• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Terribly stuck and not sure what to do. Please help!

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
I'm not asking for a review of my videos or channels but rather help deciding whether or not to combine said channels.

My primary channel has been around a long time, had been used as a means to share videos of the kids with other family members, uploading of old 8mm silent family videos, shots of myself playing the piano at home (no talk) and up until recently it had a single time-lapse cleaning video which I did put a lot of effort into making. That one was more for me than for family and had been uploaded in 2009 so it's old. Because of that single time-lapse and a couple of my piano videos, the channel has 500,000 views and 600 subs. It had more subs years ago but I let years go between videos.

Now i'm in a place in life where I want to dedicate a lot more time to making videos. I LOVE love love editing videos. So two months ago i started making more time-lapse videos and then I created a second channel because I wanted to start a running vlog. Everything said niche down, so I made the new channel rather than using the same channel. That new channel has 4 vids, zero subs, 3 likes (i just noticed these likes 5 mins ago).

Problem is the thought of maintaining two channels does not appeal to me even tho they are so different in focus. So last night, I started the process of renaming my old channel to make it a "multi-passion" channel. Just about anything I'm into which right now is vlogging about becoming a runner AND time lapse cleaning. I hate the typical "clean with me" videos. Mine are more like music videos to cleaning. My old channel still gets 500+ views every month which is mind boggling to me for a channel that did not have any new vids in years.

But now that I'm halfway thru moving my vlog videos to my primary channel, I'm having second thoughts again. I'm not sure what I shoudl do?

I DO want to monetize if I can. And I feel that if people are still subscribing to a channel that has such a huge variety of things already, VLOGing can only help it. Especially since I had never talked in any of my videos before now. . And I think putting my vlogger videos makes sense for ME even tho it violates the whole nicheing down rules. I'm not sure I care that running and piano are not the same things. But then I also don't want to dilute my Running VLOG either.

I'm so confused. I can't decide what to do and as a result I just spent the last 3 days frozen instead of working on the next 3 videos which I already had planned.

• Love
Reactions: Damon

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
My story is very similar to yours. I started my first YouTube account in 2005 when YT first started. It was just a place to host videos to share with family and friends via text message or on Facebook because back then, YouTube was the only way you could do this unless you had your own website to host your streaming videos on. When Google bought YouTube, my Gmail account (which was what I used to sign up for YouTube) was combined with my YouTube account, and that is when YouTube shows my account starting with them, but I have been on YouTube since the beginning, in 2005. A couple of my videos took off and in 2014 YouTube started beating down on my door trying to get me to become a partner. I turned them down for two years, but finally took the leap in 2016, and after seeing the potential, decided to start doing YouTube seriously. Today, I have several channels in different niches, hundreds of videos, tens of thousands of subscribers, and millions and millions of views.

So, what I am about to say comes from 18 years of experience and countless thousands of hours of research, testing, and development. I will save you time and give you the TL.DR version. Turn Around and do not waste your time.

If you want to understand why I said this... Read on!

After 18 years of doing YouTube, I have pretty much stopped doing YouTube. Why? YouTube is dying. There will be a lot of people who read what I am saying and scream that I do not know what I am talking about, but I guarantee you that not a single one of them has more experience than me, or even half as much experience as me. Let me explain to you why what I am saying is true.

YouTube is a concept more than just a platform. The concept is that, a regular person, can make videos and post them online, and if they attract enough subscribers and views, they can earn some money by sharing in the ad revenue that results from that traffic. When I say that YouTube is dying, what I am talking about is this concept, not the actual youtube company. The YouTube company will exist in some form, but this original concept is dying. Here is why.

1. YouTube is no longer the only video streaming platform. Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram, all offer streaming video and are aggressively storming the market. YouTube used to be the number one most-watched video source in the world. Now it is falling way behind these others and losing ground at lightspeed.

2. The YouTube staff are making decisions that are effectively shooting holes in the bottom of a sinking boat helping it to sink even faster.

3. YouTube has an identity crisis and unfortunately has decided that it no longer wants to be YouTube, it wants to self-identify as TikTok.

