TubeBuddy Tips One subconscious habit that forum users should note

Sibernethy

New User
Subscriber Goal
If you're wanting people to take you seriously as a Youtuber, have an avatar on whatever forum you use. How people perceive you often hinges on whether or not you have an avatar. Without one, you look like an amateur. How do I know this? Guess. That's right, I use this as part of my own screening and scouting process. Any Youtuber worth their salt will have an avatar.

So simple, and yet a ton of people aspiring to be Youtubers neglect this basic thing and wonder why nobody takes them seriously. It's not an explicit bias but it's subconscious.

If you're seeking a collaboration of some kind, consider what I've said.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you're wanting people to take you seriously as a Youtuber, have an avatar on whatever forum you use. How people perceive you often hinges on whether or not you have an avatar. Without one, you look like an amateur. How do I know this? Guess. That's right, I use this as part of my own screening and scouting process. Any Youtuber worth their salt will have an avatar.

So simple, and yet a ton of people aspiring to be Youtubers neglect this basic thing and wonder why nobody takes them seriously. It's not an explicit bias but it's subconscious.

Agreed, another thing is take the time to fill out your profile and post more than just in promotional areas. People won't interact with you, if you haven't interacted with anyone.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
You mean I gotta actually participate in this forum? Screw that!

It doesn't take that long to find an avatar lol. I don't even use my own avatar on the forum (the main reason is because it's hard to see my name).

Agreed, another thing is take the time to fill out your profile and post more than just in promotional areas. People won't interact with you, if you haven't interacted with anyone.
Don't forget to mention the collaboration thread as well. I rarely go on that because all I see are people who haven't posted anything other than that section. As much as I am up for a collab, I don't see the worth in doing it with someone who only comes on to look to look for collaborations.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Yea I tend to base my "creators I want to work with"-wishlist much more on how interesting / likeable I find the person rather than "common channel topics".

RGS Rblood

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

Whilst it definitely does give the creator some credit. it can also be overlooked. I personally, have never paid attention to the avatar. I pay attention to the person and why or what makes them interesting and why i should work with them. There avatar is just for looks and doesnt mean anything about the person themselves
Filling out a profile so we can understand if you are calm and collected or my favorite thing? Loud, Rambunctious, sometimes annoying or hell even funny. This is something i could get from you profile and stuff.
The profile pic means very little and with or without one. Especially on a forums where we help each other succeed. Would you want people to feel that towards you if you did not possess a good or even remotely original prof pic? I would hope not. SO try to learn the person and not judge their avatar. For all you know that person could be the sweetest person ever and become a good friend.

xingcat

TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I find it's mentally easier on me to remember who is saying what when someone has an avatar. This forum is really decent, in terms of the people who have filled out their profiles and uploaded avatars, but on some, there's a big sea of the same icon over and over again and it's really hard to distinguish who is saying what.

RGS Rblood

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I find it's mentally easier on me to remember who is saying what when someone has an avatar. This forum is really decent, in terms of the people who have filled out their profiles and uploaded avatars, but on some, there's a big sea of the same icon over and over again and it's really hard to distinguish who is saying what.
Then try looking at what they said and taking a second to look at a name. Some of my best friends i met through forums where one of us didnt have a avatar. People are people and if you looked at what a person says and thoroughly liked it or thought it was interesting. Then look a name. Most often, Its not easy to forget.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Then try looking at what they said and taking a second to look at a name. Some of my best friends i met through forums where one of us didnt have a avatar. People are people and if you looked at what a person says and thoroughly liked it or thought it was interesting. Then look a name. Most often, Its not easy to forget.
Pictures are much easier to look at and to see/distinguish, especially at a quick glance, than words are.

I think having an avatar/profile pic also shows a bit of professionalism. For a YouTube channel, especially a serious one, you kinda have to work on branding. Part of branding is having a logo. A huge part. Your profile pic should be your "logo" and it'd be quick and easy to see.

OP
OP
Sibernethy

Sibernethy

New User
Subscriber Goal
Whilst it definitely does give the creator some credit. it can also be overlooked. I personally, have never paid attention to the avatar. I pay attention to the person and why or what makes them interesting and why i should work with them. There avatar is just for looks and doesnt mean anything about the person themselves
Filling out a profile so we can understand if you are calm and collected or my favorite thing? Loud, Rambunctious, sometimes annoying or hell even funny. This is something i could get from you profile and stuff.
The profile pic means very little and with or without one. Especially on a forums where we help each other succeed. Would you want people to feel that towards you if you did not possess a good or even remotely original prof pic? I would hope not. SO try to learn the person and not judge their avatar. For all you know that person could be the sweetest person ever and become a good friend.
It's like Jim Rohn once said: once people get to know you, they'll judge you by more than what they see but at first they're gonna take a look.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with this too. I also think people on forums who fill our their profile I remember more.

Anthony Smith

New User
TubeBuddy Legend
we all know the basics about YouTube right? Channel art, fill out profile/metadata etc. why should forums or social media be any different? IDK I'll agree that it's hard to take someone seriously if they don't put in the minimum effort to cover the basics... I've also been known to swipe left on tinder when women don't fill out their profiles. maybe I'm a snob but when I am looking for additional information, context, etc about who you are and what you do I don't want to jump through additional hoops to get that information.

/rant... sorry...

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
we all know the basics about YouTube right? Channel art, fill out profile/metadata etc. why should forums or social media be any different? IDK I'll agree that it's hard to take someone seriously if they don't put in the minimum effort to cover the basics... I've also been known to swipe left on tinder when women don't fill out their profiles. maybe I'm a snob but when I am looking for additional information, context, etc about who you are and what you do I don't want to jump through additional hoops to get that information.

/rant... sorry...
You want to know a person... not a profile?!? HOW DARE YOU!?!?!