Channel Review A fresh set of eyes needed to help me improve

Discussion in 'Content Feedback' started by Mark_LifeBeginsAt20, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Mark_LifeBeginsAt20

Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 Newbie Member

Hi everyone, I thought someone on here may well be able to help me take my channel to another level. I currently make 2 videos a week, have gained a recent sponsorship on the channel and doubled my subscriber count in just under a month which is all fantastic. But in the back of my mind, I always feel that something can be improved upon which would really help the channel overall bring even more people in. Hopefully one of you may be able to help :)

Link to Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChyrX2-e2eRV2Vi6dsf63dw

Self Review: I've been growing at a better rate than I thought, but I always think there is something more I could be doing to really help get my content out there, whether it's better tagging, thumbnails or my presentation. I'd love a fresh set of eyes to let me know if there is a glaring error I've made that's letting me down.

Link to my review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/thumbnail-feedback.5282/#post-17234

Andrew likes this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

You're doing very well! One thing I do want to remind you of is MTG is a niche community, so while I love what I am seeing here that is something to keep in mind. I see a lot of content, but what if I know nothing about Magic? .... Which I don't besides it's popularity and the base colors. Why not start your channel with New to Magic The Gathering? Check these out? Followed by a playlist for more experienced players.

I like your thumbnails, but at time they are a bit hard to read because of the background image being a bit overpowering to the simple font @Aaron could explain that a little better on how to fix :)

I also think that your content is strong, but the layout for your channel is very much geared to people who know magic, at least as someone who doesn't play that's what I get. I am a bit intimidated by it, but it also depends are you trying to get new players, or experience players. I like your name and think your video quality and tags are alright, but Naming could be better. For example MTG Cubed: Episode 1 - Introduction To Magic: The Gathering is very lengthy. Why not MTG: Cubed #1 Intro to Magic: The Gathering! Also consider this YouTube is a search engine? Are your titles/tags answers to searches? I see a few that are, but aren't properly titled or tagged in a way which demonstrates that. I'm sure you found YouTubers who had an answer to a question you are asking, so do the same for other users :)

Overall, I enjoy your channel and hope this is helpful for you!

3. Mark_LifeBeginsAt20

Originally the channel was based around the niche within a niche of the Cube format itself within Magic: the Gathering (which is mainly for experienced players), but I can certainly see a big market for helping new people into the game itself! So thank you so much for that idea. I can certainly see doing videos on what magic is, how to play basics and so on being useful to bring a new audience into the channel.

As for the thumbnails and overall look of the channel, this is something I really need to work on. I felt that my recent uploads - Inside the cube and my cube update videos released this week were heading in the right direction of a better, more eyecatching (and legible) thumbnail - maybe you'll be able to tell me otherwise or @Aaron would be able to steer me in the right direction. I'll definitely be going back when I have time to re-do all of the previous thumbnails help make the channel look more consistent and clean.

I've recently been watching a lot of videos of having a core goal or message for the channel. For me it was to introduce players to the best format (in my opinion anyway) but like you said, introducing players to the game, then they can follow that up with the format itself may well be a great way to begin.

I agree that my titles could be a little more exciting/clickbait (the good kind) and my tagging while getting good search rankings for what they are, I didn't really get the concept of them properly with the tag explorer and the ranking system on that, so I will definitely try my best to look at other educational channels to get ideas of how to achieve this better.

Thank you so much for your feedback, plenty for me to work on!

Andrew likes this.
  4. Andrew

Andrew Superman Administrator

When you make that series about starting Magic, let me know! I would love to have a guide, also have a friend who plays magic and he would love a channel like this, I'll send it his way. His name is Pat :)

5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member Verified Professional

Managed to see this post by luck... for whatever reason @Andrew tagged me and I wasn't notified... in fact I'm never notified when I'm tagged (and I should be...)

That said allow me to provide you some thumbnail guidance!
    Rule 1: DON'T DO THIS:
    [​IMG]

Rule 2: Consistency is key... if the Magic logo is always in the right upper corner.. keep it there always.

Rule 3: Design thumbnail in 1920x1080 and if you can't read it at 1/6th the size and get the point, its not designed well.

Guitar Hack likes this.
  6. Mark_LifeBeginsAt20

As soon as I do, I will let you know :)

Thank you for the tips - I'll be making changes for sure to my thumbnails over the course of my channel. It's definitely something I need to make sure it consistent and your tips have helped a lot, thank you :)

Aaron likes this.
  7. Guitar Hack

Guitar Hack Active Member

Hi Mark.
    Andrew and Aaron have some good points.
    Andrew's advice about beginners was also my question. Growing your audience is the main goal with either good content or niche content. You have both, so growing should be easy with the right SEO and thumbnails.
    You channel tags don't mention Learn, or MTG Guide, or hints or tips or beginners or Advanced or Master, etc
    Learn MTG Cube
    Beginners MTG Cube
    Master MTG Cube
    Hints and Tips for MTG Cube

Your tags for "MTG Cubed: Episode 1 - Introduction to the Magic: The Gathering Cube Format"
    You don't have Beginners Guide or Getting started, Learn, Etc
    cube.JPG
    Possibly change
    Inside The Cube: Episode 1 - Introduction to Archetypes in MTG Cube
    to
    Learn MTG Cube: Episode 1 - Introduction to Archetypes in MTG Cube
    or
    Beginners MTG Cube: Episode 1 - Introduction to Archetypes in MTG Cube
    Thumbnails
    Check out @Life Effects https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClewKi2QQWyh7Ng4pu_5fpg
    His channel layout and new thumbnails really POP
    Cheers

Mark_LifeBeginsAt20 and Andrew like this.
  8. Mark_LifeBeginsAt20

Thank you very much for your suggestions - Inside the Cube was meant to be a series name - but I've already started to implement the tagging. I'm going to spend a lot of time over the next few weeks, really pushing the look of the thumbnails as that's something I need to standardise throughout the channel with a brand. Plus I'll definitely be pushing the beginner's content too.
    I've checked out Life Effects channel and you are right! The thumbnails look great - I think graphic design elements will help push the content even more, especially as most of the videos I've made are evergreen.
    Thank you for taking your time to look at the channel and give me suggestions. I really appreciate it!

Andrew likes this.