Strategy Avoid Copyright Strikes & Infringements

Discussion in 'Content Strategies' started by Core Freedom, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Newbie Member

I'm hoping to help some of you to avoid getting copyright strikes and infringements. With over 30K subscribers I just had my first copyright strike (now removed) and a couple dozen (wrongful) copyright infringements.

Difference Between Copyright Strike and Copyright Infringement

Think of a copyright strike as a felony and a copyright infringement as a misdemeanor. Both are ugly to have on your account but three 'felonies' will get your account closed whereas the infringement will get your wrist slapped and your video from being monetized.

How To Get and Avoid Getting Copyright Strikes

If you're serious about building a YouTube channel, either as a marketing tool (my tactic) or as a source of income, you must-must-must make sure that 100% of your videos are your creations, including all components used within the video. This means music, pictures, video clips, voices that appear in the video, etc. etc.. Only when your video is 100% your creation and contains components that have been created by you, can your video avoid a true copyright strike.

You can read all about copyright issues here on YouTube.
    If you are the exclusive creator of your own products, videos, music pieces, etc., then you can apply for Content ID with YouTube here. This way your intellectual property is registered and protected by YouTube.

In my case, I was interviewed by someone in the UK who asked me about my near-death experience and the book I wrote about it. I was the 'star' of the show so to speak. He didn't use any music or components that anyone else could claim as theirs and we verbally agreed that we both could feature the interview on our own channels with links back to either other.

Two years later my channel has grown exponentially and his didn't. He filed a copyright strike against me, which must be done manually, and YouTube immediately makes the video non-viewable. He didn't even have the courtesy to contact me first. Youtube does not play neutral and will not first come and ask you whether or not his allegations were true. They take someone's word and immediately disable the video and slap your account with a strike. They'll send you a notice about it and you can file a claim against the allegations or wait until the strike gets removed from your account.

This part about copyright strikes is that the other person does not need to have a legitimate reason for filing the strike in the first place. If you do complain and respond to the claim then yes, your account will go back in good standing and if you were in the right, the video will be put back on your channel.

What a hassle and complete waste of time, right?

So the best way to never, ever get a copyright strike, and even then it may be unavoidable, is to not have any third-party videos on your channel at all. If you do get interviewed, make sure you make them sign rights over to you so that you can use your own interview wherever you please.

All this still won't keep some jealous person from wanting to hurt you. Sadly, that's just the world we live in today. But at least if you cross your "ts" and dot your "i's" you have a chance.

How To Avoid Getting Copyright Infringements

Getting copyright infringements are a total nuisance and a total waste of time. While they don't get your account closed all together, your video cannot be monetized. If you do monetize your videos on which there is a copyright infringement, any monetization will go to the person who filed the claim.

In my case I took several videos while driving. I purchased several intros and outros from Dawnmusic.com (stay away from them, they're music is notorious for getting copyright infringed later). I then added a 3-5 second intro and 3-5 second outro to my videos. Again, all of the video is my creation with no co-stars in the video, except these few seconds of music, which I purchased and legally held the license to do so.

Some of these videos have been watched hundreds of thousands of times and because the creator of these music pieces filed an infringement, THEY receive any monetization (which is why my monetization is turned off on all of the videos that do not feature 100% my own content).

Filing a counter-claim against a copyright infringement is easier than fighting a copyright strike. All you have to do is respond to the copyright infringement with information why you think you have the right to have their piece in your video. In my case, several infringements have been removed by this one attempt. And several have been rejected, which means that I then have to reply to the rejection by attaching proof. This opens a serious can of worms because now you have to submit your physical address, your phone number, receipts and purchase order numbers. In my case I purchased these music pieces in 2010.

There is always the option to just have the music removed from within the Youtube editor and not bother with the reply. You have to weigh what it costs you in time to go back and forth to have an infringement removed. And the final choice is yours.

Finding The Perfect Solution

When I became an online course creator a few years back, I decided not to purchase royalty free music licenses. The trouble was not worth it and the time it takes to fight these false allegations is not worth it either. So I hired my own composers.

Today I work with 1-2 composers that write and create music for me. The pieces are mine as I'm the person telling them what to create and they are not permitted to reuse or sell my pieces to anyone.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about how exactly a piece comes into existence, feel free to ask. I didn't want to make this too long and hope for now that as you are thinking of building your channel, you keep strikes and infringements in mind and create videos that will be timeless and ever-green and 100% yours so no one can ever come against you with any accusations, even if false.

Have a great day everyone!

PS: For those of you who purchase video clips, photographs, vector images, and music through Envato (videohive.net, audiojungle.net, etc.), here is a great article of theirs to show what to do when one of your YT videos gets a copyright infringement. It explains that this happens automatically because the "digital footprint" signals what's called the 'Content ID' and an automatic claim is placed on your YT video. Again, since you have a purchase receipt you can file a claim against the infringement, but it takes time and it's a nuisance.

PPS: To make sure no one steals your personal content, you can file a 'Content ID' with YouTube by reading this Envato article here, or by going directly to the YT Content ID link here to file your rights.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    QUE, ShuriBear, Duy Ngo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Haakon

Haakon Member TubeBuddy User

What I like to do, especially if it comes to using music on your YouTube video, is to check out YouTubes music policies. There you can search for an artist, and find out if the artist has copyright on his/her music! I have started using it every time I'm making a video.

