Planned Automatic Translation of Title & Description into Multiple Languages

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Romeo Crow, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Romeo Crow

Romeo Crow Newbie Member

Hey,

Just signed up for paid TubeBuddy as I think it is a great tool and I'm looking to really push YT in 2017.

I had a suggestion!

Currently, I translate my video descriptions into 44 languages.

My viewership is small, but 25% of my watch-time comes from these translations (YT recently released a new analytics feature to drill down on translations effectiveness), so I know they are valuable!

I use Google Translate to do the translating. I know it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I put together a spreadsheet to do the heavy lifting of the actual translation.

The problem is, I then need to manually add a new language, copy/paste the translation from my spreadsheet into YT and then repeat...another 43 times.

What would be GREAT would be a single click button in TubeBuddy that would automatically add all languages (or those you picked) to the translations, and then add a translation for the Title and Description, using Google Translate.

It wouldn't be totally accurate, but it would be a POWERFUL feature - and one that would save an immense amount of time.

I know you currently have Tag translation, so this would be an extension on that concept.

Would LOVE to see this!

Cheers :)

DragoNate likes this.
  2. DragoNate

DragoNate Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

That would actually be very awesome, I completely agree. I personally don't do any translations often because it's so very time consuming and not-user-friendly to do it. Also to pay for it, I can't afford... I'd love this feature as well!

3. Android Gameplays

Android Gameplays Newbie Member

This request is exactly why I signed up here but I noticed that the suggestion was already made when I went to post it so I will add my experiences here instead of making a new request. Over ⅓ of my views over the last 7 days have been from translations and that is only from adding 35-45 translations per video which isn't anywhere near all of them. If it wasn't such a time consuming and tedious process I would do even more but while it is easy to copy and paste, it is mind numbingly boring and not fun on the fingers.

I believe that if a mass translate feature for every language was implemented it would be the single most important feature that TubeBuddy could offer. It would be fantastic if we could add our Title in one box and the Description in another and then press a single button which would translate them into all of the languages available (Klingon is an option too, haha).

The following are my stats over the last 7 days. My translated viewer duration was even longer than my native language by over 1¼ minutes.

Original language
    Watch Time (Minutes) 953,306 (64%)
    Views: 295,239 (71%)
    Average View Duration: 3:13

Translated
    Watch Time (Minutes) 540,532 (36%)
    Views: 120,094 (29%)
    Average View Duration: 4:30
    [​IMG]

I believe adding a mass translate feature would not only make existing TubeBuddy users happy but bring in new users as well.

Thank you for your time!

-Jesse
    --- Post updated ---
    You don't have to use Google Translate since you can do it all within YouTube but it is still time consuming even when taking out the extra step. Video Manager -> Click Edit on Video of your choice -> Translations Tab -> Copy and Paste

4. DragoNate

Would you mind explaining in detail how you go about translating your videos into 35-45 languages? I mean like, exactly what you do. Because the way I'd be doing (which is why I don't...) would take me literally 1 hour minimum to do a single language...
    Personally, if there was a way I could do 1 language in 5 minutes and spend 25 minutes to translate into 5 languages, I'd be happy.

5. Android Gameplays

Translations can be done without leaving YouTube which is why I was hoping TubeBuddy could assist.

I just tested and did my top 25 languages in five minutes.
    1. Video Manager
    2. Click Edit on Video of your choice
    3. Translations Tab (Between Basic Info & Monetization)
    4. Copy Title (Control C)
    5. Click Drop down box Translate Into - Add new Language (Select Language of choice)
    6. Paste (Control V) Title into top box (Don't Copy Description yet)
    7. Click Translate into and pick a new language
    8. Keep pasting title into into the top section for each new language
    9. Once you are done, go back and control c your description and go down your list of languages and control v the description to each

I like to do all of the titles first and then the descriptions because it is a lot easier on the fingers.

I make around 2-3 videos a day and only use a limited amount of languages so if TubeBuddy were to implement a feature to translate titles and descriptions into each available language I imagine my views would skyrocket like they originally did when I started translating into just the top languages (for my channel) and also save a ton of time in the process.

Andrew likes this.
  6. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I will pass this on to @Phil It's an interesting idea!

Android Gameplays likes this.
  7. DragoNate

Oh alright, that's awesome! Thanks!
    Honestly, I thought part of what you meant by translating was the closed captions/subtitles as well. That's what I'd like :p
    Perfect! Thanks Andrew!

8. Phil

Phil Administrator Administrator

We do love this idea and seems like a perfect candidate for TubeBuddy. We're already doing it for Tags so for Titles/Descriptions, it doesn't seem *too difficult. I'll try to make sure it's in place by Jan 1st-ish :)

9. Android Gameplays

That would be an excellent way to bring in the new year, thank you TubeBuddy and company!

10. DragoNate

That would be a great Christmas gift and great New Year gift! Or maybe resolution? I guess I can "resolve" to use it do it often...

11. Tomba

Tomba Newbie Member TubeBuddy Pro

Hey!

That's a really nice suggestion, I would really like to see this!

