Need Advice What's going on with my stats???

Subscriber Goal
Hi Tube Buddies,
I need some advice or feedback to see if this is happening to anyone else. I'm finding my stats are actually going backwards!
Despite the fact that I've uploaded more vids, changed all my thumbnails to be uniform (as suggested by Nick Nichim on his live stream) and added more to my playlists, I'm just not growing!
I lost one sub (this was a travel guy and since I won't sub simply because someone has subbed me I think he unsubbed. I don't have an interest in travel so it's not fair to sub and not watch imho)
This Easter I uploaded three movie reviews in three days. Despite that view time is down, subs are down, watch time is down. The only stat that's up is engagement because of a lot of comments I've received.
Honestly, I'm starting to feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. My enthusiam is waning and reaching 100 subs seems like an impossibilitie.
Any help and advice would be really appreciated guys :)

Life Effects

TubeBuddy Star
Hi Michael,
I took a stab at your channel and this is what I came up with.

First - Playlists are working well - I clicked your frankenstein review and I got 5-6 of your videos recommended. An uniform thumbnail style is also there which is good. Your descriptions seem to be quite well
The rest of your channel art nice and matches your theme.

Here is the whole list of points and I write a bit more to some of them
- Style of Thumbnails
- Playlists
- Title, Tags
- Social Media Sharing (Hashtags)
- Image Quality

Your Thumbs are uniform but they can be improved. Here are a couple of suggestions based on the frankenstein one:
I was searching for a constructive way to describe what is bothering me but the blunt way might help you the most - if i search for "Frankenstein Chronicles Review" which is not even a tag of yours you are on #3 but if I really would want to see one - I would not click yours. And the reason is simple - it looks boring. The main focus is your television icon and the text "Television Show"; Can't even read the title of the Show - there is something tiny in the lower left corner. And it's a shame since there is not that much competition for that specific title.
Since there is not that much examples of that series I used The Movie Split as an example to bring that point across:
Use recognizable elements of the reviewed movie/series as main focus, put your head in the screen and if using text make it stand out more. Not bright red on a brighter reddish tinted background. Put a black box behind the text as an example.
Playlists - simple fix - put in a description with keywords.
Title and Tags - difficult to figure out - as I said you rank #3 on "Frankenstein Chronicles Review" without even putting that in as a tag. That being said - your Tags need some more love.
[ frankenstein] [Sean Bean] [Mary Maxwell Marin] [Mary Sheeley] [The Frankenstein Chronicles] [Frankenstein myth] [grave robbers] [body snatchers]
Not one Tag which incorporates "Review" "Series Review" "Television show review" Your descriptions are good but you need to blend Title, Tags and the descriptions together.
Social Media Sharing is a big thing - especially for us small channels. I can only see the twitter shares in the monitor but I can see there that you not once used a "#". Use something like #review #horror #frankenstein if you share. A tweet without any "#" is most likely reaching no one.
Your Audio quality is good - which is more important - but your image quality is really bad. I don't know if you are able to do something about that - equipment and software is fine if you have money but if you can't afford an update on that front - here is a tip for you.
Try to use daylight to get a more smooth lighting. That strong overhead light is hurting your image. Then use still images from the reviewed media for the background and scale down the footage of yourself and put it at the side. Comparable to the way gamers show gameplay with a facecam. At the smaller size it is not that obvious that your image has a low resolution.

I hope you find something usefull in this. :)

Making the split comparison right now
--- Post updated ---
This is not a search result - I put that together for comparison

I hope you can see it - there is a major difference in the styles and the viewcount even shows my own ranking for the styles.
split comp.png

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi Michael,
I took a stab at your channel and this is what I came up with.

First - Playlists are working well - I clicked your frankenstein review and I got 5-6 of your videos recommended. An uniform thumbnail style is also there which is good. Your descriptions seem to be quite well
The rest of your channel art nice and matches your theme.

