• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review How Can I Improve?

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
User name: Yours Truly
Title of thread: How Can I Improve?
Self review: I've been trying my hardest to grow my channel and create good videos, but I'm not seeing very many improvements in subscribers or views. My view count is very low on videos that I expect a lot of views on. I've niched down quite a bit, so I dont know why ppl arent finding my channel or watching. Is the quality of my videos too low? Am I doing something wrong? I'm getting discouraged.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvKCQemyOWwKOl2vzRme_aQ
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/47124/post-149109

Reactions: PanggilSajaJon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Fwiw... I'm relatively new to YouTube but due to working full time on my channels I'm able to get up to speed with how things work fairly quickly and one thing I've realized is, the YouTube of 2022 and moving forward is not the same YouTube of 2021 and older. Channels with multiple subjects (broad focused channels) like yours take a lot.....longer to grow due to the algorithm perhaps having a hard time determining who your audience is. So you might see a pattern of...for every video that does decent several others seem to not gain any traction at all. Case in point, I have 2 main channels I'm working on. One is very broad based, the other is a narrow focused channel on one subject. My single focused channel in 2 weeks has more subs than my broad focused channel which has been active for several months. To help grow broad based channels the recommended path that I think makes the most sense is to first establish what your channel's 3 main topics of interest are. And then focus on 1 of those topics with a series of videos, then do the same with the next 2 topics. The idea is to establish "momentum" and then ride that momentum for a while with each topic. And then long term focusing 80-90% of your channel with just those 3 main topics and then occasionally releasing content than doesn't fall under those 3 main topics.

Now.....there's also one more possibility for you to consider......
"My name is Emily and I am a young adult from Texas!"

Make the channel a lot more personal....about you. Right now there is very little content about you personally so the emotional attachment is void, this ultimately makes it easier to create content because there is no "putting yourself out there" so to speak, but you end up with a site that relies on subject matter only and we've already touched based on that. If I was your channel coach, I'd say start talking more about you, your life, your goals, etc, trials and tribulations of being a young adult women in today's world, etc, etc. Maybe every video first give an update about "you" and then introduce the rest of the video......something like "wow...I had a blind date today than was insane...some of ya'll are crazy...stick around after the update as I go Walmart shopping during black Friday." Sorry if that was a bit cringe..but you get the idea. ;)

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
I've watched a couple of your videos and understand ware you're going with the tiny house trend. That seems to be a trend right now so you could go far with this type if you keep it up. As far as the number of views, I'm starting out too and would love to be seeing a lot more then I do. What I've learned is just to enjoy the process of creating and not worry about going too fast. I've even paid Fiverr gigs to do the optimization, but that's not something I'd recommend unless you have the budget for that. The main thing is don't be discouraged. If you really enjoy the process, that's what's important.

Reactions: Rpm and Yours Truly

4a6f62

Hello there, I watched a couple of your videos and my advice would be to use a tripos instead of holding the camera most of the time and maybe get a microphone for better audio quality. I'm just starting out myself so I'm not in anyway an expert, my main advice is not doing it for the subs, views or the money... do it got you, enjoy the process and just get a little bit better at it each video.

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello there, I watched a couple of your videos and my advice would be to use a tripos instead of holding the camera most of the time and maybe get a microphone for better audio quality. I'm just starting out myself so I'm not in anyway an expert, my main advice is not doing it for the subs, views or the money... do it got you, enjoy the process and just get a little bit better at it each video.
Great advice on the tripod. Seemed like her audio could benefit from a good microphone.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Just a drive by observation, I looked at the first 4 rows of your video thumbnails and basically none of them caused an initial reaction to want to watch a video. fwiw...(maybe not much...lol..) but have you considered taking on a persona, a host that looks the part so to speak? Maybe makeup like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc, every few days change up the look to keep it fresh, etc, etc. You don't look very scary, so those rather bland thumbs just look like "some guy" in a thumbnail.

lonelytalks

Recognized Member
Just from my observation, some of them are already pin pointed by others. Catchy thumbnails and a hook up during introduction and a reason why people want to subscribe to your channel are considered important for a new channel. Also add good description for every video. Make sure to write a script and revise it before shooting video which is going to help you in improving and getting quality content to your video.

4a6f62

Just a drive by observation, I looked at the first 4 rows of your video thumbnails and basically none of them caused an initial reaction to want to watch a video. fwiw...(maybe not much...lol..) but have you considered taking on a persona, a host that looks the part so to speak? Maybe makeup like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc, every few days change up the look to keep it fresh, etc, etc. You don't look very scary, so those rather bland thumbs just look like "some guy" in a thumbnail.
I'm confused, this same like feedback on my channel, but it's in the Yours Truly thread?

Thanks for the feedback

• Haha
Reactions: MediaMan

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I couldn't find any "yours truly" thread. Maybe I double posted or looked at something twice and posted similar content. lol.. Getting old sucks, but give me a link to what I did (again..) so I can perhaps chuckle at myself. lol.. Thx!