DragoNate and Core Freedom like this.
  3. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Newbie Member

Haakon, this is a great tip. Thanks for sharing!:)

4. Haakon

Haakon Member TubeBuddy User

You're welcome! :)

5. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

I am really envious of channels that screen movie trailers and clips. I know you can purchase these but I'm only a small channel and don't have the funds. How do these channels manage to show say 2017 Horror movie trailers and avoid any copyright problems. If anyone knows where I can find trailers, clips etc that are in public domain or won't infringe me on You Tube I'd be eternally grateful

6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Most of them have teams that can fight the claim of fair use, in use for review. They are to a level in which they have people to fight for them. Besides that, there isn't really much :/

Michael J Elliott likes this.
  7. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

It certainly makes it harder for "the little" guy." I'm finding it harder and harder to find free for reuse pics in my videos (which the selection is VERY limited anyway!) I find it does make it harder to be more creative.

Andrew likes this.
  8. Life Effects

Life Effects Active Member TubeBuddy Star

Small tip for this one - check out Adobe Sparks. It allows to click together copyright free social media posts.
    The interesting part of it - you can change the given background and search for googles copyright free media stock.
    You might find something useful there.

Aesir, Andrew and Michael J Elliott like this.
  9. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

Thank you so much for this advice! It is certainly very helpful. I'll defo check out Adobe Sparks. Just to clarify, do you search for copyright free media stock WITHIN Adobe Sparks ( that is, when the program is open?)

10. Life Effects

Life Effects Active Member TubeBuddy Star

Correct.
    You have to register and then create new posts that you can share.

Then you can replace the background and search for a specific topic - like in my example New Year.
    You can freely use that picture but as far as I know there is a watermark "#spark" in the corner. But that's fair I guess.

Attached Files:

Andrew and Michael J Elliott like this.
  11. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

There is also Pixabay which has photos, vector graphics, illustrations and even videos with a CC0 license, meaning "free for commercial use no attribution required"

Andrew and Michael J Elliott like this.
  12. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

Thanks DragoNate
    I will check out Pixabay. I can also reccomend the Internet Archive which has literally thousands of images, audio and clips from Movies, TV and popular culture which are mainly labelled CC

DragoNate likes this.
  13. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I might need to take a look at Internet Archive! Pixabay only has so much and you can never go wrong with having multiple sources for things.

Aesir likes this.
  14. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

It's well worth the effort DragoNate, as small channels we need as many sources as possible. I found many great old pics from horror movies etc to use as thumbnails, a heap of copyright free cc music for background etc. WikiCommons is also great because most of the images are in the public domain or have been donated by users.

Guitar Hack and DragoNate like this.
  15. Aesir

Aesir Newbie Member

I bought some music and have all licences what is needed but I had to send to disputes@theorchard.com to remove the false copyright claim. Neither I, nor the music creator itself has any to do with the network but they tried to claimed a copyright. I think some uploaders doesn't do anything against it. There must be more possibilities for youtubers if they are not in any network.

Networks try to claim videos without any rights. An YT bot check the database if your music is claimed by any network but YT doesn't check is this is right or not. When you try to claim the copyright over YT itself you need to wait until the other side replies and what will be happen if they don't reply within 30 days? What is the decision? The case is closed and the claimed removed?

Of course you can upload some files to youtube but why not checking the requested files on the network site too?
    --- Post updated ---
    The funny part is friends of me tried exactly this way. The guy who copied the video had still the original logo inside the video and YT don't gave the right to the real owner and removed the video one both sides and both get a strike for 6 month. The guy who stole the video claimed the video too :) but YT couldn't find out who is the right owner (with logo in the video :) )

Michael J Elliott likes this.
  16. Origami VTL

Origami VTL New User

This is really helpful, Thank for sharing. Stay Owning Everything On Your Video Is The Best

17. ScottishRyan

ScottishRyan Newbie Member

I used the AudioHero Royalty Free Music as part of the perks with my TB subscription here. I got a copyright notice from another company, however I immediately disputed it and within 24 hours they withdrew it.

I let AudioHero staff know and they were excellent in support.

I have to say, I've had false claims against some of my audio in the past and one UK company are notoriously bad for it. They always wait the 30 days and let it expire without so much as acknowledgement. I think false Content ID claims should be punished on Youtube. Some are wrongly trying to make money out of creators content. How many people leave the claim on their videos and allow these companies to pull in little amounts from hundreds of videos daily! :eek:

Music on my videos I feel are really important, as It pulls the viewer in and compliments what I'm trying to do so it's hard to find good sources without having to pay money initially. If I was making decent funds from Youtube, I would certainly get a composer to do it for me, absolutely to be on the safe side.

In the mean time, access to AudioHero through a subscription to TubeBuddy is excellent, some really good audio on there across a wide range of categories!

18. Sweetie

Sweetie Newbie Member

Thank you! I am super careful about this! I teach a high school journalism class. It is all about you should practice what your preach!

19. Angela Brown

Angela Brown New User

Wow. I didn't know about this, but do own all my own content and it's copyrighted. So I filled out the recommended Content ID form you recommended. It is under approval now. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate you sharing. :)

20. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Active Member TubeBuddy Legend

I only use music from the YT library, Audio Blocks and I think a few others that were included with Tube Buddy. I make sure the music isn't copyright for sure. I've had a few hits (nothing bad though) with Audio Blocks but they quickly take care of it for me. I like the idea of getting a composer. Where would one start with that?

kunicross likes this.