Here is the whole list of points and I write a bit more to some of them
- Style of Thumbnails
- Playlists
- Title, Tags
- Social Media Sharing (Hashtags)
- Image Quality

Your Thumbs are uniform but they can be improved. Here are a couple of suggestions based on the frankenstein one:
I was searching for a constructive way to describe what is bothering me but the blunt way might help you the most - if i search for "Frankenstein Chronicles Review" which is not even a tag of yours you are on #3 but if I really would want to see one - I would not click yours. And the reason is simple - it looks boring. The main focus is your television icon and the text "Television Show"; Can't even read the title of the Show - there is something tiny in the lower left corner. And it's a shame since there is not that much competition for that specific title.
Since there is not that much examples of that series I used The Movie Split as an example to bring that point across:
Use recognizable elements of the reviewed movie/series as main focus, put your head in the screen and if using text make it stand out more. Not bright red on a brighter reddish tinted background. Put a black box behind the text as an example.
Playlists - simple fix - put in a description with keywords.
Title and Tags - difficult to figure out - as I said you rank #3 on "Frankenstein Chronicles Review" without even putting that in as a tag. That being said - your Tags need some more love.
[ frankenstein] [Sean Bean] [Mary Maxwell Marin] [Mary Sheeley] [The Frankenstein Chronicles] [Frankenstein myth] [grave robbers] [body snatchers]
Not one Tag which incorporates "Review" "Series Review" "Television show review" Your descriptions are good but you need to blend Title, Tags and the descriptions together.
Social Media Sharing is a big thing - especially for us small channels. I can only see the twitter shares in the monitor but I can see there that you not once used a "#". Use something like #review #horror #frankenstein if you share. A tweet without any "#" is most likely reaching no one.
Your Audio quality is good - which is more important - but your image quality is really bad. I don't know if you are able to do something about that - equipment and software is fine if you have money but if you can't afford an update on that front - here is a tip for you.
Try to use daylight to get a more smooth lighting. That strong overhead light is hurting your image. Then use still images from the reviewed media for the background and scale down the footage of yourself and put it at the side. Comparable to the way gamers show gameplay with a facecam. At the smaller size it is not that obvious that your image has a low resolution.

I hope you find something usefull in this. :)

Making the split comparison right now
--- Post updated ---
This is not a search result - I put that together for comparison

I hope you can see it - there is a major difference in the styles and the viewcount even shows my own ranking for the styles.
View attachment 744
Brilliant and informative.
Kudos

OP
OP
Michael J Elliott
Subscriber Goal
Hi Life Effects,
Thanks for that awesome advice,
THUMBNAILS:
Yep, I have probably taken the whole uniform thing a bit to far. My thinking was, since they are tv shows, make the creepy tv the focal point sinceit will appear across each review. I now have a better understanding of what you mean and will incorporate elements from the show/movie into the thumbnails. I will start adding a pic of yours truly to the thumbnails.

TAGS:
Honestly I hadn't even thought about using movie review, television show review etc! I'll fix that

Video Quality:
Yes I agree. ATM I'm using a Logitech C270, a very basic model. It seemed to be fine for awhile but now I notice the poor quality. I watched some tutorials which said to use 3 daylight globes. I bought those and put one in the overhead light socket and two in lamps placed on my left and right. Maybe it's too much for my office space. There is a lot of overhanging branches from the neighbours house so I don't get a great deal of natuaral light. I will start using frame in frame to minimise the prob till I get a better webcam.
* yep, forgot those hashtags lol
* Forgot to add description with tags to playlists
Awesome advice and easily implimented. Will make those small changes now.
Best Wishes
Mike:grinning:

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to be the voice of encouragement here because I'm tired right now and I don't think I can add anything to what @Life Effects has said.