• Haha
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

bibilicious

Subscriber Goal
User name: Yours Truly
Title of thread: How Can I Improve?
Self review: I've been trying my hardest to grow my channel and create good videos, but I'm not seeing very many improvements in subscribers or views. My view count is very low on videos that I expect a lot of views on. I've niched down quite a bit, so I dont know why ppl arent finding my channel or watching. Is the quality of my videos too low? Am I doing something wrong? I'm getting discouraged.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvKCQemyOWwKOl2vzRme_aQ
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/47124/post-149109
I am currently watching as Bibilicious food and lifestyle. I think you should reduce the duration of your video, make it short. Your recent video title is too long and i feel your camera should be closed to the food so we could see what you are adding. Just be consistent and do not be discouraged. We will get there

Reactions: Yours Truly

John316

Recognized Member
May I say too that thumnails are the FIRST thing people see and now days EVERYONE is on their phones! I noticed that you have LOTS of text in your thumbnails. And, the text you are using are the fancier swirly type fonts that when you look at them on a cell phone are IMPOSSIBLE to read so that may be a BIG reason why people are passing right by your videos!. So, my 2 cents is, believe it or not, take ALL the text out of yout thumbnails and use graphics and pictures to give the viwer a 'Hint' of what they will find in the video. Create some mystery, curiosity via the picture and artwork you use. The let the TITLE of your video do the talking for you and limit the number of characters of your title to the number of characters that can be displayed on a cell phone screen when people are searching through videos! If you put too much text and the text you put is too small or too hard to read, people will pass right by your video!

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
May I say too that thumnails are the FIRST thing people see and now days EVERYONE is on their phones! I noticed that you have LOTS of text in your thumbnails. And, the text you are using are the fancier swirly type fonts that when you look at them on a cell phone are IMPOSSIBLE to read so that may be a BIG reason why people are passing right by your videos!. So, my 2 cents is, believe it or not, take ALL the text out of yout thumbnails and use graphics and pictures to give the viwer a 'Hint' of what they will find in the video. Create some mystery, curiosity via the picture and artwork you use.
That was helpful advice. I've thought about experimenting with that before. Mine seems to be passed up a lot despite how much effort I put into them. I'll try your suggestion.

John316

Recognized Member
That was helpful advice. I've thought about experimenting with that before. Mine seems to be passed up a lot despite how much effort I put into them. I'll try your suggestion.
Good! Here is another idea. Make a sexond channwl just for the purpose of testing your thumbnails and titles to see how they look. On this second channel you could care less about stats, watch time or clicks! post your thumbnails and titles to see how they look in search BEFORE you put them on your actual channel to be sure they look right, you can see everything on the thumbnail clearly on the cell phone and that the title is short enough to be properly visible on a cell phone.

See this video about titles: Video about importance of short video titles

Reactions: Rpm

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
As some people have mentioned already your thumbnails could do with sprucing up .
Its not as easy as it sounds and always a learning curve I think.
I had and still have a similar problem with my horror story channel , I'd have a lot of text letting viewers know what stories were in the videos as they're rarely themed (i.e one has a cursed doll and a woman trying to escape after being buried alive - twice very different stories)
The images were overtook with way too much text so I limited my text and try to keep to around 3-4 words , I'm still working on them but I think it may have helped gain a few views .
Your font is for me too fancy and twirly , I struggled to make out what some of them said whilst skimming through and this is what viewers will do , they will scroll through (mostly on their phone no doubt) so if they struggle to see a what it says they must scroll past .
I'd concentrate on making a bright vivid image with minimal text plus text font thats more straightforward.
Hope you see more improvements soon and keep at it , have some patience and who knows it may take off .
Good luck , may the force be with you

Reactions: Rpm

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
May I say too that thumnails are the FIRST thing people see and now days EVERYONE is on their phones! I noticed that you have LOTS of text in your thumbnails. And, the text you are using are the fancier swirly type fonts that when you look at them on a cell phone are IMPOSSIBLE to read so that may be a BIG reason why people are passing right by your videos!. So, my 2 cents is, believe it or not, take ALL the text out of yout thumbnails and use graphics and pictures to give the viwer a 'Hint' of what they will find in the video. Create some mystery, curiosity via the picture and artwork you use. The let the TITLE of your video do the talking for you and limit the number of characters of your title to the number of characters that can be displayed on a cell phone screen when people are searching through videos! If you put too much text and the text you put is too small or too hard to read, people will pass right by your video!

100% agree with you here as that was my impression as well. Optimise your thumbnail texts and send them through the A/B TEST function on TB and watch what the stats throw back at you. You'll be amazed as I am when I'm doing them for myself!

Rpm

Good! Here is another idea. Make a sexond channwl just for the purpose of testing your thumbnails and titles to see how they look. On this second channel you could care less about stats, watch time or clicks! post your thumbnails and titles to see how they look in search BEFORE you put them on your actual channel to be sure they look right, you can see everything on the thumbnail clearly on the cell phone and that the title is short enough to be properly visible on a cell phone.

See this video about titles: Video about importance of short video titles
Im a returning creator, but im interesting about this tips.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck