Seeking Advice Help me prepare for 3 days of blogging and doing interviews

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Skeletorus, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

So in a couple of weeks I am heading to a gaming convention and i see it as an opportunity to get some current news related to gaming. Something I think will be highly searchable. I also have an interview with a developer which i am excited about. However, I have never done anything like this and would like some advice from you guys on what I can do to prepare.

Cheers guys!!!

santudas and Andrew like this.
  2. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I would highly suggest you just be yourself! That's the best way to do it! Be confident, and even if you're nervous, don't worry too much. I bet they are as well ^^ Just pretend that the developer is a friend you haven't talked to in a while and you're just revisiting.

That being said, both of those things are super awesome and I wish you the best for it!!

GearVlogz likes this.
  3. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

cheers DragoNate. I see yourlogo around a lot and I like to think of you as Pete the Dragon.
    I very much plan to be myself and try 'interviewing' like a normal conversation but what I am after I things to make sure my videos are good like i have ordered a lapel mic to aid in audio for the interview. stuff like that. Things i won't think of because i am new but am lucky enough to be part of a community that is about helping eachother through. I am also lucky enough to have my wife come along with me and do some filming for me (photos and filming are a hobby of hers too)

cheers PETE

DragoNate likes this.
  4. DragoNate

Haha, the dragon is actually purely my own creation ^^ I just wanted something that could go well with my name, Nathan, and I liked drgons, so I thought Dragon - Nathan ---> DragoNate :D

A lapel mic would definitely be a great idea and if your wife will be there to film, she'll be a great help as well!
    I can't think of any other things that would be a necessity for something like this, other than to hopefully find a place with good lighting. If nothing exists, outside can work well, but wind won't sound good in the mic, unless you have a wind filter for it or something. I don't actually know what that would be called properly :p

5. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

I think they are actually called dead cats.....

DragoNate likes this.
  6. Timbo

Timbo Member TubeBuddy Pro

Here are the tips I was given that worked for me. :)
    • Do your research, send a list of questions in advance.
    • Ask if they would like to make any points.
    • Make sure you listen to their answers and not jump to the next question.
    • If their answer doesn't make sense ask the question again.
    • Shoot B-roll of you asking the questions before you start the interview and cut it in later....
    • shoot lots of b-roll.
    • Always get them to say their name and job position at the start of the interview
    • and get them to tell you what they actually do for a job.

7. DragoNate

:O sad!

8. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

yes this is what i am after. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

9. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

This is great Advice! I have recently started doing interviews, and here is some more to think about.

Ask before, if there is anything they want to shout out. Bring value to the interview.
    Ask if they have a good side, you'd be surprised before you start and then they ask to change sides.
    Making sure of noise distractions, and check your battery levels!

Paul, GearVlogz and Skeletorus like this.
  10. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

Thank you boss man. Thanks to everyone who has answered. I am so excited to do this

DragoNate likes this.
  11. GearVlogz

GearVlogz Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

Not sure if your Lavier mic will be recorded into the camera or digital recorder? Some Lavier mics may not pick up what the person your interviewing is saying. You could use a handheld digital recorder like the Zoom H1 to record all of your interviewee's parts.

Pick a spot that does not have high foot traffic, Trust me I had one goof walk past two manufacturer reps acting as blockers, past my tripod and camera right in the middle of an interview.

Skeletorus likes this.
  12. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

GearVlogz, thank you for the advice. Sorry i haventreplyed sooner. My laptop crashed and lost my pinned tabs so just realised i was missing this one.

Anyway, i had a blast at EGX Rezzed and got some good footage and interviews done. In the end i used the lavier mic as a hand held mic but got pretty good audio

Thank you to everyone who commented

Andrew and GearVlogz like this.
  13. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

What did you learn? What worked, and what didn't?

GearVlogz and Damon like this.
  14. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

I learned that practice is key to everything. I did 2 interviews at Rezzed and the 2nd one felt more relaxed and flowed better so the more you do the better it will get. The 2 guys were awesome, really friendly and engaging.

I need to find a way to make my audio quality better. Although I managed to get it to an acceptable level where the background hum of the expo was just audible (tried removing it completely but made our voices sound weird and realised i liked a slight hum of the crowd chatter) and I just need to learn how to fix audio so it sounds clear with no ting effect. Might be the software I use, audacity.

I also found that at the beginning I was a bit overwhelmed because when I got tobthe expo other vlogers and journalist had loads of gadgets like extra lighting, gadget to measure lighting, gimbles for their cameras (I need one of these lol) and loads and i felt unprepared but realised that this was my first time so i just had to use the equipment I had which, in the end, worked.

The best thing was the Mic I had. Without it all of my hard work would have been for nothing.

Thank you Andrew for following this is you want to see the results then they are here:
    Double Kick Heroes -
    Space Station Continuum -

15. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    GearVlogz and Paul like this.
  16. Skeletorus

Skeletorus Newbie Member

Cheers dude ill check it out

Paul likes this.
  17. santudas

santudas New User