Regards

DragoNate likes this.
  12. Android Gameplays

Updated December Analytics for Original Language and Translated Views to show the potential value of Translations

Original language
    Watch time (minutes): 899,882 (53%)
    Views: 301,676
    Average view duration: 2:58

Translated
    Watch time (minutes): 802,096 (47%)
    Views: 177,530
    Average view duration: 4:31

DragoNate likes this.
  13. Phil

I just saw that recently as well but had no idea such a big chunk would be Translated. Guess we need to bump this up the priority list :)

Andrew, Roonah and Android Gameplays like this.
  14. Roonah

Roonah Newbie Member

Hi @Phil
    I started using TubeBuddy and successfully bulk added cards to my videos.
    Recently, I was searching for a solution to translating my and my friend's videos automatically/in bulk via google translate,
    and I've found this thread.
    A lot of us are planning a paid version of TubeBuddy just because of this.
    May I ask you if you could tell me when this feature will be available?
    And I wanted to make a suggestion: would it be possible to translate only the description of the video;
    because a lot of my video titles have several mixed language words so I don't want to translate video titles - I just want them to stay the same for all languages and to translate video description to other languages (I think it would be easy - just copying titles/leaving the same and only translating the description).
    Thank you in advance,
    have a good day!

15. Android Gameplays

My translated watch time has surpassed my original language (English) watch time for the first 19 days of January.

Once this feature is implemented, I implore all TubeBuddy users to take advantage of it. Without the translations, my videos would have only been searched for and found roughly half as much as they are now.

Original language
    Watch time (minutes): 617,206 (46%)
    Views: 205,881 (56%)
    Average view duration: 2:59

Translated
    Watch time (minutes): 722,103 (54%)
    Views: 164,706 (44%)
    Average view duration: 4:23
    --- Post updated ---
    As of right now, I manually do around 20-25 translations per video but when this feature is implemented, if all ~190 languages are able to be done in bulk, the sky is the limit!
    --- Post updated ---
    Statistics for the month of January. I am making an update post because January of 2017 was the first month that my translated views resulted in more total watch time than my original language of English. While my original language had more views, the watch time for my translated views was significantly higher which resulted in a longer total watch time.

There are almost 200 languages last I looked and I am only translating to 20-25 of thm

Original language
    Watch time (minutes): 974,614 (46%)
    Views: 326,631 (55%)

Translated
    Watch time (minutes): 1,135,602 (54%)
    Views: 265,957 (45%)
    Average view duration: 4:16
    --- Post updated ---
    Statistics for the month of January. I am making an update post because January of 2017 was the first month that my translated views resulted in more total watch time than my original language of English. While my original language had more views, the watch time for my translated views was significantly higher which resulted in a longer total watch time.

There are almost 200 languages last I looked and I am only translating to 20-25 of thm

Original language
    Watch time (minutes): 974,614 (46%)
    Views: 326,631 (55%)

Translated
    Watch time (minutes): 1,135,602 (54%)
    Views: 265,957 (45%)
    Average view duration: 4:16
    --- Post updated ---
    Looking forward to when this is updated, keep up the great work!
    --- Post updated ---
    I know you have your hands full @Phil so here is a reminder in case it was put on the back burner. Thanks again for all that you do!
    --- Post updated ---
    "Be discovered by viewers across the world. Starting February 28, your community can now also translate your video titles and description."

YouTube sees the numbers and how important translations are. With more YouTubers seeing that headline and realizing that title and description translations are an actual thing, this feature will be requested more than ever. More info below.

"From March 6, 2017, community contributions will include translations of video titles and descriptions, as well as transcriptions and translations for subtitles/CC. You can turn this feature on or off in your Community Contribution settings."

16. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Member

I was interested to discover that whilst the majority of my views come from here in Australia (probably all my family watching lol) and the other viewas are from Canada, USA and UK, 4.9% of my views come from Finland! This stat has remained consistent which I find pretty interesting. Like DragoNate, I wouldn't have the funds to transfer into multiple languages but I agree a Tiube Buddy tool that could handle the tedium would be awesome. I would definitely use it!

17. Android Gameplays

March 30 YouTube creator blog talking about the importance of translating Title/Description. "This means you’re only a few clicks away from having viewers translate your videos so more people around the world easily discover, understand, and ultimately fall in love with your content." youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2017/03/hello-world-how-to-translate-your.html

18. Phil

Good news! We added the basics of this and it should go live on Monday or Tuesday :) We added a button to auto-translate Titles/Tags to your selected language. Hope to add bulk-language updates in the future too.

19. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

Happy to hear this :D Looking forward to it!

20. Romeo Crow

Romeo Crow Newbie Member

It makes me super-happy that, not only was my suggestion taken seriously...but you guys have actually gone and done it!

DOUBLE HUZZAH!!

I think this "small" addition (though I'm sure it was a pain to code!) is a bit of a game-changer...this really opens the field for everyone :)

(actually, given that, probably best not to tell ANYONE about it...keep it to ourselves.. ;) Jokes! )

Cheers and well done!