Here is what you don't know about what has been going on behind the scenes in YouTube over the last couple of years. During the covid lockdown, a sort of perfect storm occurred. Smartphones in the last five years have made leaps in camera quality and can now produce an amazing quality video. The world had to stay home, including many famous actors and personalities. This coincided with the release of 5G data and Starlink, which gave virtually, anyone, anywhere high-speed internet. With nothing but time, high-speed internet, and phones capable of producing incredible video, overnight the amount of online video content creators went from tens of millions to hundreds of millions worldwide. The potential was enormous, and Facebook, TikTok, and Instegram seized it. YouTube just sat back and coasted on the previous fame. By the time YouTube woke up from their coma, it was too late. They had lost the lead. Then they made matters worst by deciding to chase after TikTok, which is so far ahead of YouTube, it is ridiculous.

The bottom line is this. You can still make videos and post them on YouTube, but you will NEVER make any kind of serious money doing it. You are like me. You want to make videos about things in your life that you are doing. Or as you called it, a "Multi-Passion" channel. You can do it, but it will never work well. YouTube is no longer about the small creator creating content that they enjoy. YouTube is all about two things. Learn these terms and learn them well, because if you want to be a success on YouTube now, this is all that matters.

1. Trend Following
2. Bing-worth Content

If you are not willing to give up what you want to make videos about and keep your thumb on the pulse of the current trend and try to be the first one out of the gate with content, you are not going to go anywhere on YouTube. I am not the only one saying this. YouTube themselves admitted this in a recent interview with VideoMaker Magazine. They clearly stated that they have programmed the YouTube suggestions algorithm to favor people who make Binge-worthy Content. Don't know what binge-worthy content is? Just get on TikTok for an hour or Facebook Reels. That is what YouTube wants you to make. If you are not making that kind of content, you are not gonna do well.

Up until two years ago, Youtube was known as "YouTube University", a place where you could learn anything. The YouTube staff HATES this idea of YT being thought of that way. Why? Because educational content is "One and Done" content. If you want to learn how to do something, you do a search, watch a video, and then go do it. Youtube Hates, Hates, HATES! that. YouTube wants you to binge-watch video after video after video for hours. Educational content in general does not inspire the type of binge-watching behavior YT wants. If you produce One and Done style content, you can have content on youtube, but it will NEVER! suggested by the algorithm, and Suggestions are the only source of traffic, now that other platforms like Facebook have shadowbans against YouTube content (you can post it, but they suppress its visibility without you knowing it).

So my advice to you is this. You have been content to do youtube for a long time just for fun. Be satisfied with that and keep doing what you are doing. However, if you want to make money, either transform into what YouTube wants you to be or find a different platform.

I am just trying to be honest and keep you from wasting your time. Some will appreciate this, others will get mad and throw stones at me for busting the bubble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taniaruns

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
youtube isn't the only platform trying to tiktokify and join in on that success. facebook and instagram have done the same. Annoyingly. tiktok is successful because it engages people's attention like nothing else. but tiktok and youtube are like apple and oranges. IMO, tiktok is like heroine and youtube is a full meal with sides and dessert. There's fried foods too, but at least you have a choice.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your assessment that youtube is dying. I've recently discovered many youtubers who only started 1 or 2 years ago and are doing really well. They are the only reason I would even have hope that I could be monetized. Their videos are far from blingy. They have a lot to learn about making videos, but I'm engaged 100% because they are just real people sharing their life. If i wasn't hooked on their channels, I'd never even think I'd have a chance on building a community myself. I think people want authentic connection with others. You can see that based on their comments. I'm even seeing vlogs from korea and japan now on subject matter I find interesting. Youtube has always been good at showing me what I want to see. If I'm searching for instructions for something I also get the small channels that are sometimes hard to watch because the videos are so bad.

Channels like. Mr. beast or any of the other shock and awe channels just don't interest me at all. Only my 8 year old son is into that. There's something for everyone, imo. But you gotta play the seo game. and as a youtuber they need to make better videos. I only have 4 vlog videos out and I know they are terrible so I was shocked to see 3 likes.

I looked thru your channel real quick and maybe the most recent videos are lacking but your older ones look engaging and 18k views on one video is amazing. And I would kill to have 17k subs.

I'm not looking for emma chamberland level success, but her videos are proof that you don't need bling to succeed. You just need to be real and have an entertaining personality if your niche is vlogging.

