• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Would greatly appreciate some feedback on my channel, please and thank you

somewhere in Korea

User name: somewhere in Korea
Title of thread: Would greatly appreciate some feedback on my channel, please and thank you
Self review: I have studied and worked extremely hard on the videos that I have put out so far, and have spent the last month, grinding 8+ hours a day on learning all the skills needed to make the best quality videos I could. Quite frankly, I'm happy with what I presented so far on youtube, but in my opinion, I feel that I could still do a much better job at having my personality show more.. I still feel a little ackward on camera. But doing voiceovers have really helped me so far to overcome that... Despite my hard work, I'm only getting a small number of views and in a month, I have less than 10 subs... what am I doing wrong?
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/@somewhereinkorea
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/53238/

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
Loved you travel style channel. You go into fantastic detain about the places you visit. I liked your shots of the temple particularly because of your professional camera work. For Americans, its fun to see the Asian culture and how its thriving. Best of luck to you on your YouTube journey.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Despite my hard work, I'm only getting a small number of views and in a month, I have less than 10 subs... what am I doing wrong?

You only have 4 videos and one of those is a trailer. So you're wayyyyy too new to have any real data to analyze imop. But wow...you're at 40 views per sub, which is extremely good! I'd check your analytics and see how your overall "click through rate" is. Most channels average around 5%-10% according to Google. My only concern with these types of channels (married couple vlogging) is the success or failure of the channel is heavily weighed on the hosts of the channel and how well you create a connection with your viewers.

I watched your recent video, and it's not bad, but it definitely has "we're new to YouTube" all over it, which is fine, we all go through that. It may take a bunch of videos before the both of you feel more comfortable in front of the camera. My only recommendation is to put more of yourselves in the video. Talk more about what you're doing, REVIEW the places you visit, things you eat, etc, and make sure BOTH of you give your own thoughts, etc.

It looked a bit strange for your wife to wear a mask and not you. I would recommend both of you either wear them or don't wear them.

Honestly, for your first 25 or so videos I wouldn't worry too much about views or subs. Just focus on content, video editing, becoming more comfortable in front of the camera, etc. And keep in mind, it's FINE to come back later when you guys are pros in front of the camera and revisit those early locations. ;) Good luck!

OP
OP
somewhere in Korea

somewhere in Korea

You only have 4 videos and one of those is a trailer. So you're wayyyyy too new to have any real data to analyze imop. But wow...you're at 40 views per sub, which is extremely good! I'd check your analytics and see how your overall "click through rate" is. Most channels average around 5%-10% according to Google. My only concern with these types of channels (married couple vlogging) is the success or failure of the channel is heavily weighed on the hosts of the channel and how well you create a connection with your viewers.

I watched your recent video, and it's not bad, but it definitely has "we're new to YouTube" all over it, which is fine, we all go through that. It may take a bunch of videos before the both of you feel more comfortable in front of the camera. My only recommendation is to put more of yourselves in the video. Talk more about what you're doing, REVIEW the places you visit, things you eat, etc, and make sure BOTH of you give your own thoughts, etc.

It looked a bit strange for your wife to wear a mask and not you. I would recommend both of you either wear them or don't wear them.

Honestly, for your first 25 or so videos I wouldn't worry too much about views or subs. Just focus on content, video editing, becoming more comfortable in front of the camera, etc. And keep in mind, it's FINE to come back later when you guys are pros in front of the camera and revisit those early locations.  Good luck!

Wow thank you so much for your in depth review!

What does 40 views per sub ? I didn't see that metric

Any tips on editing style or things I did poorly? Yeah we definitely need to get more comfortable on camera instead of relying on voice-overs. If we do then hopefully that'll help viewer's connect with us more

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
somewhere in Korea

somewhere in Korea

Wow thank you so much for your in depth review!

What does 40 views per sub ? I didn't see that metric

Any tips on editing style or things I did poorly? Yeah we definitely need to get more comfortable on camera instead of relying on voice-overs. If we do then hopefully that'll help viewer's connect with us more

sorry I just realized you just broke down the amount of views per subscriber that I have haha stooopid question...

So i'll get to work on talking more on camera and showing my personality etc.. should I edit differently? how about the song choices? I've chosen almost all with vocals.. not sure if thats too distracting, but I felt the song choices went well with the vibe ... but I do notice that most people choose to use songs without vocals

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I think your overall editing skills are way above average, just keep in mind most users aren't subliminally going to care too much with the bling of the video, they're going to connect with the content (does it match the desc & thumb?) and the human factor so those two things are vastly more important imop. I do agree that background music, at least when talking, should have no vocals in it.

So i'll get to work on talking more on camera and showing my personality etc.

On one of my channels, as soon as I "let loose" and for better or worse just let me personality fly (good or bad) views and subs started to climb. The "news broadcaster" approach can work but... in this case since the channel is being promoted as a husband and wife vlog, the quicker you guys cut loose and start having fun on screen, little antics of disagreement once in a while, taking turns being the host of the video, etc, etc, that's when viewers will really start to connect. Prepare yourself...just a fact of internet demographics.. your wife will eventually have a much larger fan club than you, so how you utilize that in your thumbs, videos, etc, could greatly benefit your click through rate.

OP
OP
somewhere in Korea

somewhere in Korea

I think your overall editing skills are way above average, just keep in mind most users aren't subliminally going to care too much with the bling of the video, they're going to connect with the content (does it match the desc & thumb?) and the human factor so those two things are vastly more important imop. I do agree that background music, at least when talking, should have no vocals in it.

On one of my channels, as soon as I "let loose" and for better or worse just let me personality fly (good or bad) views and subs started to climb. The "news broadcaster" approach can work but... in this case since the channel is being promoted as a husband and wife vlog, the quicker you guys cut loose and start having fun on screen, little antics of disagreement once in a while, taking turns being the host of the video, etc, etc, that's when viewers will really start to connect. Prepare yourself...just a fact of internet demographics.. your wife will eventually have a much larger fan club than you, so how you utilize that in your thumbs, videos, etc, could greatly benefit your click through rate.

thank you so much for your insight and input. If my subscriber rates ever rise in upcoming videos, I'll always feel thankful to you and appreciate the input that you gave me

Franklin Croes

Greetings :)
I'm brand new on YouTube but I honestly got enticed into watching your videos after watching your short trailer.
In my humble and honest opinion your Trailer is very "appealing".
The volume at the start of Haedong Yonggungsa' video is low.
I like the animations used in your videos.
I believe you need to create more videos so that you can get more views and subscribers.
Wishing you all the very best!

TVA Recordings

Subscriber Goal
Hello, i have watched your most recent video.

At first glanse, it looks professional. As if you've made over hundreds vlogs before.
The voice-over quality is good, the choice of music seems about right (however, there will always be a personal preference).
I especially like the quality of the animations you use. Do you make them yourself or a external party?

However, one thing that catched my eye's and ear's, is the overall resolution of the video and the volume of the audio.
The audio from the video seems to be slightly softer compared to other YouTube-video's.
May i ask what software you use to edit, and what your export volume is?
Generally, -12db is the most common used, this prevents sudden volume changes when swapping between video's.

And, this might be YouTube, but if i watch your drone shots, it seems very pixelated. Part of this is due to YouTube-compression, but it might also be that your export bit-rate might be low.
I suggest exporting video's (if the source is 4K60) on CBR 85-100mbps if you are using Premiere Pro.
See YouTube's recommended export settings: Here