• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question what is your average shorts view?

Bdominique

Used to be at least 1,000 views per short. Lately it's been 400-600 views. This decrease happened with my last couple shorts. So recently

ongkewei

Subscriber Goal
If I upload short with my phone normally will get around 1.2k-2k view. If I upload with a pc even thou with the right ratio and tags my view for that short is 0 :)

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I don't think there is such a thing as an 'Average Shorts View...' those things are so random and sporadic I would not trust a metric like that at all. Some pop, some don't and the variables that cause these spikes and valleys are largely out of your control. It involves the amount of videos being published at that time, the viewership that is available at the time of publish, the quality of your content, swipe-through-rate and seasonal viewing trends.

Aialaden

Yup. I have uploaded quite a few shorts now and there is no telling really. They all go on random runs and just trickle views over time. 78 shorts posted in 3 months. The most views is about 2.3k the lowest is 89. They range anywhere inbetween those two numbers.

I just post and don't worry about that stuff.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Spray Paint David

TubeBuddy Pro
I agree with these two, even tho im new but and videos are different quality, and based on my research it does involve a little bit of luck and right audience. They push put your video and you need to hope that it hits the ''shorts shelf'' where if the video performs well it will gain loads of views, but if it does not it will stop. I have 1-2 shorts that did terrible for few days and then hit 1k, i have shorts 1.2k that where posted 1-2 weeks ago and still sit at the same amount.

watch time is not the only metric they look at, it feels like what they want more is people subscribing to you and liking your video + looking for more videos on your channel.
If you hit all those ones your short will do very well.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Hello everyone...

Just a heads up, congrats on growing your channel btw, seems to be doing well! But... I wanted to make you aware that your views to subs ratio is extremely high, it's taking over 800 views to get 1 sub. That's the highest I've ever seen the past 6 months learning YouTube. What this probably means is you're doing well with seo, thumbs, shorts, etc, but there's something missing that would cause more people to subscribe. What that is, I have no idea, but it's clear once you dial that in your subs are going to sky rocket!

Last edited:

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Just a heads up, congrats on growing your channel btw, seems to be doing well! But... I wanted to make you aware that your views to subs ratio is extremely high, it's taking over 800 views to get 1 sub. That's the highest I've ever seen the past 6 months learning YouTube. What this probably means is you're doing well with seo, thumbs, shorts, etc, but there's something missing that would cause more people to subscribe. What that is, I have no idea, but it's clear once you dial that in your subs are going to sky rocket!
Lovin' how you're always referring to those stats with people on the forum - do you mind sharing where/how you find out that ratio? I'd love to see what mine is, as well as being able to look at my competition and what's happening there... Thanks in advance!

Reactions: MediaMan

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
do you mind sharing where/how you find out that ratio?

No prob. :) It's based on the info publicly displayed on a channel, the number of subs and views. Views are found in the "About" section. The end result is not 100% accurate because it's typically not up to date with the exact latest figures. So we just... "total views / subs = subs per view". In your case... 4,744,558 views / 38500 subs = 123 views per sub. Which is typical of successful channels like yours. ;) My broad based channel is closer to 500 per sub but my singular focused channel is currently at 110.

MrBeast is at 172.

I've researched a lot of sites, seems like the average is around 300-400.

I think the biggest take away from this info is, if your channel's views to subs ratio is high it either means your content is not compelling enough or perhaps you're not reaching your core target market enough.

• Wow

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
No prob. :) It's based on the info publicly displayed on a channel, the number of subs and views. Views are found in the "About" section. The end result is not 100% accurate because it's typically not up to date with the exact latest figures. So we just... "total views / subs = subs per view". In your case... 4,744,558 views / 38500 subs = 123 views per sub. Which is typical of successful channels like yours. ;) My broad based channel is closer to 500 per sub but my singular focused channel is currently at 110.

MrBeast is at 172.

I've researched a lot of sites, seems like the average is around 300-400.

I think the biggest takeaway from this info is, if your channel's views-to-subs ratio is high it either means your content is not compelling enough or perhaps you're not reaching your core target market enough.
Fascinating stats to know! Cheers!

It's a pure numbers game - up your daily views and statistically, your subs will follow...

I'll have a deeper look in the backend and see if I can somehow split those stats between LF and SF video...curious to see what difference those will be!

• Love

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
FYI - per our chat above

Awesome video, thanks for sharing! From just his shorts.... 11m views / 13k subs = 1 sub for every 846 views. Very high! This is the pattern I'm seeing as well, shorts = more views but a higher view>sub ratio, long form less views but a more targeted user resulting in a lower view>sub ratio. The revenue from shorts is so small, once you get past 1000 subs I'm not seeing much long term value from shorts. hmm.....