I recently found nomadic introvert. Just a woman living in her van and she's got 100k+ subs now. why? I still don't know why because her videos aren't the best and she repeats herself a lot which I find annoying, but I'm still hooked. I'm just hoping a few people find my annoying az addicting too. lol

If I can make a couple hundred a month, that'd be just awesome. I already have a career so I'm not looking for money to live on.

As for my original question here.. I haven't had a single person answer it no matter where I post the question. Maybe it's because nobody knows. I'll just go with my gutt I guess.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
For me I don't have the energy to run two channels, so your intuition on combining into one channel works well for preserving your own sanity.

My perspective is different. I came into YouTube from running a simple fishing tackle business on Ebay. Customers kept asking me how to rig and use the my fishing tackle; therefore, YouTube became a customer service extension. The channel grew from there as I learned video editing and documentary filmmaking.

From the outset I had professional aspirations. I was already monetized outside of YouTube, and continue to seek ways of monetization outside YouTube. YouTube has never been a good way to make money based purely on ad revenue. If you want to make a couple hundred just off ad revenue, you have a very long way to go. Honestly multi-passion channels just don't do that well today on YouTube. The early days were different, but today it's professionals, businesses, niched content or just crazy stuff as @The Jungle Explorer often mentions.

Honestly, if you only want to do a mult-passion channel, just post the videos and be happy.

Last edited:

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Some will appreciate this, others will get mad and throw stones at me for busting the bubble.

With the utmost respect, maybe it's just your bubble is busting? I've looked at your channel several times and wow you have some really great content but you are obviously suffering from a broad focused channel. Maybe years ago it was easier for broad based channels to get noticed and your older videos seem to reflect that, but with over 17k subs.... now your recent videos are getting what... 100-300 views in 3-6 months? (My long play videos get hundreds of views in a matter of days for a month old channel.)

Why are you doing shorts btw? You're already monetized and obviously like most or all of us here, we'll never be shorts monetized. Even if they're just 1 min long videos, I wouldn't make them shorts at all.

but I guarantee you that not a single one of them has more experience than me, or even half as much experience as me.

18 years? wow... again with the utmost respect...looking over your channel as a whole (titles, descriptions, about, etc, etc) you're not even coming close to maximizing your SEO potential imop.

" Welcome. My channel is called Jungle Explorer because of my years of jungle exploration, not because my videos are about the jungle. I am a rugged individualist that loves being independent and doing things my own way. My videos are a reflection of this mentality. They cover a broad variety of subjects, from DIY Projects to Product Reviews. My goal is to make helpful videos that are informative and fun to watch. I am not a professional, but I hope you enjoy them."

I doubt any human or artificial intelligence crawling the above "data" would have a clue what kind of topics to expect on this channel.

You also seem to have the mentality that it's youtube's job to show your videos and make you money. I've been in the software, internet, business for almost 40 years now, yes back when the internet was mainly BBS. Just like it always has been with any business I've been involved with, I fully understand if my channel is going to be successful I'm going to have to put in some substantial time and financial investments to make it happen. There's absolutely no way I would expect to just release videos, decent SEO, etc, and sit back and get 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours...and say Thanks YouTube! lol.. Any successful business man in the 90s on will tell you for most businesses it's 10% product, 90% marketing when it comes to success.

Obviously you had success "back in the day" with YouTube and quite honestly if I was in your position I'd probably quit as well because it sounds like you simply do not want to put in the time or the money needed to continue your business. While your case study is indeed similar to a lot of other channels I've researched it doesn't mean you still can't succeed on YouTube, far from it. I still think I picked the best time ever to start a YouTube channel.

I'm so confused. I can't decide what to do and as a result I just spent the last 3 days frozen instead of working on the next 3 videos which I already had planned.

Stick with your old channel (leave all the old content on the channel!!) and just change the name of the channel (and description) to reflect what you're doing now and make sure each new video stays on topic of your new channel and description. I would limit the amount of diversity in your channel. At the most 1-3 main topics. And then stick to releasing 1-3 videos of each topic in a row. Don't release 3 videos, all 3 with different topics, etc, etc. This allows you to potentially ride "momentum" which is vital imop.

OP
OP
taniaruns

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
Honestly, if you just want to do a mult-passion channel, just post the videos and be happy.

