Planned Automatic Translation of Title & Description into Multiple Languages

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Romeo Crow, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Android Gameplays

Android Gameplays Newbie Member

Awesome to hear, thank you! Looking forward to the bulk version in the future but more than happy with this version for now. Thanks again!
    --- Post updated ---
    Just to double check, was it titles/tags or title/description? Thanks

2. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

That's awesome news Phil. I will be interested to read how everyone's stats changed after using it.

3. Android Gameplays

Hope this is still on the table. Thanks again Phil and the rest of the TubeBuddy crew

Andrew likes this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I'll bring this up, but it still :)

Android Gameplays likes this.
  5. Android Gameplays

Thanks Andrew, you are always on top of things :party:

Andrew likes this.
  6. Kate's Adventures

Kate's Adventures Newbie Member

I'm curious about the Analytics of the creators who've tried bulk translating into languages that they don't understand themselves. Is the Watch Time from your translated views good? I've thought about doing this in the past, but I've had feedback from a couple of people who help me with translations that the auto translate feature doesn't really help them to translate my captions, because the system takes a literal translation of every word as opposed to figuring out the wider meaning.

Similarly, if I were to come across a video that listed English subtitles and I found the translation to be one that had obviously not been checked over properly by somebody who is fluent, I would find that very off putting, especially as the auto translate option is there for my use anyway. I assume the people who have tried this have also added subtitles for these languages to the video? I can imagine it would also be annoying if the title and description was translated but not the video itself.

I hope this message doesn't come across as too hostile, this is something I'm genuinely curious about and would love to hear other creators' experiences and perspectives. I like my videos to be updated with captions and translations, but with my current understanding of how this proposed tool would work, it's something I would be hesitant to use.

Andrew and Android Gameplays like this.
  7. Android Gameplays

I listed some examples from previous months earlier in the thread but here are my last 28 days. I only translate titles and description

Original language
    Watch Time (Minutes) 2,671,372 (54%)
    Views: 944,838 (47%)

Translated

Watch Time (Minutes) 2,258,159 (46%)
    Views: 1,054,893 (53%)

--- Post updated ---
    Most viewers don't read the description box, at least not the whole thing. It is more of a SEO tactic targeting key words/phrases in other languages than anything else

Kate's Adventures and Andrew like this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

For me I have a few videos where people wanted me to translate it for their language, and I too would be curious.

Kate's Adventures likes this.
  9. Kate's Adventures

Thanks, I was mostly wondering in terms of Audience Retention, although I suppose that can be up and down for a lot of reasons so it's always going to be difficult to pin an exact reason for a viewer deciding to watch / not watch. It's an interesting suggestion for sure, it might not be for me but I'll be checking it out once it's live to see how it goes.

Android Gameplays and Andrew like this.
  10. Kate's Adventures

One thing I did try for a video was auto translating the transcript and asking a native speaker to quickly read over it and tell me how much sense it made. I've offered in the past to swap this service in return for adding English captions onto one of their videos of a similar length, although as of right now I've only tried that with languages that I think will be popular on particular videos.

Andrew likes this.
  11. Android Gameplays

Sometimes my audience retention is higher with translated languages, other times it is less. Either way though, I value total watch time as a metric over audience retention and without the translations, my videos would be seen a lot less.

12. mytubepm

mytubepm Newbie Member

Can you make the translation available for Star level subscription? I have this function with a certain other competitor, but would prefer to use TB.

13. Android Gameplays

Nods, I feel you. I have been trying to push for a bulk translation tool since last year and that ended up costing me $$$. The competitor that I was using had this as a free service but started charging for it once TubeBuddy implemented their version. We are still at square one with a single translation tool but now paying for it whereas before it was free elsewhere. Hoping to see a bulk translation tool from TubeBuddy some point soon

Andrew likes this.