Need Advice Looking for more "energy"

I recently got some feedback on one of my videos that said I needed to find a way to increase the level of energy I bring to the video in order to keep viewers more engaged throughout. I agree with the feedback but I'm not entirely sure how to go about addressing it. I'm naturally a very chill, logical guy (ie Engineer) so jumping around on camera waving my arms comes off really artificial for me.

I'd like to source ideas from you all. Do you have any techniques for getting hyped and energetic while making videos? Does it just come naturally for you or are you applying some acting techniques?

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
There's nothing wrong in being chill in your videos. There's are YouTubers who are like that and people like to watch them in contrast to the bigger high energy YouTubers. It's being monotonous and having a lack of inflection.

That person giving you the feedback might be more used to a hyperactive narrative. I was checking out your video and you have your webcam over a gameplay. Maybe that's what they mean as a more entertaining watch, rather than seeing you sit there and talk. For me, honestly, your kind of video would be a listen in the background, so whatever happens on the video doesn't matter to me. Your voice is good and you don't have to change it.

However, since you ask for ways to be more energizing. I always had a problem with being stiff when reading scripts. I'd try to loosen my voice before recording. Like how in choir they make you do voice exercise before actually singing. Ala "mayo mayo mayo mayo" and continuously go down in tone. And other vocal stuff :L

It's like stretching before you exercise lol

Life Effects

TubeBuddy Star
I think i have a similiar situation.
I am german but do my videos in english. And it's quite difficult transfering energy through the process of translation AND overcome any constraints by the camera AND overwrite a chilled nature.

So i am not the best example but try to ignore the thought who might watch your video. Try to imagine your're speeking to a buddy of yours about the things you are passionate about when you hit that record button.

Xscape

New User
familienshow.biz
Subscriber Goal
I recently got some feedback on one of my videos that said I needed to find a way to increase the level of energy I bring to the video in order to keep viewers more engaged throughout. I agree with the feedback but I'm not entirely sure how to go about addressing it. I'm naturally a very chill, logical guy (ie Engineer) so jumping around on camera waving my arms comes off really artificial for me.
I understand your problem, I'm a little just like that, haha.
But I analyze people I watch, and I think if you only start your video in an energetic way people will want to watch more of what you do and say. Just think of a good introduction, a certain sentence you can repeat again and again every time you start. And say it in an energetic way. Just try it in front of a mirror until you feel good about it.
I haven't made a decision on that yet, too, but I will develop something like that soon, too. It's like branding yourself if you have that certain sentence you always use to say hello to your viewers.

Peteyb43

New User
Thee's always Red Bull, but seriously...The more you do vids the slicker you become and eventually the words flow on auto...do at least one Vid a day to get there!

Doug

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
Old thread, but I'm gonna reply anyway as this hit home...

I think this comes with time.
Two thing I'm doing to help myself with this...

1) I have a green post it on the monitor that says "React Bigger"
2) I make a point of reminding myself - no one can hear my inner dialog

I know #2 sounds weird but I had noticed in the past something would happen in game ... and in my HEAD I was thinking "Wow! That's Amazing!" ... but because I was into the game all that came across on the video was a half smile and "Awesome."
It's tough for introverts (like me) - but we gotta remember we have to convey our feelings as well as narrate the action.

... I say all of this as someone who's working on it - not as a pro who'd nailed it. :)

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
I have the same thing, when I explain things or just play videogame lets plays (I had a channel before ShuriBear which did this) and it's not the content where I sounded enthousiastic and happy. It was hard for me to transfer my joyness to others. Then I found out playing with people and actually be very passionate about the game made me commentate/speak very uplifting and energetic. So go around and find a game/way that make you feel that way.

Jay

TubeBuddy User
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Before you begin attempting to be more 'energetic', remember that you always need to remain yourself. Don't try to change over a few viewers criticizing you. I have a similar story to this whenever I was live streaming on Twitch. The chat would consistently tell me that I needed to do this... that... and this. Sooner or later, I just got fed up because I wanted to be perfect and perform what was the uttermost best for the stream. However, it reached a point where I started dreading the entire activity as a whole.

All in all, just remain yourself. Energetic or not.