I checked your channel and I love it! I'm not into fishing or lures AT ALL but you have great content and you are engaging and I could watch your videos all day long. It's not a mystery why you're doing so well.

I think youtube treats each video individually. My single time-lapse pops up on the first page of search results of you search for "time lapse garage cleaning" in google. but none of my other videos do. I had started to rebrand my channel as a multi-passion channel but I think I need to change that and rebrand it as a running vlog instead of as a multi-passion. And only put focus on my running vlog which is what I'm most interested in doing even tho I'm still making time-lapse videos on the side.

I dunno... My channel is all over the map. But I have no delusions about what this means for me which is why I'm on the fence about combining my two channels. I know it would be seriously difficult to monetize if it continues to be all over the map. I've already removed almost all my personal home videos from it. I think there are two left. But even the 70's home videos might be going away too and being moved to a different place for family to look at. The thing that fills me with wonder STILL is the fact that a single video from 13 years ago brought in 500k views and 750 subs (now down to 600). And I can't stand today's "clean with me" niche.

Stick with your old channel (leave all the old content on the channel!!) and just change the name of the channel (and description) to reflect what you're doing now and make sure each new video stays on topic of your new channel and description. I would limit the amount of diversity in your channel. At the most 1-3 main topics. And then stick to releasing 1-3 videos of each topic in a row. Don't release 3 videos, all 3 with different topics, etc, etc. This allows you to potentially ride "momentum" which is vital imop.

thank you!!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MediaMan and Damon
OP
OP
taniaruns

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
OK thanks guys!! I've decided to unstuck myself and just make a decision. I'll be uploading my running vlog videos to my old channel. One every other day until I get up to date and then take it from there.

My vlog vids are terrible, btw, and I know this. But somehow, I can still watch them over and over just like the one time-lapse that had traction. I figured if I like it, that's good enough for me. Even if everyone else hates them including youtube's algorithm. lol!

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
With the utmost respect, maybe it's just your bubble is busting? I've looked at your channel several times and wow you have some really great content but you are obviously suffering from a broad focused channel. Maybe years ago it was easier for broad based channels to get noticed and your older videos seem to reflect that, but with over 17k subs.... now your recent videos are getting what... 100-300 views in 3-6 months? (My long play videos get hundreds of views in a matter of days for a month old channel.)

Why are you doing shorts btw? You're already monetized and obviously like most or all of us here, we'll never be shorts monetized. Even if they're just 1 min long videos, I wouldn't make them shorts at all.

18 years? wow... again with the utmost respect...looking over your channel as a whole (titles, descriptions, about, etc, etc) you're not even coming close to maximizing your SEO potential imop.

" Welcome. My channel is called Jungle Explorer because of my years of jungle exploration, not because my videos are about the jungle. I am a rugged individualist that loves being independent and doing things my own way. My videos are a reflection of this mentality. They cover a broad variety of subjects, from DIY Projects to Product Reviews. My goal is to make helpful videos that are informative and fun to watch. I am not a professional, but I hope you enjoy them."

I doubt any human or artificial intelligence crawling the above "data" would have a clue what kind of topics to expect on this channel.

You also seem to have the mentality that it's youtube's job to show your videos and make you money. I've been in the software, internet, business for almost 40 years now, yes back when the internet was mainly BBS. Just like it always has been with any business I've been involved with, I fully understand if my channel is going to be successful I'm going to have to put in some substantial time and financial investments to make it happen. There's absolutely no way I would expect to just release videos, decent SEO, etc, and sit back and get 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours...and say Thanks YouTube! lol.. Any successful business man in the 90s on will tell you for most businesses it's 10% product, 90% marketing when it comes to success.

Obviously you had success "back in the day" with YouTube and quite honestly if I was in your position I'd probably quit as well because it sounds like you simply do not want to put in the time or the money needed to continue your business. While your case study is indeed similar to a lot of other channels I've researched it doesn't mean you still can't succeed on YouTube, far from it. I still think I picked the best time ever to start a YouTube channel.

