Strategy Going Daily, Tentative Schedule, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Damon, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

I've decided to go daily on YouTube: (1) to see if I can do it, (2) to monitor the results as see what happens over the course of the next year, and (3) change to a batch process model for my videos. In other words record all my videos up front in each category for the month in one session. For instance my how-to videos record four or five how-to videos all at on time. That will provide footage for a month's worth of how-to videos.

I have a tentative schedule planned:
    • How-to Tuesday
    • Podcast Wednesday
    • Product & Project Thursday
    • Philosophy Friday
    • Saturdays? Gone Fishing!
    Mondays are a strategic day for me, to think, rest, plan and get ready.

Tuesday will be for how-to videos whether it's fishing how-to, YouTube fishing channel how-to, business- how-to: a lot of possibilities.

Podcast Wednesday will be for my new Outdoorpreneur's Podcast: a new podcast for people who want to turn their passion for the outdoors into a thriving business.

Product & Project Thursdays will focus on either a product review or a special project like the boat I'm building.

Philosophy Fridays are where I share thoughts, sage speak and faith about how life relates to fishing and how fishing relates to life.

Saturdays? Gone Fishing! That's were I plan to post my fishing videos, either fishing, talk about fishing or live chat about fishing.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. beardedconsumer

beardedconsumer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

I think you can do it long as you plan out your content. I would be afraid of uploading the same content daily. How often are you uploading now. I would maybe suggest increasing your upload to maybe twice a week if you upload once a week now. That way you can see if its something you can handle.

3. Damon

I always plan out my content. I upload three to five days a week now. The only thing I'm really doing is changing to a batch process model. Instead of recording, editing, uploading and promoting every day. It's Monday, record every video in that category for a month, Tuesday edit, and etc. Batch process-style, like a production. That way I can do a month's worth of work in about two days.

Again I'm not uploading the same content every day. Diversity in my content is the one reason people keep watching my channel.

Paul and beardedconsumer like this.
  4. beardedconsumer

beardedconsumer Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

I say go for it then you can only see good results from it. If you are already uploading 3 to 5 times a week you should be fine. I know for me the most I can do is two videos at a time before my 3rd old is over being quiet.

Damon likes this.
  5. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I find that a lot of people are very gung-ho about a really full schedule. On the plus side, YouTube rewards more frequent uploads, but on the minus side, it can really drain you after a while, especially on weeks when other things are happening in your life. We upload 3 days per week, and that, even with two of us and very short videos, is pretty difficult when things are busy in our daily lives.

So if you have the energy and the planning skills to keep at it, I say go for it! But do make sure you're doing "wellness checks" on yourself as a creator and on your channel.

GearVlogz, beardedconsumer and Damon like this.
  6. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

As a watcher and subscriber I really dislike daily posting channels - it's not as bad if it's diverse stuff where I wouldn't watch everything anyway but with niche stuff it really gives me subscriber fatigue and usually ends with me unsubscribing or rarely watching anything from that channel any more.

I usually wouldn't recommend publishing more than 3-4 videos a week unless audience is really hooked (I should use that word more often in regards to your channel ;)) (of course with shorter videos more uploads are possible and vice versa)

I think it's always a hard balance between creator and audience happiness - you have it well planned and organized that's really a key point in the whole process no matter what - I just would evaluate the whole plan against the metrics some times and use that for improvement.

So far everyone I ever knew and watched who did daily uploads did burn out and fell of the wagon at some point so I would recommend to stock up a couple of videos for dry times of low motivation, sickness, cold weather... ;)

Paul and Damon like this.
  7. Justinochek

Justinochek Newbie Member

I strongly don't recommend this.

I know several Youtubers who upload daily and aren't overly succesful. This is for a couple of reasons, but the biggest being that youre "spreading yourself too thin".

Gaining traction on Youtube isn't about quantity, its about quality.

You shouldn't upload more than 3 times a week, max.

The time you'll put into the extra videos and content is much better focused on 1-2 videos per week and making them that much better. Think about how you can improve your videos, how can you add value, how can you improve the quality, community engagement, etc.? That will all take lots of time.

I only post once a week and I gained another 50k subscribers in the past month. I focus on quality, not quantity.

Just my few cents :)

Paul likes this.
  8. Damon

Okay here are my result from trying a daily routine or rather batch process of making YouTube videos:

Daily on YouTube: too much of a strain. Not enough time to work on my business.
    Batch processing YouTube videos were I record a month's worth of video over the course of one to three days? Excellent! I shot nine videos this weekend. At three video per week or so, that gets me three weeks ahead.

If I did the daily thing it would always be talking head stuff. That's too restrictive for me. I gotta get out there and explore. I'm an adventurer at heart. Artistically speaking I want my videos to look more cinematic, more of a BBC-NatGeo type of documentary. By definition you're talking higher production value.

But all high production value, I might only get out two or three high-value production a year.

Happy medium? I've begun thinking in playlists per month instead of number of videos per week. In other words spend more time in SEO, setting up playlists, and fleshing out those playlists on a monthly basis, whether high production or not.

For instance If I set a goal of two to three playlists per month with each playlist consisting of three to 10 videos each, I'd still average two or three videos per week, but these would be much better placed strategically. It helps me to think in longer spans of time than just every week. If I only shoot video once per month, I can spend more time in post production where the magic really happens. That my style.

Anyway just wanted to give an update on that process.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Ginger Lefty, GearVlogz and Paul like this.