• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News Good CNBC Article on YouTube vs. TikTok vs. Reels

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Dude, you are too much. :) You are actually analyzing the sections and sequence?

lol.. I can't help it, I'm fascinated by how YouTube and other social media manipulates us. :p I do wonder if the layout is the same for others. How does it look when you visit the YouTube home page?

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I do wonder if the layout is the same for others. How does it look when you visit the YouTube home page?
I just looked at both my accounts - neither of them showed any Shorts. I looked at the first 25 rows (I got tired of scrolling) and it was all long form vids, and about 50% from channels I subscribe to. Not sure what happened, but they finally have a good feed. I noticed I have been spending more time on YT... now I see why.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
lol.. I can't help it, I'm fascinated by how YouTube and other social media manipulates us. :p I do wonder if the layout is the same for others. How does it look when you visit the YouTube home page?

This is mine:

LF
LF
Shorts
LF
Community Posts
LF (rows & rows)

It is reflective of my viewing preferences. I will occasionally look at a short or community post. But I get rows and rows of LF.

Reactions: MediaMan

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
LF
LF
Shorts
LF
LF
LF
LF
etc you get the drift...

Reactions: MediaMan

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Yep... if YouTube was pushing shorts as much as some people would like us to believe I'm guessing we would see a bunch more of those shorts rows. ;)

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Reels is a newer feature on Instagram, which allows users to create and share short-form videos of up to 60 seconds in length. Reels are similar to TikTok in its focus on short-form video content and its algorithm-driven discovery system. It has gained popularity as a way for creators to reach new audiences and grow their followings on Instagram.View attachment 13405
With all due respect if I'm wrong, but thank you for that tidbit that smells like a copy/paste ChatGPT line. Not sure how that's relevant to this above discussion?

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Yep... if YouTube was pushing shorts as much as some people would like us to believe I'm guessing we would see a bunch more of those shorts rows. ;)
And yet... last 28 days... I get 2/3 of my traffic to my channel from my YT shorts vs 1/3 watching my LF....sooooo total views are up, watch time similar, and revenue flat-to-down (again)... hmmmm I won't jump to conclusions YET...

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
That's the flip side of the discussion, YouTube might be pushing our shorts more than our LF. And my data is similar to yours btw, about 2/3 coming from shorts. But it's still good to know that at least on end user's screens it's not row after row of shorts.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
With all due respect if I'm wrong, but thank you for that tidbit that smells like a copy/paste ChatGPT line. Not sure how that's relevant to this above discussion?

That account has thankfully been shutdown by the TB admins. I don't even understand why someone would waste their time to copy and paste a ChatGPT answer that is barely relevant to a discussion.

mayratours

mayratours.com
Subscriber Goal
Very Informative article.
The competition between the video-sharing sites YouTube, Reels (a function of Instagram), and TikTok is discussed in the article. The phrase implies that the creators who produce videos for these platforms do not depend on doing so in order to generate a lot of income.

Although these platforms do provide chances for creators to monetize their work through sponsorships or adverts, it can be difficult to generate a sizable income from them. Additionally, more individuals are producing material due to the growth of the "creator economy," which increases competition and makes it harder to stand out and make a big income.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Thx for sharing - hang on, you're not getting ANYTHING presented other than LF content in your feed?
Yep, and I am pretty happy about that. I would not mind a few Community posts (very few), but so glad they finally quit showing me Shorts. (the feed is also about 50% channels I already subscribe to)

A few months ago I got a survey about the YT feed. I told them exactly how much I disliked their feed, and questioned how their algorithm could be so wrong in what it recommends to me. I spend WAY too much time watching vids every day, yet their algorithm keeps recommended the same junk I never watch (what YT seems to want to promote, not what I want to view). Shortly after that... my feed switched. I find it hard to believe they would change just mine, from a survey... maybe I got put into one of their experiments? I find I spend more time on YT now that my feed is better, so if it is an experiment - I hope it gets approved and stays around.

• Love

HealthyTiffany

Subscriber Goal
Thanks for sharing this article.
Long form content will always be the bigger generator of revenue due to ads. Short form already caters to low attention spans, so presenting ads on that content or between that content will never drive the same traffic as someone genuinely interested in a topic like when they watch a LF video. The drive to click is not there.
Additionally, when you look at the groups who indulge in SF like reels or YT shorts, there's a much higher demographic of younger people- people who can't afford to buy or use any services, or even have the means of being able to consider a click on an ad, and definitely won't bother watching one. Even if you have a sponsorship and you utilize short form content- you are still more likely to have adults who are willing to spend money or check out your products on long form content.
It just... makes sense. Cater your content to people who have money and are more likely to click on / watch an ad / spend money on your product if you wanna make money, and younger people are not that demographic.

zazii

I used to watch the news in one place, but now even TikTok has introduced a new feature where you can submit the entire article. They haven't implemented it yet, but they will do it very soon.