TubeBuddy Tips Daily Uploads!!!

Shawn Gossman

TubeBuddy Legend
www.hikingwithshawn.com
Subscriber Goal
For the past several months, I've been able to maintain an 'every other day' upload strategy. I mainly keep videos scheduled anywhere from 1-2 weeks at a time. Now I have finally decided to start the journey of having daily uploads, one video a day. I'm excited about it and have a lot of ideas to keep at it. I feel like it will help my channel grow.

My questions for you folks...

1. How long before you decided to upload daily?
  2. What was your strategy?
  3. How did you deal with "upload block"? (imagine writers block but for youtube haha)

Viktor Sághy

New User
viktorsaghy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Shawn,

Just want to send you some encouraging! Great step what you do. I've not started yet to post every day, but will do soon. Let me know how did it go?

Viktor

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I try to stick with 5 videos per week. Since I'm dong fishing videos, that can be hard. Usually only one or two of my videos is on the river. The rest is talking head stuff. Here's roughly how my videos break down:
  • Fishing adventure videos
  • Gear review videos
  • How-to videos
  • Mud-motor building videos
  • Philosophy Friday videos
  • Audience request videos
  • Product promotion videos
Once you categorize your videos, all kinds of possibilities/combos come to mind, For instance I can do a product promotion video that shows people how to rig and fish one of my lures during one of my fishing adventures.

Remember it's always a story. You're always telling a story about what you're doing. Even if you don't have any ideas, that in and of itself becomes a story: the story of a YouTuber who ran out of ideas.

I can't tell you the number of times I've gone fishing and didn't catch anything. Well, that became the story: the story of a fisherman who couldn't catch anything.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
When I first started on YouTube, I was doing 2 videos a day, gaming videos. This quickly became too much so I eliminated weekends. Still too much, so I did 1 a day, no weekends. That eventually got to be too stressful as well, so it dropped to 3 a week, Monday Wednesday and Friday.
Now, I live stream on those days, upload a daily vlog just kinda talking about my day, so it's very short and easy to edit. 3 of those daily vlogs every week also show me doing parkour. If and when I record other videos, I put them up on Tuesdays/Thursdays, but I don't worry about it too much.
I definitely don't want to go over 2 videos, including live streams, a day. That's just too darn much. Since my vogs are super short, hardly ever reaching 5 minutes in length, I don't think it's too bad.

It took me a year and a half to decide to do daily vlogs, which a couple months ago.
Right now, I'm kinda dealing with "upload block" because sometimes I have nothing really to say for my daily vlogs, so now I'm starting to either not do one if I don't feel like it (hasn't happened yet) or I may talk about something specific instead of my boring day :p

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I like your idea about dividing videos by theme in that way!
Nice channel and logo.
Do you think 5 times a week is crucial for growth?
Do you mean me?
I don't think more videos is necessary for more growth. There are channels that upload once a week or once month and still grow greatly.
I think it depends on what your content is, how long it takes to create a video, and what exactly you do on your channel.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Na, I don't think 5 videos per week is vital for growth. Everyone needs to set a minimum and maximum goals to (1) make sure you achieve your goal, and (2) not burn yourself out. For me that's three to five videos per week.

This week has been a four video week. We had Independence Day here in the US, and one of my fishing adventure videos didn't come out well. I don't stress if I don't hit five videos. Three is all I need to achieve my goals. I have all kinds of other business related tasks I have to do, like filling customer orders, finding new products to import, designing new lures and fishing tackle. The YouTube channel just a channel through which I tell the story of everything I'm doing with Black Warrior Lures, not an end in and of itself. That means no matter what is going on, I have something to post.

The growth I've experienced to this point came off of one or two videos per week. Then again I'm putting out videos no one else is like how to build outboard motors from go-kart engines, handline fishing, and such. Neither are big audiences, but the people seem to like what I'm doing.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Released at Vidcon 2017 is that three times a week is the new standard, and that is proven to count towards development. They also said that adding a video to a playlist counts as universal channel activity similar to that of an upload in effect :)

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
Released at Vidcon 2017 is that three times a week is the new standard, and that is proven to count towards development. They also said that adding a video to a playlist counts as universal channel activity similar to that of an upload in effect :)
Is there a such thing as "spamming" then, in regards to adding videos to playlists? Cuz today I must've added a video to a playlist about 8 or 9 times...

