say, along with reading/watching all other guides I could find. Yet still nothing.

10. Paul

Paul Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

Sorry, but your channel page and playlists do not reflect that. To implement everything they say is a huge feat. I have no where near implemented everything they say. I think you need to take that "I already have done everything" out of your vocabulary if you truly want to grow your channel... Simply because it is very clear that you need to implement more of what they say to me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. avrona

avrona Newbie Member

Well. what exactly do I have left?

12. Ehtisham Muhammad

Ehtisham Muhammad Member TubeBuddy Pro

this is your hard word and that can help you to grow fas

13. rami Galli

rami Galli New User

hey everyone
    i started my channel in 25/12/2017
    my first video uploaded in 3/1/2018
    today i have 190 subscribers
    380 hours real watching time

14. My RandomGamePlay

My RandomGamePlay New User

for thread starter and everyone reply this tread, i must say thanks!
    this conversation give me a lot ideas what i should do with my own channel. step by step i will do everything you guys did.
    THANK YOU !!

Paul likes this.
  15. beardedconsumer

beardedconsumer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

Well, I don't have any big numbers. I currently have 75 subs with a little over 800 views. I didn't start to see growth into I begin to post on regular. In 2017 I think I posted maybe 4 videos for the whole year. I have since double that since the end of Dec 2017.