Strategy Effective Strategies for Gaining Subscribers on your YouTube Channel

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Shawn Gossman, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

Hello everyone,

I am a firm believer that if you have knowledge about something, you should share it with the world so that everyone may rejoice with that awesome knowledge. In part of that statement, I wanted to create an article here on the TubeBuddy community focusing on effective strategies that I use as a method of gaining more subscribers on my YouTube channel. So here we go and I hope you all enjoy this article and my tips. :)

Getting Over the Dream World of Subscribers is the First Step
    Don't be bothered by these videos, advertisements and articles about "How you can get 300,000 subscribers in 10 days, etc." Most of them are promoting methods that could potentially get your account suspended or methods that are so simple and common sense but take real time and effort to get those types of numbers. I feel like once you can overcome the anxiety and hopes of growing your YouTube really large and really quickly, you can move on to actually using effective strategies to enlarge your subscriber count focusing on smaller goals that will not overwhelm you and burn you out. YouTube is huge and it gets bigger by the hour, in the past, gaining a lot of subscriber quickly was probably more possible rather than today whereas there is so many different channels for people to go through before they find yours. Think reality and set aside your hopes to get huge overnight because it just doesn't happen all that often.

The thing you need to focus on the most is setting small goals for various different activities associated with your channel and time spent on YouTube. A few goals you might consider are:
    • Determine the amount of time that you can spend shooting video, editing, uploading and posting each week. Start small, there is no reason to rush into it and become overwhelmed and burn out of it.
    • Determine what niche you want to focus on. I chose my niche based on what interests me the most, what I am most passionate about. Write down a list of interests and choose which one you do the most and never get sick of.
    • Create a 3-5 year plan. Like in businesses, create a strategy about how you wish your channel to become within 3-5 years. This is where you need to be realistic and consider your goals wisely.
    One thing about goals is that they should never be such a challenge that it creates anxiety and/or depression in your life. Why do you think most people never meet their "New Year" resolutions? Because most people choose resolutions that would take more than a year to complete. Choose goals that you can actually work to achieve in a short amount of time. Long term goals are good as long as they are short terms goals to support the completion of such long term objectives.

Get Social!
    In order to effectively gain subscribers for your YouTube Channel, you need to build a brand not only for your channel for for yourself related to the channel. This should happen internally (within YouTube) and externally (outside of YouTube). Make sure you choose the name you wish to build your brand on and use in internally and externally so that you can actually build a brand on your brand.

So let's take a look at some of the way to gain subscribers by being social internally on YouTube:
    • Replies: You should always try to reply on every comment made on your video, especially while your channel is small and it is easier to do. Your comments should not only be positive and welcoming, they should be made in an effort to continue a discussion. Ask questions, get personal (in a good way) and expand the scope of the discussion that folks are starting on your video. Keep them coming back to talk more, it helps build your brand as well as needed relationships that can essentially convert to loyal subscribers.
    • Commenting: Another awesome feature to help get you and your channel noticed is the ability to comment on other videos. You should be doing this. Do this on other channels that directly relate to your actual niche or channel topic. Don't spam. Don't post "sub for sub" comments. They usually don't work and they could get your YouTube account suspended because it is often seen and reported as spam. Focus on your username/channel name being the link, that's all you need, assuming that you have chosen a good name to show off your brand. For example, my channel name is 'Hiking with Shawn', there is no need to tell a video creator in the comment I make that I too have a hiking channel, right? It is all about brand building. Instead of self-promoting, make real comments that make the video creator happy, ask them questions, mention parts of the video you liked the most - make them think, I want to know more about the comment maker because he is a cool guy or gal. Be real in the comments for the best results.
    • Likes and shares: Like your own videos, like other videos like yours and be sure to use the share function. Share your videos and other videos on the various social media options available. It is a great feature to use and we all need to start using it more.
    • Relationships: Focus on communicating with others in your niche and developing a relationship with them. If done properly (by not being a spammer), you can usually become a member of the several communities developed on YouTube. Community members help one and other out, shout them out, mention them on videos and support one and other. It isn't like sub for sub that is a one time deal, it is more of a pocket of friends wanting to be around one and other.
    • LIVE: Take advantage of live video whether you are conducting the live video, joining a call of another channel's live stream or simply just using the chat feature. This is a great way to get yourself out there and allow others to learn more about you while also developing some awesome one on one relationships in real time.
    Being social away from YouTube is another great way to grow your channel...
    • Social Media: Get on every social media network you can handle! I'm talking Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Pinterest, Snap Chat and so on. If the features fancy your attention, use them and get involved. Find your niche community on the social network and start developing your brand and reputation. Telling your good friends about a new video you uploaded is going to be a lot easier and acceptable than telling a bunch of strangers who don't even know your trust you yet. Create fan pages for your channel on social media and be sure to promote others in your niche as well, that is going to get you known within the niche really quickly.
    • Talk: Tell others about your channel. Tell your friends. Tell you family. Tell your co-workers or fellow students. Talk about YouTube and your channel to everyone you know and meet. Make it a point to talk about your YouTube every day. As a hiker, I carry around business card for my channel while out on my hikes. I give them out to other hikers I meet, after developing a basic friendly relationship with them first and then they can check out my channel later one.
    • Websites: Get on other websites and talk about your channel without spamming. Like, make a blog for your channel and update it frequently with relevant articles that essentially link to your videos. Like for me, I can blog about how my hike was and then end the blog post inviting folks to see my hike in action on my video I made for it. Join message forums and social groups as well, first becoming an active member and friend to all and then focusing on non-intrusive ways to promote your channel and your videos
    Get the right tools for the right job!
    Start by getting TubeBuddy. I'm sure some of you don't have it. I was an active member of this forum for several months before I acquired a TubeBuddy license. But once I got it, I was quite happy about my purchase. The thumbnail generator alone is awesome and really gives me a lot of extra time verses getting on photoshop and trying to be super creative. Thumbnails aren't the only great thing about TubeBuddy, either.