I could be wrong. But history has proven me right many more times than it has proven me wrong, to all those who questioned me. Most people see what they hope is true. I am a realist and I see what is, even if it is bad for me. I am the one with the most to lose from what I am saying, so you can't claim that I am bias in favor of my own position. The problem is, everyone wants to feed an illusion because the illusion is far more pleasing than the reality. What have said, has been confirmed by YT leadership, so I am doubtful I am wrong. Most people here are still dealing with what YT used to be. I am talking about what it is right now based on statements made by the YT leadership that they have intentionally and deliberately changed how the YT algo works. This is a recent change in direction and this why everyone using their old experience thinks what I am saying is wrong. They are using old, "This is they way things used to work" information to try to say I am wrong about how I am saying "This is the way it works now". I hope and pray that I am wrong and you all are right. Nothing would make me happier.

As far as my channel goes whether I continue or not is a very simple equation. Time + Investment = Reward. The type of content that you watch and thought was good content is very costly to create. It used to be that this kind of content had a chance on YT to earn a reasonable reward over time as EVERGREEN content. That is no longer true. You see, the very point you missed in all of what you said is that I DO HAVE 17K SUBS. What you don't understand about subs on YT is that they are utterly and completely meaningless. Subs do not earn you one red cent. Here is the thing you don't get. I continue to gain 250+ subs every month. I continue to get over 100k views a month. I did not get to where I am at by not "Understanding SEO", so give me a break. What I understand about SEO would overload most people's brains. The problem is that the type of SEO you think matters, doesn't matter anymore. It did in the past, but this is a new day. Things have radically changed. I have explained this in great detail on other threads and I am not going to write it all out again. You can trust that I am not an idiot, or you can dismiss what I say. Matters not to me.

The bottom line is this the type of content that I produced for my channel Jungle Explorer is classified as "One-and-Done" content. My videos provide an answer to a specific question. If you do not have that question, you have no reason to watch the videos on my Jungle Explorer channel. My content is highly educational, but not highly entertaining. In the past, YT valued this kind of content. Today, it is the antithesis of what YT wants. Today YT wants "Binge-worthy Content" not "One-and-Done" content.

Sure, you can upload one-and-done content on YouTube, but you are NEVER going to see a return on your time and investment. I am not saying you cannot make a little, but it will never be worth your while. So, if you have a passion you want to share, HEY, go right ahead and share it. You can get subs, and you can get views, but you will never earn enough to justify making the content. You will make FAR MORE flipping burgers and McDonald's than you ever will with thousands of dollars of equipment and producing professional quality content for YT. This is where the equation I mentioned before comes in; Time+Investment=Reward.

Take my last major video for example, which is the building of a quality chicken coop. I have been offered $2,000 cash for that cop and have a respected real estate agent that sells million-dollar properties weekly say that he could sell as many of them as I can build for $2,000 apiece. The cost of materials to build the coop was $800. The time to build it (if I was not filming) would be around 8 to 10 hours. So effectively, I could build one a day and make $1,200 on each one, equalling and an average of over $100 an hour for my efforts.

Now, let's look at making the video and what my expected return on it is. I shot the video from three different angles with four cameras. Because I filmed every step as an individual scene, it took me almost 40 hours to build the coop. I ended up with over 400 GB of footage, which took over 70 hours of work on Post Production processing to edit and produce the final video. The video has a TB SEO score of 95% with all recommended SEO features completed. The video has 200 views and has earned a whopping $2.46. So the next time you get the wild idea to tell me that I "do not want to put in the time or the money", think twice buddy boy. You have no freaking clue who you are talking to. There is no one who has invested more time and effort than me. No one!

The issue is NOT how much time and money you invest. The issue is not how high of quality your content is. The issue is not how many subs you have. The sole issue is, are you making the kind of content YT wants on their platform? I am not saying what type of content YT will ALLOW on their platform. They will take all the content you can give them, let you work your fingers to the bone, empty your bank account and go into debt trying to make better and better content, and work endless hours on production on SEO. Sure they will take all that. And then they will promote videos made by a teenage girl with a $100 smartphone of herself making funny faces. She will become famous and rich and you will NEVER EVER EVER earn back enough money to justify all your hard work and investment.

