In Progress A question about the new tag explorer.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael J Elliott, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott Active Member

I just uploaded a video yesterday and noticed the new tag explorer.
    Firstly, congrats Andrew and Phil for taking this to the next level. So much more info with weighted tags.
    I have a question though.
    Everytime I used the weighted tags the results were either poor or bad, when I used the suggested tags the results were the same.
    My channel has 144 subs with between 5-35 views per video.
    Does this mean, based on the weighted information that it will be virtually impossible for me to attain any sort of ranking?
    I spent an hour using the TB suggested alternatives all weighted ones were bad or poor but when I switched to unweighted some were good or fair.
    I'm not sure I should use them based on what the weighted screen says.
    Andrew can you explain and/or point me towards some help?

Damon likes this.
  2. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member TubeBuddy User

Top Poster Of Month

That's a good question, and I hope they get it sorted. I've wondered about this myself. I have seen that whenever I've noticed weighted keywords are good I almost always rank. Whenever I use unweighted keywords, I may or may not rank. I'm a bit confused as well, and I wonder how will a new person find their way up through the ranks.

Also I've found that a series of videos or playlist on a keyword phrase will more likely trigger the algorithm once you establish two or three videos on that subject.

That's how I broke into the mud motor keyword. Once I had several video on the subject, I started ranking on that subject.

3. Michael J Elliott

I'm with you Damon,
    I could be on the pc for literally hours until I strike gold with a good weighted keyword.
    Of course, I understand every channel will be different. You have a lot more subs and watch time than I do and it's probably the same for other larger channels.
    Perhaps a new video from Andrew to help with finding the better weighted tags would help us.

Damon likes this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

The way I look at it is like a stop light. How would you drive? If it's yellow do you yield or go faster? Red I usually stop, green obvious go. Weighted takes your channel authority into consideration. I always look for very low optimization score, because for me that's my chance to stand out for the term :)

5. Michael J Elliott

Great analogy Andrew!
    I now have a clearer understanding of Tag Explorer.
    I can choose to go if the light's amber or slow down and defo stop when it's red.
    Full steam ahead when it's green.
    Thanks so much :)

Andrew likes this.