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
That was a great video to share. Definitely food for thought planning ahead. I've been resistant to placing captions on the videos itself simply because it is more time and energy with what I currently believe is little benefit. I am open to experimenting but always concerned about splitting my attention into two different ways of creating especially when I don't think I have mastered long-form which is where my heart is at.

I could easily get sucked into Shorts because of my semi-obsessive personality but then, I feel certain my long-form videos would be further damaged on the lack of consistency front.

But don't mind me.... keep the dialog going and I will attempt to maintain an open mind.

FYI - per our chat above, check out Jeven's video where he posted 30 shorts in 30 days and analyzes what happened to his channel(s) over time...

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
That was a great video to share. Definitely food for thought planning ahead. I've been resistant to placing captions on the videos themselves simply because it is more time and energy with what I currently believe is little benefit. I am open to experimenting but always concerned about splitting my attention into two different ways of creating especially when I don't think I have mastered long-form which is where my heart is at.

I could easily get sucked into Shorts because of my semi-obsessive personality but then, I feel certain my long-form videos would be further damaged on the lack of consistency front.

But don't mind me.... keep the dialog going and I will attempt to maintain an open mind.
You bet, Matt!

Likewise here wrt OCD as I don't do things half-pregnant, which is a double-edged sword...

As mentioned in a few posts before, I'm willing to give this whole shorts videos the benefit of the doubt and see what the stats indicate after 30-60 days, so there's no "coulda woulda shoulda" from my side afterward - I tried, I failed; or I tried, I succeeded...

On a small side note, speaking of testing - given TT's endeavors of trying to go into the LF market (ie their vids can now be up to 10min long), I'm now downloading my IG LIVE videos (bigger ones to be split up in PART 1, PART 2, etc) and re-uploading them on TT. Let's see how that audience will react to my new 5-10min videos there... thus far (I uploaded my first one yesterday LOL), it's been VERY muted, but I know it'll take a few days AND a number of LF videos to give TT algo's an idea of what's changed on my channel.... let's see! I'll keep you posted

Reactions: MattCommand1

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Awesome video, thanks for sharing! From just his shorts.... 11m views / 13k subs = 1 sub for every 846 views. Very high! This is the pattern I'm seeing as well, shorts = more views but a higher view>sub ratio, long form less views but a more targeted user resulting in a lower view>sub ratio. The revenue from shorts is so small, once you get past 1000 subs I'm not seeing much long term value from shorts. hmm.....
I KNEW you'd be all over that stat! I swear I actually did the number calc myself when I saw that video (kinda proud of me for thinking that way now of your view/sub ratio!)

FYI - I didn't round it off, so I got an even worse figure of 880 and per your analysis the other day (300-400)...let's just round it to 1,000 views per one sub....that's just ouch! NEVERTHELESS, his channel blew up and HE will know very soon what'll happen to his engagement now on his LF content with pretty much ALL of his subs being originally SF audience at first...

• Love
Really like this thread very informative, I have been posting shorts for a few weeks now viewers have ranged from 2 - 1.2k views all very interesting. I wanted my channel to be based on wealth and lifestyle so for now I post a daily short on interesting topics around this, started with top 5 and slowly integrating other content. But like some others the main purpose of this is to build viewing times and subscriber in over a week I have had 13 new subscribers to the channel, I can only think as time goes on the count will multiply hopefully. Out of interest, how many shorts a day are other people posting to their channel?

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Really like this thread very informative, I have been posting shorts for a few weeks now viewers have ranged from 2 - 1.2k views all very interesting. I wanted my channel to be based on wealth and lifestyle so for now I post a daily short on interesting topics around this, started with top 5 and slowly integrating other content. But like some others the main purpose of this is to build viewing times and subscriber in over a week I have had 13 new subscribers to the channel, I can only think as time goes on the count will multiply hopefully. Out of interest, how many shorts a day are other people posting to their channel?
Very fair question - I think it all depends.

How often does one post long-form content? If your pace is once a month or week, doing a daily short video might not be in-line with your idea of engagement. Then again, if you post a 1-2 LF vids a week, it might be easier for your to do mix in a couple of shorts in between those, no?

My goal was to post a shorts video once a day for March - if I can squeeze in a few more before month end - I'll actually will have posted 18 video shorts (oops - the month flew by!). Putting things in perspective, I'm uploading my 6th long-form video for the month later today (my goal was 10 of them, so clearly this month wasn't meant to be for me!)

April here I come