Seeking Advice Difficult for New YouTubers to Gain an Audience?

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Snowyamur, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:51 AM.

1. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

So, I've had my YouTube channel for about two months now, starting back in July, and when I look at other, new YouTube channels that started in late August to early September, those channels are substantially larger than mine.

I'm not sure if it's because my channel is dedicated to gameplay videos, if I'm doing something wrong, if I'm not doing something right, or if I'm too headlong into a competitive environment without anything to support me. I believe that in time my channel can grow, but will it grow if I consistently upload high-quality videos that no one watches? I'm a little bit on the urge of giving up here because if progress isn't being made on something, I feel that it isn't worth my time.

Besides, as I have told another fellow YouTuber here, focusing on subscriber count should not be the main focus; it should be your consistency and activity on your own channel, and I still abide by that principal. However, could it be that today, it's just too difficult for channels like mine to gain a public audience?

Do I need to advertise more? Would I need to network, and how would I do that? Should I switch to another subject of interest on my channel? Should I just give up?

Let me know what you guys think because I'm stumped.

Timelord Miff likes this.
  2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne New User

What are you doing that the other zillions doing the same thing are not doing?
    You need to be unique.

Damon likes this.
  3. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

I mean, it isn't just uniqueness. I also think that people who are consistently active with their channel also do well. You can be the most unique channel in the world for what you do and not grow because you're too lazy to make any effort to improve or grow the content of your channel.

Damon likes this.
  4. devjani biswas

devjani biswas Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

Absolutely.
    I completely agree with you. Concentrate on contents and maintaining consistency is something we can control. Gaining subscriber will come by as keep doing good work.

Damon likes this.
  5. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

Yeah, well, I just hope something on my channel improves in due time or else there wouldn't be a reason for me to continue.

Damon likes this.
  6. Damon

Damon Active Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

Crank out content for two or three years, then ask this question. Yes, I know of one channel that started this summer and now have over 300k, :eek: , but that doesn't mean that I should be growing that fast. You can't compare yourself to other YouTube channels. Two months is not enough time.

The real test is are you willing to do this over the long haul without seeing much result? Just how important is your base content? Do you have enough life experience to offer something new and fresh? Can you do something other than video games like basket making, burp on demand, draw, build kites, skateboard, tree climb, lift weights, regurgitate on demand, build computers, paint, cut grass, wash dishes, cook, eat, ride bicycles, hiking, camping, mountain climbing, mountain biking, fishing, hunting, sports, engineering, building, carpentry, plumbing, dry walling, pipe fitting, writing, gardening, auto repair, tree trimming?

What real life skills have you developed that will make the world a less depressing for the human race? (A better place is what people would normally say, but that's so cliche.)

Do you have any interests other than videos games, things you've always wanted to learn? If the world were perfect, what would you do? (If video games is your answer, then you've missed the point.)

Sadly I don't see enough life experience in most people videos. No real life, school of hard knocks, dirt chewing, grit toothed life experience meant to help people take the :poop:, :skull:, :eyes: and :imp: out of life. If you can do that then you have something to :sun:, :party:, :idea:, :zzz:, :heart: about. When you have that, then you will gain subscribers over time. Maybe not even a big audience, but a dedicated audience nonetheless.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    Andrew and Paul like this.
  7. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

All I wish to see is improvement over time. If I have my channel for a year and have hundreds of videos, but nothing changes, than at that point I give up. Doesn't make sense why my channel would stay the way it is now after one year of commitment and no changes.

8. Damon

Top Poster Of Month

We've given you what you need. It's now up to you to do it or not.

9. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

As with any job, yes. Well, wish me luck then.

Timelord Miff and Paul like this.
  10. Damon

Top Poster Of Month

I wish you more than luck. I pray for hope, courage, faith and love in your endeavor.

Timelord Miff and Paul like this.
  11. Snowyamur

Snowyamur Newbie Member

Thanks for that.

Damon likes this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I have a gaming channel, and what I learned is most people search for games they love, and a lot of people provide content for it. It's a combination of finding games you want to play, and then make them searchable, and able to stand out. IT took me 2 years before I got any form of success on my channel, but what I focused on, was having fun, and involving my audience every step of the way. If I got one comment, I featured it, showing I listen and include them. I also ask A LOT of questions. That helped too.

Remember this, and ask yourself. "Why did I start this channel? What value do I want to leave my viewer with?" Then it's up to YOU to decide if you are doing that :)

Damon and Snowyamur like this.