Seeking Advice How Have You Increased Your Watchtime in the Past?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by MarieArienetteWolfe, May 22, 2018.

1. MarieArienetteWolfe

MarieArienetteWolfe New User

my watch time tanked, views are up which is nice but yeah.. went from average 4min to 59sec overnight. I'm used to some fluctuation but this was a lot.. maybe it has everything to do with the clickbait title I used recently..

Anyway, I want to look to the future and think of ways to increase my watch time as much as possible. My goal for this year is to have a video with a straight line for the average view duration graphic in YT Studio

In your experience which videos did really well for you on watch time, and why do you think that is?

2. EV Nick

EV Nick Member

Weird thing is all the videos i think will TANK, do well!
    And all the videos i think will go viral TANK
    Most important is to make titles clickbait BUT not incorrect to the video.
    So don't put "NAKED FISH" if the video is about Birds wearing clothes.

Pay more attention to your watch time over a month, I go up and down all the time sometimes i login to my YT setting panel and its all green arrows pointing up, other times i login and there all RED pointing down.

More important is the overall goal, is your channel growing, are views and subs still increasing?

If your still unsure on what you might want to improve go to the channel review section on forum.

Jimmi Ellis, kunicross and Paul like this.
  3. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

In terms of watch time for me it was been review videos. I did a review of a mud motor, a fishfinder and a boat trailer, and those have had the greatest watch time to date on my channel. For me, once I started learning how to edit video, that's when I noticed a consistent increase in watch time.

Vlogs can be harder to establish--much like your young roses--because you're relying on your personality to drive everything, as opposed to doing a simple How-to-Plant-Roses video series. The difference is that vlogs are about us the creators. How-to or other types of keyword rich video is about them. They're already looking for information on roses. that's what they really care about. Cold-hard reality: People only care about themselves, so if the video isn't about them and what they want, in general they leave pretty fast.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Andrew, kunicross and Paul like this.
  4. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Take a look onto which videos have decent watchtime and audience retention and learn from that - if your watchtime dropped so much that could be bad but if you started posting more short videos your average watch time would drop as well so its really much more important to look at audience retention then average watch time. (also setting the average video length exactly at your average watch time will in reality drop your average watch time because its more about people not watching your videos all through to the end.

And then - you do not have so many views in general so its very easy to overinterpret analytics - they tend to work much better once you get several hunderts views per day - else single events and videos do have way to much of an impact onto the statictis.

Paul and Damon like this.
  5. MarieArienetteWolfe

still growing yeah, when I checked my analytics this morning my average view duration was back up to 2min lol, for clickbait, would this be too much?
    the video is about the first time I played on stage with a band so I called it 'My First Time', did pretty well with views and watchtime ^_^
    --- Post updated ---
    sometimes I see other channels that have more of that 'how to' approach and I get a bit jealous of their success but vlogging was a goal for me, I realized it would be super slow growth.

Maybe I should do follow up videos sometimes that are more search and new user friendly, like if my vlog about roses does well, next week I could do a video that isn't about vlogs, but is more like, 3 tips for planting roses and I could have the vlog send people to that new video, and the new video send people back to the vlog maybe
    --- Post updated ---
    yeah I'm still averaging about 50 daily views so I've got a ways to go I guess.. I actually did drastically reduce the length of my videos. I had a problem towards the end of last year where I couldnt seem to make videos less than 20 min. (I know thats insanely long for someone with no following XD) and now I'm at a point where half the videos I make are 10 min and the other half are 5

Damon, Paul and kunicross like this.
  6. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

I think it's always a bit of a problem giving the video the time it needs but not making it too long - but having a 1 hour video and having just a couple of people watching it all through can actually boost your watch time a lot - I guess longer videos actually have their place in YouTube nowadays but the person watching does need to have the free time to start watching a 1 hour video.

For example a channel I watch sometimes - saving thrown puts up 3-4 hour long pen&paper role playing sessions - It's about impossible to watch them in one session because they are so long but I would guess their average watch time is somewhat above one hour...

Since watchtime is by far the most important thing at the moment a long video is actually good if it keeps the audience hooked - just less people will go and watch it in the first place so it's hard to get a good balance but probably good to have a bit of both in your libary.

MarieArienetteWolfe likes this.
  7. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

My videos are anything from ten minutes up to an hour each. I also keep my recent upload playlist up to date with a mix of video lengths. I average about 6 minutes watchtime. Some videos get lots of views (strangely enough, my old reviews or first build video) and others get little attention.

certainly my review videos get a lot of watchtime because people want to see the product. My build or restoration series.. only the hardcore masochists can listen to me speak drivel for an hour before heading for the booze and sleeping pills.

It helps if you have family with a different ip address to your own who can just leave your video playing in the background with the volume down..... Not that I would ask anyone to hit my all videos playlist before going away for a week on holiday.. oh no... never... just to boost watchtime... oh no....

MarieArienetteWolfe likes this.
  8. MarieArienetteWolfe

hardcore masochists lol I have those too, a lot of my vlogs are me with no makeup, unbrushed hair, its straight up rough. The people who watch those to the end are my favorite people in the whole world

Maybe I should plan up some longer videos, Mine range from 5min to 30min and those 30min videos have few views but good watch time, perhaps an hour long video with more planning would be a good move

Ceorge_Christofi likes this.
  9. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Member TubeBuddy Star

I used to get the fact that I had the perfect face for radio. In fact, I'm in the process of updating channel graphics and thumbnails because I have had a haircut and no longer look like a psychotic serial killer.

I'm lucky as my subject matter lends itself to long videos. If I went to short snips of less than 5 mins I have a feeling people would complain that they never actually saw me do any work or restorations, just my talking headshot.

I'll be honest and say I'm not a vlog watcher so have no idea what the normal format is. My youngest is a make-up watcher and she thinks some tutorials drag but others are right because the 'face' in the video is more confident or is actually teaching rather than just 'doing their own' makeup.

I also have to be a channels dream subscriber. I watch a video from start to finish 90% of the time. As a creator myself I like to think people are watching the whole video, if nothing else out of politeness. I feel rude if I go for the mouse to fast forward stuff.

Buddy Shearer likes this.
  10. Buddy Shearer

Buddy Shearer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

You mentioned "psychotic serial killer". I had to laugh at that.

At least you don't look like Charles Manson! My kids saw an old photo of me (my college years) when I had long hair and a beard and they said I looked like Charles Manson. I wonder how many Subs I would have with that picture on my thumbnails. hahahaha

Buddy
    --- Post updated ---
    Sorry I got side tracked by George. Bad George... Bad George... ;)

For me when I do a detailed video showing a complex programming technique the viewers will watch it from beginning to end. The trick that I found is that I have to tell them up front just how complicated it is and the difficulty in getting it to work. Then they ask questions when they cannot get it to work.

When something drives people nuts and they watch it over and over then you know you have something.

Buddy

Ceorge_Christofi likes this.
  11. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Pro

Here's a couple pro tips that have increased my watchtime.

1)
    Look in your analytics on any one video of yours. Now look at the average view duration. Whatever that is, place a YouTube Card 5 seconds before the average view duration a viewer leaves. Utilizing the card to direct viewers to some of your other videos and playlists. This way you might be able to entice them to go to another video or playlist before they leave.

2) Add links to other videos and playlists in your description and include the video title or playlist title as well.

I hope this helps and good luck! :)

Damon and Ceorge_Christofi like this.