YouTube News How Much Weight Do You Give Trending Topics?

xingcat

TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
Many of us really want to make sure we're reaching the largest number of viewers we can on each upload. One of the things we're told by YouTube is to see what's trending in our respective areas of focus and try to make videos about it.

How much time and effort do you spend researching what's trending (for instance, new movies, new games, things in the news) and make videos about them? How does that work out for you, compared with "evergreen" content?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Many of us really want to make sure we're reaching the largest number of viewers we can on each upload. One of the things we're told by YouTube is to see what's trending in our respective areas of focus and try to make videos about it.

How much time and effort do you spend researching what's trending (for instance, new movies, new games, things in the news) and make videos about them? How does that work out for you, compared with "evergreen" content?
Well I usually never do purposefully. For example VidCon Is still trending and Cars 3 are still trending and those were videos I made recently that just happened to be come into what I was doing. However, I can't deny I have seen more views on these topics, but since they are all so new I can't say how well they will do in the long term. Meanwhile a topic that isn't trending "How did I get verified" For me is at almost 5,000 views and is more Ever Green, and will be relevant for a long time, so I focus on searchable evergreen content more so than trending.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I don't ever really try to get in on "trending" topics for a few reasons.
1. I'm not researching it enough to know about it :p
2. I can't afford all the newest, bestest, mostest exciting games that come out every second day
3. I just can't make videos fast enough to get in on it.

That being said, if I have an idea about something that, whether it's trending or not, or I can get in on it in time or not, if I want to do it, nothing will stop me.
My best idea with this so far was some parody video thing I did about Sebastian Maniscalco's "doorbell" act. I still get views every week on that video after over a year :D

Last edited:

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Im always astonished what's trending right now - my issue is more or less that I really have an international audience and trending is usually a local thing (interesting to change your location just to see what's going on in other places :D) if I have something really actual and there is nothing up regarding this topic I might do a video on that - I guess you actually have to make something on a trending thing before its trending in our size of channel - if you jump on the train there is already too much competition.

www.heartkeycreations.com
Subscriber Goal
The trending topics on You Tube do not really apply to what I am doing so while I research what is trending in my niche, I ask myself what is missing and can I make it a trending topic? Example: Fluid art is very trendy right now but no one does it in oils. Can it be done in oils? What happens when you do it in oils? So on and so forth.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The trending topics on You Tube do not really apply to what I am doing so while I research what is trending in my niche, I ask myself what is missing and can I make it a trending topic? Example: Fluid art is very trendy right now but no one does it in oils. Can it be done in oils? What happens when you do it in oils? So on and so forth.
I actually love that idea for a video, and want to see it now :X You'll have a view from me when it's out. Fluid art with Oils.

Draconicrose

Subscriber Goal
I pay attention to what's trending simply because it's my own interests. So I know what new games are coming out, generally, because I naturally come across it in my personal time. That said, I will only do videos about new games if I can afford them, can run them on my pc and am interested in them.

For example, Dream Daddy just came out. I had to borrow money from my boyfriend to get it, which I will repay next month, to catch the trending train, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it. I've certainly got more views on it than my other videos (3x more in fact).

Chase Charaba

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I don't pay much or any attention to what's trending. Trends are trends. They die off.

I make vlogs and short narrative videos, so I focus on my life and what I'm doing, whether that's hiking or going on a road trip or reviewing something that I purchased. I don't like to force myself to make videos that are trendy. So, I don't look for it at all. That being said, if there's a major snowstorm in the area or something, I'm jumping on it and getting my video up while people in my area and searching YT or videos of the event.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I actually don't spend that much time seeing what trends in the market I play in. I find an interest in a topic I want to talk about, I make a video on it. Whether it gets hit with a trend later on is what gets me lol. I'll check on a video later on and I find out that it's getting more views because the topic is trending and people stumble upon my videos.

Paul

TubeBuddy Legend
texturemaster.com
Subscriber Goal
I really don't pay any attention to trending topics. I have a niche within the DIY searches that has a good amount of activity. People always seem to need information when fixing up or repairing their home.

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Trending topics can be a bit cliché if your a little late. In guitar circles "Is the electric guitar dying?' is the latest trend that is now generating haters by the droves and needs to be avoided. 'Tone Wood' was the other big one.
Both of these are controversial topics that have split opinions. These types I avoid, (Not worth the hassle)
Best views I've got is from posting knowledgeable comments on trending topics of larger YouTubers.
Trending Topics :-
If your in early it can be a great kickstarter for your channel.
If your late to the party, you'll just collect haters..:(

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I guess it would depend on your channel aims and target audience. I have an expat channel, talking about retiring to the Philippines. Nothing very trendy. The videos with the best views are budget, grocery prices, housing, and talking about relationships... I prefer to make travel vids ha ha

But my demographic is males, in the US, over 50. It was not my intention but that is just who watches. They don't want trends - they want to reminisce about the good old days... :)

Some of the channels I watch do chase trends and it seems to be a lot of work for a short lived subject. They get a spike in views for a short time, then the video dies. I would rather find something with long term appeal (although the "trend" vids might go viral?)

Ceorge_Christofi

TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
What are trending videos anyway?

No, I take no notice of them because there is nothing in my niche that ever trends. All of creators in the niche produce pretty much evergreen content that has no trend to it. After all, a radio made in 1940, or 1950 or 1960 isn't going to be a trend is it? There may only be one or two videos about each model of radio worldwide so if you are looking for information then you tend to find it quite easily as there is nothing really in competition.

Where things work out from to me is follow on traffic, you spot another video from the same creator that you watch afterwards. As long as you liked the first one that is! That will be pretty much where my extra traffic would come from. If I'm better than the next guy, or my production is clearer or easier to hear then that is where I will score.