Get the best gear that can get... I'm talking the camera, mic and editing software - three main things! Your video needs to be of good quality-HD or higher if possible. Your mic matters too as people need to understand you well. You can start out with a good smartphone and probably stick with that for a long time but if you invest in a nice camera and external microphone, it is going to make your videos a lot better. Editing software is also a big topic! I used Windows Movie Maker at first because it is easy to use and free; it also degrades the quality of my great camera's footage and doesn't even support 4K but why would it? It reached its 'end of life' according to Windows. I bit the bullet and got Vegas and have been happy ever since, you don't have to pay to get good software, I just chose to do that.

Be consistent have a proper schedule!
    Choose a style for your channel and stick with it. I upload every other day to every couple of days giving my audience at least 3-5 videos a week. This is a good number to start out with based on my stats but for very new channels, focus on smaller post schedules until you grow enough and figure out what time allowance you have to be able to put more effort into it. You should also be planning out your videos before you make them - it makes it so much easier in the end.

Well those are my tips for now. I didn't want to give you some magic number of subscribers that you will get if you follow these steps because that sort of statement doesn't really lead to accuracy. Don't focus on a number; instead, focus on smooth growth that is acceptable and easy to do for your current lifestyle, time and energy. Let's end this article by you replying adding to it... What others methods are you using to effectively grow your YouTube channel?

2. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Some really nice points, but I would choose sound quality over video quality. (I came around a channel which has some really nice grow and the girl does upload most stuff in 360p :scream: in 2017!)

Also I think the plain truth is that a hugh part of channels do never even break even cost wise so it's better to see it as a fun hobby.

And a very important point is that you should be aware what stuff you want to share and show (for example showing your passwords in a tech channel is propably a very bad idea but can happen quite easy) but it's more about personal informations.

Shawn Gossman and Damon like this.
  3. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Shawn Gossman likes this.
  4. Shawn Gossman

I originally had a much longer article but that pesky 10,000 character max limitation got me. Easy to change to 0 in the admin panel :p ;) hint hint

kunicross likes this.
  5. Jayz3n

Jayz3n Newbie Member

I love the tips! I have a question though. I just started my youtube channel a week ago and so far I've posted 2 videos. While playing an online game, I asked one of my online friends to check out my channel and help me spread it. He did and was my first subscriber, but since then, that's it. Apart from the great help that Tubebuddy is giving me and my videos getting a little more views, nothing else has happened. Any suggestions on what to do next?

6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

You just started, so you need to get a content flow out there, most people won't sub to a channel with few or little videos because they don't see the commitment from the creator. Also TAG YOUR VIDEOS AS YOU SEARCH. Search is a POWERFUL way to get more views.

To the OP Sticking this thread for some great discussion possibilities!

Shawn Gossman likes this.
  7. Jayz3n

Jayz3n Newbie Member

Thanks but what is OP? And how do you stick a thread?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

OP = Original Poster
    Only admins like Andrew can stick a thread.

Andrew likes this.
  9. Jayz3n

Jayz3n Newbie Member

Thanks very much!

10. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Correct :D

11. WartonnoSound

WartonnoSound New User

Thanks for sharing your tips. And the tip about: Be consistent have a proper schedule! is so hard to do for me.

I think I have to punish myself to do that.

Laura Kelland May and RGS Rblood like this.
  12. RGS Rblood

RGS Rblood Member TubeBuddy User

Dont punish yourself for it.
    Honestly, In 2017. Looking for a channel to be active poster to their channel. is important but will not hurt you.
    I personally, can not have a schedule as a lot is going on. A Constant upload schedule is nice and while youtube will promote you more. They arent just going to not promote your video. That would hurt them.
    Just try to put the Quality of your video first. Try to be entertaining and You'll find an audience. Youtube is the 2nd largest search engine for anything. So there will always be huge chunks of people that will be interested in you if you just do you.
    So dont worry about a schedule and just make your content like usual.

13. Absurdia Films

Absurdia Films Newbie Member

Nice Tips! Honestly they helped us a lot ! We are 1 and a half month now on Youtube and it is amazing! Our subs also said that a section of our is not so catchy so we have changed it! That's a huge support even if the comments were not supportive ! They helped us to change and become better and better!

14. Arvind 100

Arvind 100 Newbie Member

Hey bot we cant share in Instagram, i guess

15. David (papacrimson)

David (papacrimson) New User

Hey guys just off this point - do you like your own videos and if so why? Not something I have thought of doing as I felt like it was a bit cheesy to like your own vids... kind of like, liking your own facebook post?

16. Shawn Gossman

I like my YouTube videos. On Facebook, it shows who likes the videos so it is a bit more stranger.

17. THE TECHIE TECH

THE TECHIE TECH Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

Hello guys! Bit awkward coz am new here, all members are genius here, except me...
    Asking a dumb question....
    I started channel about two months ago, currently total watch time is about 3k hrs, 45k views and 380 subscribers. Is the progress slow, average or good? Actually need answer badly...

18. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Only 2 months? I started in 2015 August and I am only slightly higher than you in those statistics. I'd say your progress is pretty dang good!

THE TECHIE TECH likes this.
  19. THE TECHIE TECH

THE TECHIE TECH Newbie Member TubeBuddy User

Thanks for answering, means I'm in the good way!!!!

DragoNate likes this.
  20. avrona

avrona Member

What can I do if I do all those things already yet I only have 224 subscribers after 4 and a half years?