Losing a sub isn't that much of a problem. In fact, if the reason he unsubbed is because you did sub to him, then good riddance!
Remember that it was Easter recently, which means that, since it was a holiday, some people may have been spending more time with family.
Sometimes you'll see watch time go down. It'll fluctuate, and this is normal. Just keep on keepin' on, don't lose hope, don't lose faith. 100 subscribers is within your grasp :)
When I last actually looked at the number, I remember you only having 25 or so subscribers. I never even saw you hit 30! You're at 41 right now, almost half-way to 100. It took me over a year to get there.
As I usually say, don't focus so much on the numbers as they only serve to discourage you. Focus on you and what you do and your audience. Keep improving.
Even if things aren't as great as you'd like right now, just wait a short bit and I bet things will improve greatly :)
You are doing an awesome job.

Life Effects

TubeBuddy Star
Focal Point - thanks! I was searching for that word :)
Glad you found it helpfull.

And as @DragoNate said - don't take the numbers too seriously. Have fun with this whole thing and with time the numbers follow.

Sweetie

New User
I am experiencing the same thing! For months, I have done exactly the same thing! I hit 1000 subs in February! I was so excited. I hit my goal in less than a year. I have been sitting on 1070 subs (more or less) for two months. I gain one, and I lose 3. I am still working just the same every day. I don't understand what is going on. I am glad to know I am not the only person. Stay strong!!!

OP
OP
Michael J Elliott
Subscriber Goal
I'm going to be the voice of encouragement here because I'm tired right now and I don't think I can add anything to what @Life Effects has said.

Losing a sub isn't that much of a problem. In fact, if the reason he unsubbed is because you did sub to him, then good riddance!
Remember that it was Easter recently, which means that, since it was a holiday, some people may have been spending more time with family.
Sometimes you'll see watch time go down. It'll fluctuate, and this is normal. Just keep on keepin' on, don't lose hope, don't lose faith. 100 subscribers is within your grasp :)
When I last actually looked at the number, I remember you only having 25 or so subscribers. I never even saw you hit 30! You're at 41 right now, almost half-way to 100. It took me over a year to get there.
As I usually say, don't focus so much on the numbers as they only serve to discourage you. Focus on you and what you do and your audience. Keep improving.
Even if things aren't as great as you'd like right now, just wait a short bit and I bet things will improve greatly :)
You are doing an awesome job.
Thanks for your support and Encouragement DragoNate. I think you found one of the causes straight away...Easter Holidays. Now they are over I notice my stats have increased again I'm now at 1.17K views which is the number that really excites me.
I will keep reminding myself that I'm doing this because I love the niche I'm in and people do seem to appreciate bringing them reviews of books or movies they may be unaware of.
Thanks for the encouragement :)
--- Post updated ---
Focal Point - thanks! I was searching for that word :)
Glad you found it helpfull.

And as @DragoNate said - don't take the numbers too seriously. Have fun with this whole thing and with time the numbers follow.
Thanks Life Effects,
Your advice was great, it sometimes takes a fresh pair of eyes to see what could be improved!:)
--- Post updated ---
I am experiencing the same thing! For months, I have done exactly the same thing! I hit 1000 subs in February! I was so excited. I hit my goal in less than a year. I have been sitting on 1070 subs (more or less) for two months. I gain one, and I lose 3. I am still working just the same every day. I don't understand what is going on. I am glad to know I am not the only person. Stay strong!!!
Thanks Sweetie,
It just shows how dynamic the world of You Tube truly is. Things change all the time. I'm commited to producing revelant and interesting content. It's a matter of not letting the figures get you down as DragoNate mentioned in this thread.
Best of Luck and success with your channel :)

OP
OP
Michael J Elliott
Subscriber Goal
Thanks Sweetie,
It just shows how dynamic the world of You Tube truly is. Things change all the time. I'm commited to producing revelant and interesting content. It's a matter of not letting the figures get you down as DragoNate mentioned in this thread.
Best of Luck and success with your channel :)
It's all good! Stay strong and keep working! I am!!
Thanks so much Sweetie, just uploading my latest vid now and the excitement has returned!