Community Does anyone care that YouTube Messages are going away?

Discussion in 'YouTube Discussion' started by Buddy Shearer, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Buddy Shearer

Buddy Shearer Newbie Member Member of the Month

By the time I found that little bitty icon for sending a message to the channel owner I thought that it was pitiful.

Why not have something like FB for sending messages? That model works. YT wants us to keep our visitors/subscribers engaged but the tools are not there or hidden.

Another example is the Discussion area. I have yet to see this used to any potential. I have tried on my channel. Yas, I have seen some big tubers use it but regular joes like us seem to pass right over it.

I guess I am preaching to the choir.

Buddy

2. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I entered a contest on a channel... 2 years later I saw the "message" tab - never knew we had one. I had a message. I had won the contest 2 years ago ha ha. I never knew YT had messages. I think YouTube's biggest weakness is communication/social interaction. It started out as a video platform and really never grew into anything else. YT wants to be social scene but has a long way to go to get there. I have not heard we were losing messages, but will not miss them at all.

Honestly YT & FB should merge. YT has the video market, and FB has the chat. I don't see that happening any time soon...

Buddy Shearer likes this.
  3. Pearl

Pearl New User

Noticed on Youtube just now that we now have a little pop up chat window. Anyone else see this?

4. Buddy Shearer

@Pearl
    Where is it? I know there is something if you share a video but that is at the video level. I think it would be better at the Channel level.

Buddy

5. Pearl

Pearl New User

I cant find it again lol
    It was exactly the same as FaceBook popup in the bottom right hand corner. It was a sample message from the Youtube Channel it showed an example conversation, it had a picture, i think a link, and the option to add more people to the conversation, delete the conversation and some other crap.
    BUT i cannot find a single thing about it on Youtube or even googling it! Hope im not going crazy lol
    If i find anything, ill grab a picture of it for yas.

EDIT: also, i remenber how i found it, it was at the top as a speech bubble icon.
    https://i.imgur.com/83HucO9.jpg
    was inbetween the Bell and the Channel icon.
    Did anyone else have this?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Apparently it's a thing they implemented 10 months ago lol
    upload_2018-6-9_22-35-14.png
    They give you an invite link that'll add people to chat, which is a bit inconvenient.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Buddy Shearer likes this.
  7. Pearl

Pearl New User

lol 10 months ago... crazy. Thats exactly it though, and i got the message/popup/icon only days ago for the first time.

8. Buddy Shearer

Yeah that's what I saw as well. Why would i want to build a community on one video and then re-invent the wheel with another video?

I want to build a community within my SUBSCRIBERS and then that would encourage others to join in by (a.k.a.) SUBSCRIBING)!

Buddy

9. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

The only real use the message system ever had was exchanging addresses to send post cards - I think the main flaw was that you couldn't get notifications for messages so you'd miss them mostly and only reply months later and the other side would miss your reply as well...

I've used it but less than once a year and I won't miss it.

10. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I never really used the messenger feature, so it's not something I'm going to miss.

11. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Agreed! I get it though! Thing is if I could add anyone, what stops me from adding every big youtuber. I get it. However, classic YouTube! HERE IS A FEATURE.... never utilizes.... haha

12. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

Yeah, I get that, but Youtube could also counter that by having a feature where they can set it to private and nobody can find them or add them. BUT NAH! LET'S NOT DO THAT! BY THE WAY GUYS WE GOT A MESSAGE FEATURE THAT WE NEVER TOLD ANYBODY ABOUT IT.
    --- Post updated ---
    That's real annoying. I remember checking my message to see one from 3 months ago :joy:
    The only other time I utilize it was to send a message to a publisher's channel so they know it was me.

Andrew likes this.
  13. Pearl

Pearl New User

Annnnnd its back again. no idea why or how.

Attached Files:

14. Kabalyero

Kabalyero Newbie Member

this is the first time I'm learning about this... and I'm in YouTube everyday watching videos... o_O

Andrew likes this.
  15. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Kind of shows the point of they don't tell us of new updates that well haha!

16. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Newbie Member TubeBuddy Star

no...

never used them. never had a message sent to me.

seems pointless, I thought that was what the comments were for. There is also the public email addy that is for contact too. why would you need a third messaging system on a platform?