• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Removing It's Video Editor!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello All!

While I Don't use this editor personally I know people that do! Here is what has been said:

"
Hi everyone,
We wanted to let you know that the Video Editor (youtube.com/editor) and Photo slideshows will go away on September 20th, 2017. Weve seen limited usage of these features, so were retiring them to focus our efforts on building new tools and improving on other existing features. Youll have two months to finalize any video projects before we turn off the features completely. After that you will no longer have access to projects in the Video Editor, but any videos already published with the Video Editor will not be affected. "

Source: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/dx5xKn6v6rM

What are your thoughts on this? I think it was a cool feature, but I could see how it got under utilized too. I use premiere, but I know some use just this. What are your thoughts and takeaways?

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I thought the lack of use would have taken it the other way.
Instead of removing it, I thought it would have been improved.
I don't personally use it, nor have I, but I know people that depend on it.
- Is it another way to weed out small channels? -
Surely Google isn't targeting the small channels again!

Reactions: TubeBuddy

xingcat

Experienced Poster
TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal

Just an interesting bit of information for anyone who uses the editor feature in YouTube (it turns out that you're in the minority if you do, because almost nobody on YouTube does), it's going to be sunsetted sometime soon.

Discipulo

The tool is especially helpful if you have to edit the video AFTER it has been published (eg. blurring out a face or a number plate) without losing any of the views you have counted up for the video.

It is also helpful in adding background music to recorded livestreams, again without losing your view counts.

However, the performance of the editor has been slow and some important features are missing (like being able to add more than one track of music, or being able to cut out different sections of the video -currently you could only trim the start and end, not the middle nor multiple sections.)

I think if they improved on it, streamlined it, it could actually take off in a big way. But they never really promoted it that much nor communicated clearly the benefits of it, and so most people probably didn't even know it existed or how to use it well.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree with you @Guitar Hack and @Discipulo I think improving over removing would be the better way to go. They mention in their video about redoing creator studio some things are easier to just rebuild then improve. Maybe this is one of them, but I do think they should keep it up until they have a replacement, if that's the case.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Just an interesting bit of information for anyone who uses the editor feature in YouTube (it turns out that you're in the minority if you do, because almost nobody on YouTube does), it's going to be sunsetted sometime soon.

Interesting to see this video! thanks for sharing!

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh. The only reason why I used video editor was to trim out a part that got claimed LOL. It was pretty convenient since I didn't have to reupload and lose my views.

Can't really feel much for it going away, other than a convenience that's being taken away :l

Doug

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I hope they still let you edit/save in place.
It's handy to trim sections of a live stream for example. Nothing local on my end so thing for ME to edit here.
It's nice to be able to clean up something like that.

Having said that... I can't imagine ever missing it for any "Real" editing work.
It was pretty limited and hard to use.

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I actually just used the video editor a couple weeks ago. I don't use it often, but I do think it would be better to improve on it rather than remove it.
There's a ton of people out there who don't have money (me being one of them) for #1 good hardware #2 good software.
If you don't have good enough hardware, then even free software won't work well and can't really be considered an option. (Some people have 10 year old laptops and stuff that may lag out doing simple tasks.)
If you can simply upload a video, then edit it directly on YouTube, that would be a huge bonus.

@Guitar Hack you mention Google targetting small channels, but I actually think, if anything, they're targeting poor channels.
Idk, probably not anyway, but it's a thought that came into my mind because, as I mentioned above, some people can't afford certain things. Some people turn to YouTube thinking it's going to be a great way to make money, and fast too. It seems more like they're trying to force higher quality content on YouTube. Which is understandable, but at the same time, I feel like it should be open to anyone who wants to try it out, not just those with money to get good equipment and hardware and stuff.

Reactions: Guitar Hack

Draconicrose

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
There's plenty of free video editors, even on phones, that work like it or even better. It doesn't make much sense for YouTube to maintain the editor. However it would be cool for Google to add a video editor to their office suite

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I used it a bit when I started youtube stuff like for example adding a intro worked resknable well with it but trimming & cutting was really difficult to use.
Overall it worked but not very good and they never went to improve it as far as I can tell.

I found disabling annotations worse because they where a really powerful tool - but I did not use it for over a year as well.

Last edited:

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Wait... does this also mean that I can't remove copyrighted songs that sometimes end up on my livestreams? o_o?
Exactly!
You'll have to delete the video and re-upload without the copyrighted songs.:confounded:
Bummer hey?

Reactions: DragoNate

ItsBecky

Recognized Member
Ive used it a couple of times to use the blur effect, if I see something that I feel wasn't blurred out enough before, but I don't use it for anything else, real shame they are getting rid of it though!

Metis Television

I am actually glad that they are getting rid of the Video Editor, simply that thing is for lazy people, and sometimes I see users who do videos using text only.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I did not know you go back and edit an existing video... how would one go about doing that? (before they take it away)