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Is there a such thing as "spamming" then, in regards to adding videos to playlists? Cuz today I must've added a video to a playlist about 8 or 9 times...
No it doesn't count as spam. From what they told us it acts as one action for that day and doesn't count for or against you.

Subscriber Goal
I went to four uploads a week. I usually don't have any probs as there's always a movie to review lol. I also do creepypasta stories and movie trivia etc. Lately, I've had trouble, not with ideas or anything but with the motivation to get videos done. Because I suffer from clinical depression it can be really hard to keep to my upload targer when I suffer from a bout of depression.
I've got one video to go for next week and I'm doing the research for another but it can be difficult.
Good luck with the new upload schedules:)

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
If your audience goes with it daily uploads are OK but in General if you already have some subscribers uploading "too much" will lead to you subscribers who have not enough time getting fed up - if you building a story or narrative which requires the people to watch regularly I would certainly go for a lower frequency.

I set myself a 2 video goal per week if I'm able to produce more I upload those videos as well but let them stay private so I can publish them whenever I have too much work or can't come up with a video. (of course only works with non time sensitive stuff / topics)

So far I have not met a creator who has managed a daily Vlog for a prolonged time (for sure there are some out there).

I would recommend to take a look on how many half way good videos you can produce per week without too much stress and than subtract 1-2 from that number - still do those videos but save them up for vacation, sickness, creative blockage etc. You should look for a balance where it's not too easy but also not too stressful - if you enjoy doing daily videos and your audience too just do it - if it is more of a burden and takes the fun out of stuff look for another way.

(I personally dispise daily uploads, major channels who start that I usually unsubscribe right away the problem is that most folks just can't watch so much stuff and it gets boring even if the videos are good and funny.)

Johnnys Train Videos

New User
TubeBuddy Star
A friend who has 130K plus subscribers told me he releases 1 or 2 videos on Friday, Saturday and Sunday @ noon. He also told me he releases videos usually 1 or 2 on all American holidays. I asked him what on the days and the holidays his response was that a lot of people are off work on those days and therefore have time to watch his videos. I have started doing this as well. No firm stats yet for me though.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Weekends are usually good but it all depends on your audience - there is a tool in TubeBuddy that can show you when is the best upload time (and day) = the time you get the most views and your viewers are online.
But that all depends very much on your audience - age, region, the weather and so on - if you have a teenage us audience and it's a really rainy summer you might get more views during that time while most get less.

Putting several videos up at once could become a problem if you aim at the same group of people with both - you basically competing with yourself. (Same if your videos all aim at your subscribers most won't watch them all and some might deactivate notifications like me because it's a bit annoying getting 5-6 notifications from the same guy at just one weekend.)

Doug

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
youtube.com
I started with daily uploads.
It just seemed like the thing to do given the channels I looked up to.

Can't say it's been easy.
Between my real job, the travel that it often requires, and my family... It's been tough.

Having said that... I'm still having fun. :)

I'm not sure what your genre is ... I'll check later but I'm actually boarding an airplane for one of those work trips... But my channel is a gaming channel so I've got lots of options when I start to feel like I'm out of ideas.

That's not to say blocks don't happen... But I haven't missed a day yet. :)

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

Can't say it's been easy.
Between my real job, the travel that it often requires, and my family... It's been tough.

Having said that... I'm still having fun. :)
I feel you brother (well no need to travel for work but to my workplace)
If you started that way and it's your stile obviously your audience is used to it and likes it.

Subscriber Goal
Yeah, I deal with major depressive disorder as well. It's healthy to take a break about every six weeks or so.
Exactly Damon
I have to remember that I'm not letting anyone down if I can't make four per week. Even with a bout of depression I managed three uploads this week and also gained a sub which cheered me up no end. Fishing must help with your condition too Damon as I hear it can be very relaxing but I don't know if that still remains true when it's for you tube lol.:)

xingcat

TubeBuddy Star
www.xingcat.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't have the stamina to upload every day, but we do upload 4 videos per week, which is just right for us. I find that being able to bulk film and edit on a dedicated day and having an iron-clad release schedule that is dedicated to each series on each day helps a lot. So I'm not scrambling for ideas the day before, or falling behind because I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing on any given day.

My hat's off to anyone who can upload daily. It can be a real grind, especially if you manage to do it for any length of time.