Question Have Pranks on Youtube Gone To Far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beardedconsumer, Jan 29, 2018.

1. beardedconsumer

beardedconsumer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

There is UK youtuber..will not say his name. However, he is from London; where the police have seen an increase in attacks where people are getting acid thrown on them. So the youtuber thought it would be funny to go around throwing water in people face. I don't find this funny what so ever, however its a bunch more content like this all over the platform.

So my question is ...when is it going to far with a prank?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

When you bring someone in danger or have completely bring them into fight or flight mode.

I sometimes get pranks that happens to the pranker (i.e. they walk down the road, slip on a banana, and hurt themselves) because that instills a bit of fear into the watcher, but then they feel relieved after finding out that it's a prank. I don't think it's a great idea to do something like pulling a gun on someone and telling them that it's just a prank.

I thought a prank is suppose to make people happy, and I mean the people who is being pranked and not the people watching the video. If it's a serious situation in London and people are on their toes about it, why be the boy who cry wolf?

Guitar Hack likes this.
  3. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Yeah, they've been going too far for quite a while now.

beardedconsumer likes this.
  4. beardedconsumer

That's my thing you are putting yourself and others in danger. What if someone pulls out a weapon and attacks you. The yelling its a prank is not always going to stop somebody from jumping on you. I know people get mad and say all the pranks are fake, but then you have people doing things like this. I think things need to come to a even spot.
    --- Post updated ---
    yup and people are saying they don't see anything wrong with it. The reasoning is..."O because he said at the beginning of the video he said it was a prank. And it never said it was an acid prank"

5. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

I always had a strong dislike of prank "humor" of almost any kind.

"Yea you have been humiliated on public TV but now, it was only a prank so be a good sport and swallow your pride!"

The problem is, that it's extremely difficult to create a "good" prank who leaves people amazed and everyone walks from it with a positive expirience - almost impossible and than try to be original as well...

It's a bit like horror - what youtube pranksters do is mostly jump scaring people - but horror which only relies on that is kinda "meh" - five nights at Freddy episode 24 vs. watching the Ring on a VHS tape...

Well I don't like horror very much either.

Sometimes a prankster goes to prison if he thinks screaming "I got a bomb" in the train station is terrible funny - guess people in the US are too scared of getting shot to be that stupid...

BlueBard likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Perhaps we should realize, being a jerk and then saying "It's a prank" isn't an excuse. I think of a prank as switching salt for sugar. No one gets hurt, and the worst thing that happens is that food they eat will be a bit salty. "Throwing a bomb" or other terrible actions, are being excused as "pranks."

Guitar Hack, Razvion and kunicross like this.
  7. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

I really need a "let me through, I'm a famous YouTuber!" T-Shirt! :laughing:

8. beardedconsumer

I'm with on that's what I thought a prank was. Maybe a jump scare type thing every now and then. But now its people physically assaulting people and claiming that's a prank. Once you put your hands on me and throw something at me the whole prank thing is gone out the window.

Andrew and kunicross like this.
  9. Razvion

Razvion Member TubeBuddy User

I cannot think of good pranks that ended up being good for the person being pranked. As Andrew said, they just think using "it is just a prank" is a good excuse.
    So to answer your question, 90% of YouTube Prank videos gone to far !

Andrew and beardedconsumer like this.
  10. Andrew

Only prank I think that could actually be good "I told you I was going to pay for the meal" (They get mad, say funny things, clearly upset) You reveal you are paying for their meal for a year with a sponsorship of food. Great tie in, and it is a genuine prank ,but then an amazing sentiment.

beardedconsumer likes this.
  11. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

Some of the pranks are funny but when they turn into "shock pranks", they are only going to result in a toxic response and the creators often no better...

Most of the pranks though, are extremely duplicated and overused by channel after channel. Anymore, I skip the prank videos.

Andrew likes this.
  12. Andrew

I agree. I also think Challenges, are trying to get into the prank territory...

13. beardedconsumer

I agree somewhat...I'm out with the challenges long as the person agrees to be apart of the challenge.

14. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I thought challenges has always been diving head first into dangerous territories. The ice and salt challenge, the cinnamon challenge, and jesus christ the tide pod ._.

DragoNate, BlueBard and Andrew like this.
  15. Andrew

Last one is by FAR the worst. We should do the let's not kill each other challenge.

BlueBard likes this.
  16. BlueBard

BlueBard New User

Daddy o Five anyone?

That was supposed to be a "pranking" channel, but it ended up being far more abuse than anything else. (Their victims (kids) couldn't get away, endless pool of pranks. Ha. Ha.)

Now anyone can say; "But the kids were taken away by child services! This was clearly abuse! It's not the same!"

But there was still over 100 000 people who not only watched and liked it, but subscribed to a channel which was essentially abuse, prancing around as a prank channel. No matter if it was, people still liked it.

I don't think Prank channels will ever go too far. There will always be people who get a kick out of watching someone else's misery.

... I'm a little cynical today >_<

Andrew and Ikerot like this.
  17. Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack Active Member TubeBuddy Pro

18. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I agree. I think those challenges are just a way for some sick person to get a kick out of how many people try it and hurt themselves. There was a Criminal Minds episode about something very similar to this. The episode is called Risky Business and the "game" as it was called was started by some sicko who wanted to see it happen. Sadly, too many people out there can't say no to a challenge, even if it risks their lives.
    I'm with you! Maybe more challenges like that will help make the world a better place? Maybe a "get work done" challenge!

19. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Well there had been prank shows on TV before there was evene a Intetnet - same with "reality" TV and so on and there are probably some handful of people, executives and script writers responsible so it's actually worse than one Logan Paul screwing up mostly on his own.

There is a hugh market for cheap, crappy entertainment - guess people just like to turn of their brains ever so often and just relax...

DragoNate likes this.
  20. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

cheap crappy entertainment can be really nice sometimes, when you're bored and want something easy & interesting but don't have much time to really take something in I guess.
    Also, some prank channels on T.V. got cancelled because they went too far. There was one "kicked in the balls" thing that I heard about. That guy with a giant orange afro would go around kicking random guys between the legs on film. It got cancelled because it can cause serious damage to someone and shouldn't be done randomly (or at all, really...)