Question Allowable content (cock fighting)

Discussion in 'YouTube Discussion' started by Tito Tim, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

I looked on YT but could not find an answer... I assume it is not allowed...
    My friend, here in the Philippines, owns the largest cock fighting ring in the city (a cock ring has a totally different meaning here ha ha). I have never been to a cock fight and don't particularly have any interest, but he invited me to his birthday party next week. It will be a small competition at the coliseum. I figured it would make an interesting video, if nothing else.

I plan on shooting the coliseum, the crowds, and the bird prep area. I assume the actual fight would not be allowed on YT. I try to stay advertiser friendly, but here cock fighting is a family event. I know in much of the world it is not.

Anyone know what the limits are on what can be shown? I do not plan on filming the actual fights in any case.

2. Ikerot

Ikerot Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I've seen cockfights on youtube; there's actually a lot of them on the site. If you don't want to show the actual fights, you don't have to because it can get bloody with their knives and all. And someone could decide to report it >.>

I don't know if youtube can actually allow it or not because it's legal in the Philippines + other Asian countries. Vietnam allows cockfighting as well. Unless we're abiding by western laws where it is illegal but I don't think that's the case.

3. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

Yeah, I just did a YT search... and there are a lot of fights online. I assumed it would a bad thing. I suspect it is not advertiser friendly so I will keep it to background shots. But apparently... it is ok...? Who knew.

4. kunicross

kunicross Active Member

Just because there is a lot of it here does not mean it will keep youtube from banning you.

Many channels have been banned recently for stuff which is very present on YouTube.

Also legally speaking its most important which audience you are targeting and in which language you operate - a video made only for a audience where it's totally legal is probably less problematic but I would check if animal cruelty isn't against the community guidelines. (I would expect it to be but haven't checked)

You could maybe do it kind of a documentation but I guess the real struggle is to keep balance between your local and US audience.

So a documentation on the cruelty of cockfights might keep the US and YT happy but would make local audiences unhappy?

Better just keep it out as a whole I would guess.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Dimi, Andrew and Damon like this.
  5. Pearl

Pearl New User

I would steer clear, its <CURRENT_YEAR> after all. Someones gonna get mad and bring a hate train on Twitter or some petition website and get your channel rolled.

Dimi and Damon like this.
  6. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member TubeBuddy Star

I tend to consider whether the subject I'm covering is worth the amount of headache it could potentially be to post it. Given that even a badly-translated bit of auto-captioning can result in a video being demonetized these days, I tend on the side of caution with anything like that.

Andrew and Damon like this.
  7. Tito Tim

Tito Tim Member

Lately I have been redoing all my captions... what a pain the butt that is! ha ha

8. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

I would say it's a risk, and then decide if it's worth losing your channel over. I would say no, but it also has different cultural reasons, etc. I guess you would have to decide, is this worth the fight?

Dimi likes this.
  9. Ceorge_Christofi

Ceorge_Christofi Newbie Member TubeBuddy Star

I don't know. same as its legal over here for 18 year olds to get drunk, would it sit well with the family friendly place YouTube wants to be? You could argue the same for bullfighting in spain, legal but probably not suitable content. I could blame softy millennials but neither 'sports' have appealed to me in 50 years so it wouldn't be something I personally would watch.

We used to have a saying here in the uk, if you don't like whats on the screen, turn it off or choose something else. Unfortunately, the server owners there will worry more about the backlash from anti cruelty groups and others rather than your individual freedom to watch content that others might deem cruel, obscene, inappropriate etc...