What you don't understand is that I don't just have one channel. I have several channels in completely different genres. While I have stopped producing content for JE, I have produced content for my other channels at a rate of one per week. I already have content created for the next year for one of my channels. I do SEO for them and they all score 100% on TB in most cases. I have seen the same exact effect on those channels as I have on JE. So I know that it is not for lack of content or hard work. The problem is the type of content I create for them. Even though it is in different genres, it is all "One-and-Done" style content. Actually, JE is doing better than the channels that I am producing weekly new content for because of its evergreen content. But those channels are monetized in different ways so, they are worth continuing to do.

How many videos did you produce in December? I produced 30, working over 100 hours a week.

OP
OP
taniaruns

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
I'm a huge fan of time-lapse videos. I watched the first 2 minutes of your 30 minutes chicken coop video just now. Here's my unsolicited critique. Granted, I KNOW I don't have your 18 years of experience BUT PLEASE know that I watch a TON of youtube. I have youtube going ALL DAY LONG while I work from home. It's insane.

I think your problem (at least with this one video) is the first 90 seconds. I get bored really really easily and it was hard for me to keep watching after the first 30 seconds. It's not engaging, you say "uh" a lot, you repeat yourself, you stumble on your own words sometimes, and you don't provide any broll footage. That alone might have kept me watching, which would have brought you more revenue. You may have spent a lot on equipment and your personal time putting the rest of that video together, but that first 90 seconds is key. Hell, the first 10 seconds are key. But that was not rehearsed or planned. You winged it, and I felt that.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just trying to provide constructive criticism. Take it or leave it.

That said, I just can't figure out why if you are so over YouTube , do you hang around here discouraging newcomers from ever "wasting their time" making youtube videos. You ALMOST discouraged me. There was a time when I might have quite and not looked back just by your comment alone. thankfully for me (complicated story you don't care about) I have been there done that and I'm over being discouraged easily.

So why burst the bubble for everyone else? You believe what you believe about youtube. Nobody is going to change your mind. But why hang around here ruining the party for others?

Best of luck to you. And I hope you don't give up. You have a lot to offer. You're just discouraged and maybe open yourself up to the constructive critique to make better videos.

Ciao!

• Love
OP
OP
taniaruns

taniaruns

Subscriber Goal
btw, I was also wondering "how the hell can chickens walk on goat fencing? " I saw someone asked that question in the comments. "quite easily" didn't quite put the picture in my head how that works. Maybe show footage of chickens in there at the start of the vid? just a suggestion.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
What you don't understand about subs on YT is that they are utterly and completely meaningless.

My goal is 1000 subs asap, anything above that I could care less. But when a channel has 17k subs and apparently 250 new subs per month and a new video is only getting a few 100 views in several months... there is something wrong. You may be getting bot'd a lot or your new content just isn't what your active based is interested in. Or possibly you're not driving views to your channel.

Today YT wants "Binge-worthy Content" not "One-and-Done" content.

I could care less what YouTube wants. From day one I never "expected" YouTube to deliver any views to my videos. Hell...maybe I'm wrong but I'm looking at YouTube as nothing more than another digital app store or perhaps a TV network that I don't have to pay to be on. Even though I've retired from software development, I still have apps in the various app stores and it's basically no different there. You get very little organic reach and you have to do whatever it takes to drive installs to your app, and in this case drive views to your channel.

Sure, you can upload one-and-done content on YouTube, but you are NEVER going to see a return on your time and investment. I am not saying you cannot make a little, but it will never be worth your while. So, if you have a passion you want to share, HEY, go right ahead and share it. You can get subs, and you can get views, but you will never earn enough to justify making the content. You will make FAR MORE flipping burgers and McDonald's than you ever will with thousands of dollars of equipment and producing professional quality content for YT. This is where the equation I mentioned before comes in; Time+Investment=Reward.

I think for the "uplaod it and forget it" types you're right. But for those with a bit of business sense, there is plenty of opprotunity.

Take my last major video for example, which is the building of a quality chicken coop. .... I ended up with over 400 GB of footage, which took over 70 hours of work on Post Production processing to edit and produce the final video. The video has a TB SEO score of 95% with all recommended SEO features completed. The video has 200 views and has earned a whopping $2.46.

I'm going to assume a person with your experience took the time to research potential interest in such a project before starting it, so my only question is how are you driving views to this particular video?

So the next time you get the wild idea to tell me that I "do not want to put in the time or the money", think twice buddy boy. You have no freaking clue who you are talking to. There is no one who has invested more time and effort than me. No one!

