Community Does Editing Make You Smile?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DragoNate, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I'm gonna start this with a question.

When you edit your videos, do you ever end up smiling without realizing? What about laughing?

I've noticed recently that when I edit my daily vlogs, my mouth will start to hurt a bit and it's because I'm smiling without even realizing it. When I do realize it, I smile even more. And it's the stupidest smile too! I don't know if it's a smile because of awkwardness or feeling weird or if it's because it simply makes me happy. I do feel happy making these videos, so that has to be at least part of it.

I'm putting this post in Content Strategies because I think it's important to remember that making videos should be something that makes you happy. If you're frowning while editing, or it feels like it's a job, or worse, a chore, then maybe you need to step back a bit and ask yourself why you make videos.

I think in some ways it's a bit strange or weird for me to be smiling the way I do, but I guess it just goes to show I really enjoy doing it! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Rafij Rahman Rohan likes this.
  2. Rafij Rahman Rohan

Rafij Rahman Rohan Member

Yeap most of the time the same thing happens to me.But honestly, I really enjoy editing my videos however sometimes it's also become annoying to edit a long video :D.But after finishing the editing & uploading the video when I see people have actually liked it.It feels awesome.You know something that shows you all of your hard work, means something to the viewers :).

DragoNate likes this.
  3. DragoNate

It really does! It's good to enjoy editing, and even if it's hard to edit a long one, it is for me as well, it's very much worth it if it makes you feel good and your viewers feel good :)

Rafij Rahman Rohan likes this.
  4. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

I love editing myself :) I can usually do 1-3 videos a day if I am in the right mood. Heck, I like writing policies on my forums like privacy statements, terms of use, etc. I'm a technical activity nerd I suppose. :p

kunicross and DragoNate like this.
  5. DragoNate

Haha, well good on you! I wouldn't be able to do 3 videos a day. It would just be too much for me. I get very antsy and anxious when doing repetitive things that don't require much activity, including typing. When I edit, I'm literally hitting the same buttons over and over for a few hours and listening. I get tired quickly.

kunicross and Shawn Gossman like this.
  6. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

Yeah I do that as well. Hear the same thing over and over again. :p I like to keep videos scheduled though so I try to edit as many as I can. In August, I'm going to try to start doing daily uploads (with scheduling of course, thankful for that feature!!!) so my editing will increase :p

DragoNate likes this.
  7. Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack Member

No. I don;t like editing.:confused:
    It's never good enough and takes far to long.

Side Note - Hey @Shawn Gossman, Noticed you cracked 10,000 views. Sweeeeeeeet :party:

kunicross, Life Effects and DragoNate like this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Editing for me is where the video comes a live. The filming is the puzzle pieces, and the edit the final combination of all things. I love editing, now I don't smile because I'm the subject, but I enjoy the process :D

9. DragoNate

Ah, then I think you need to experiment more and find something fun you like to do with the editing maybe :)
    It is kinda like a puzzle. I like that idea.
    Smiling at yourself is still okay :)

Guitar Hack likes this.
  10. Life Effects

Life Effects Active Member TubeBuddy Star

I enjoy editing very much. A short effect or bringing a tutorial to a place where it's easy for a viewer to follow along.
    What I don't enjoy is the long time I need for voice over work.

But I don't smile when I am concentrated on a project - as far as I can tell I look like a zombie that trys to do math. xD

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Guitar Hack and DragoNate like this.
  11. DragoNate

Voice over work does take quite a bit of work. I did some for one project I did. It was basically me recording myself recording, then recording myself editing and then recording myself editing the edited bits PLUS recording multiple separate voice snippets. That one was hectic... but I really enjoyed the result!

12. Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack Member

:joy:

13. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy User

Editing is a fun process for me, although it makes me cry (not literally) because of the mistakes I realize I've made in the video. Mainly my surrounding. Hurts me every time. Other than that, time goes back really fast when I edit and seeing a part that made me laugh in the video certainly makes me laugh while editing lol

Andrew and DragoNate like this.
  14. DragoNate

I look at some of my mistakes and either go "Oh God, no. That's not going in there." or "Oh wooooow..... Too funny, I'm keeping it!"
    A lot of times this is due to a weird noise I made because I was surprised or something, or it's a speech blunder. But yeah, there's lots of times for me too that I laugh at certain things a second time!

15. Jay

Jay Active Member TubeBuddy User

This is great to read everyone's responses whenever it comes to editing. On my channel, there isn't much editing at all. In one go, I can record my voice and feel mostly confident that there are not any pauses or prolonged silences. But, editing is directly associated with how the channel creator's style is.

Since I'm a Let's Player, I don't tend to edit as much as another might would have too. However, they do say "Quality" or "Quantity" and I definitely lean more towards the quantity :O!

DragoNate likes this.
  16. DragoNate

Quanitity sir?! How DARE you! Lol

For sure, everyone has their own style of editing, which is kinda cool to see actually, the differences between. For example, gaming channels I watch, like Markiplier and Draegast, do a lot of cuts, but very seldom do they use fades. Draegast just did on his second last video, Deeeep.io, and Mark does sometimes, but it seems rare. Myself on the other hand, I use fades most of the time. Even if it's less than 5 frames, I still like the look of a fade better than a cut.
    I'll intermix them quite a bit too sometimes, using a cut either when a fade just doesn't work (not enough room without hearing unwanted audio) or for comedic purposes. I find that, at least when I watch through my videos after editing (to make sure it looks good...and to laugh :p ) I find that fades seem to make the video flow better and go faster. Which is strange because you'd think a cut would be faster...

Jay likes this.
  17. Chase Charaba

Chase Charaba Member

I'm liking editing more as I become better at it. I've always liked capturing the footage and filming, but the editing part always seemed like a chore. I'm starting to enjoy it. I have to do a lot of editing because I vlog. I record a ton of footage from multiple devices and have to figure out what I want to use since I condense like 1-2 hours of b-roll and vlogging into 10 minutes or less (for hiking videos).

Just this week I was saying to some of my YouTube community members that my Pyramid Creek hiking video was actually relaxing to edit. Like, it just calmed me for some reason.

It's different with photo editing because that has always given me joy and I talk to myself when I edit my photos. haha.

DragoNate likes this.
  18. DragoNate

There's a saying that talking to yourself is fine and dandy, but just watch out once you start answering yourself :p
    It's great that you're starting to enjoy editing more!

Chase Charaba and Guitar Hack like this.
  19. Damon

Damon Member Member of the Month

Well, everything in life has happy moments and grudging moments. There are times when magical moments happen during editing: things that you didn't plan, but came off well. Those times make me laugh, but that's not all the time, nor is that my primary motivating factor. To me editing is sort of like setting a budget or washing dishes. It's something I need to do, but not necessarily something I enjoy. What I enjoy is after the fact, when the video is done.

Not everything in life can be about chasing happiness. The problem with happiness is it is based on happenstance. It might happen, it might not. What I really enjoy is solitude on the river, designing and testing a new lures or fishing gear, or looking for more products to import. Video editing is the major part of the process that allows me to communicate all I'm doing with the outside world. Sometimes I'm happy doing that, sometimes I'm not.

20. DragoNate

That's understandable. I didn't necessarily mean that you need to be happy about every single thing you do. Just that if you're constantly doing something that makes you feel awful, then you probably shouldn't be doing, or find a way to feel good doing it.
    The finished product of course has to look good and be something you're proud of.
    You don't have to chase happiness, but you do have to find fulfillment in what you do.