I've had conversations with other content creators in your similar position and mindset. Which is they were doing well back when all they needed to do is upload a video. The old "if you build it, they will come" mindset. Obviously you can still get views/subs with that mindset, but the time/expense needed to make each video is probably a lot more important to consider now days. When I say "money" I also mean after the video is released. Surely in 2023 and moving forward serious content creators can't expect to just upload a video and sit back and wait for the $ to roll in.

And then they will promote videos made by a teenage girl with a $100 smartphone of herself making funny faces. She will become famous and rich and you will NEVER EVER EVER earn back enough money to justify all your hard work and investment.

As I've said before, creating a channel from the start with the goal of making money is different and perhaps easier than creating a channel just because you love doing something and then trying to monetize it later on. Some channels hire models to produce scripted videos, nothing wrong with that. To them it's a business and hiring models is an expense. You don't think every one of those viral videos are just impulsive moments taken by uneducated teens do you?

The problem is the type of content I create for them. Even though it is in different genres, it is all "One-and-Done" style content. Actually, JE is doing better than the channels that I am producing weekly new content for because of its evergreen content. But those channels are monetized in different ways so, they are worth continuing to do.

Yah, more than ever for the business savvy types, there are plenty of ways to monetize your channel.

How many videos did you produce in December? I produced 30, working over 100 hours a week.

In my 2 month old (narrow focused channel) I have 54 videos, in my 4 month old (broad based channel) I have 82 videos. I'm self employed so I work 24/7. ;) lol...

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I think your problem (at least with this one video) is the first 90 seconds.

And who produces video without stabilization now days? That footage was way too shaky, almost nausea inducing. Almost any decent phone or camera now days has built in stabilization.

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
I know what you said actually TRUE. YouTube wants you to make binge worthy content. But, I am alright with that. GFX Mentor, and other graphic designers make tutorials and they earn millions of views. There hard work pays off. So, I will stick to my niche, and I also post other videos like Men Fashion. Whatever it takes to make binge worthy videos too.

BlueChis

youtube isn't the only platform trying to tiktokify and join in on that success. facebook and instagram have done the same. Annoyingly. tiktok is successful because it engages people's attention like nothing else. but tiktok and youtube are like apple and oranges. IMO, tiktok is like heroine and youtube is a full meal with sides and dessert. There's fried foods too, but at least you have a choice.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your assessment that youtube is dying. I've recently discovered many youtubers who only started 1 or 2 years ago and are doing really well. They are the only reason I would even have hope that I could be monetized. Their videos are far from blingy. They have a lot to learn about making videos, but I'm engaged 100% because they are just real people sharing their life. If i wasn't hooked on their channels, I'd never even think I'd have a chance on building a community myself. I think people want authentic connection with others. You can see that based on their comments. I'm even seeing vlogs from korea and japan now on subject matter I find interesting. Youtube has always been good at showing me what I want to see. If I'm searching for instructions for something I also get the small channels that are sometimes hard to watch because the videos are so bad.

Channels like. Mr. beast or any of the other shock and awe channels just don't interest me at all. Only my 8 year old son is into that. There's something for everyone, imo. But you gotta play the seo game. and as a youtuber they need to make better videos. I only have 4 vlog videos out and I know they are terrible so I was shocked to see 3 likes.

I looked thru your channel real quick and maybe the most recent videos are lacking but your older ones look engaging and 18k views on one video is amazing. And I would kill to have 17k subs.

I'm not looking for emma chamberland level success, but her videos are proof that you don't need bling to succeed. You just need to be real and have an entertaining personality if your niche is vlogging.

I recently found nomadic introvert. Just a woman living in her van and she's got 100k+ subs now. why? I still don't know why because her videos aren't the best and she repeats herself a lot which I find annoying, but I'm still hooked. I'm just hoping a few people find my annoying az addicting too. lol

If I can make a couple hundred a month, that'd be just awesome. I already have a career so I'm not looking for money to live on.

As for my original question here.. I haven't had a single person answer it no matter where I post the question. Maybe it's because nobody knows. I'll just go with my gutt I guess.
OMG right!!! Nomadic Introvert is the absolute worst channel yet it has hundreds of thousands of subscribers. All the subscribers are gushing over the channel and I do not get it at all.