• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Social Media Creative Independence in the Age of Algorithms.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
It's funny you should post about Patreon. It is a good piece. While I love YT, I don't think it is wise for me to grow my entire presence and monetization on YT. It is certainly more convenient but YT takes a much bigger chunk on memberships and it puts me in a more vulnerable position if something were to happen.

No question that we have to take responsibility for our own destinies.

I am not particularly fond of TikTok or Instagram but I definitely feel I should have at least a small toehold (just in case things change).

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I read it. It makes some good points, but all I hear is, "Work harder" I mean, it is hard enough to make good content for one platform, but their main suggestion is to become a creator for multiple platforms. Even if you use the same piece of content, you still have to customize it to each platform, and that takes time and work. Instead of the old mentality of, "Carve out your niche," it is now, "Try Everything."

They are right about not trusting the platforms. YouTube is flat killing us right now. In a recent article I read, it said that 45% of the ad revenue YouTube is paying out is going to shorts creators, while they have only started running ads on shorts in the last quarter. What this means is that YT is using the revenue that long-form content creators are bringing in, to dump money on Shorts creators that are bringing nothing in. I saw my earnings crash in September, down over 70%, while my views and watch time remained the same. And I have produced a video every single week this year. All the same style, and the same genre, all the same quality of production. So, where did my earnings go? Since the only factor that has changed was my earnings, it has to be that YT's algorithm decided to pay me less. Sure, things can go up and down, but a drop of 70% in a single week, that can only happen if YT does it.

Patreon is right about the platforms willing to kill its creators in their experimentation with new ideas. We have to diversify. But the real question is, how do we diversify and make it pay us for our time and effort? There are plenty of platforms that are willing to gobble up all the content you can throw at them, but are they willing to PAY you for your content? Well, some might say, "They only need to pay you according to how your content performs", but the truth is; How our content performs is completely in their control, not ours. You can have the best piece of content on earth, but if the algorithm is not suggesting it, it will do nothing. Some might then say, "The algorithms suggest what people want." To that, I say, BULLCRAP! I hardly EVER get recommended anything that I am interested in. In fact, most of what is recommended to me by YT, IG, Twitter, and TikTok, is so polar opposite of what I like; in most cases, I end up blocking or reporting it.

The platforms could care less about what you want to see. They will PUSH at you what they THINK you should want to see. What they think you should want to see is governed by the viewing habits of brain-dead content crack junkies that watch endless amounts of useless, mind-numbing gobbledygook. The algo thinks, "Hey, this content is really popular because all these GenZer teens are watching it millions of times, so this Senior adult male should want to watch it too." Or the algo thinks, "Here is some new extreme LGBT content. Hey, I bet this conservative Christian pastor will want to watch this." Don't tell me the platforms are serving you what you want. They are pushing the content THEY want to promote. They could care less what you want to see.

Honestly, I disagree with Patreon that the next ten years are going to be great for creators. Well, not for creators of useful quality content. Sure, there always be a demand for useless gobbledegook content, and the person who acts the craziest and stupidest will find fame among crack-content junkies. But for creators that actually want to offer something of value to an audience, well, we will be trampled in the stampede of lemmings, rushing to jump off the cliff of stupidity, chasing useless, brain-dead, entertainment.

Yes, I am in a bad mood right now and venting. Doesn't mean I am wrong.

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I read it. It makes some good points, but all I hear is, "Work harder" I mean, it is hard enough to make good content for one platform, but their main suggestion is to become a creator for multiple platforms. Even if you use the same piece of content, you still have to customize it to each platform, and that takes time and work. Instead of the old mentality of, "Carve out your niche," it is now, "Try Everything."

They are right about not trusting the platforms. YouTube is flat killing us right now. In a recent article I read, it said that 45% of the ad revenue YouTube is paying out is going to shorts creators, while they have only started running ads on shorts in the last quarter. What this means is that YT is using the revenue that long-form content creators are bringing in, to dump money on Shorts creators that are bringing nothing in. I saw my earnings crash in September, down over 70%, while my views and watch time remained the same. And I have produced a video every single week this year. All the same style, and the same genre, all the same quality of production. So, where did my earnings go? Since the only factor that has changed was my earnings, it has to be that YT's algorithm decided to pay me less. Sure, things can go up and down, but a drop of 70% in a single week, that can only happen if YT does it.

Patreon is right about the platforms willing to kill its creators in their experimentation with new ideas. We have to diversify. But the real question is, how do we diversify and make it pay us for our time and effort? There are plenty of platforms that are willing to gobble up all the content you can throw at them, but are they willing to PAY you for your content? Well, some might say, "They only need to pay you according to how your content performs", but the truth is; How our content performs is completely in their control, not ours. You can have the best piece of content on earth, but if the algorithm is not suggesting it, it will do nothing. Some might then say, "The algorithms suggest what people want." To that, I say, BULLCRAP! I hardly EVER get recommended anything that I am interested in. In fact, most of what is recommended to me by YT, IG, Twitter, and TikTok, is so polar opposite of what I like; in most cases, I end up blocking or reporting it.

The platforms could care less about what you want to see. They will PUSH at you what they THINK you should want to see. What they think you should want to see is governed by the viewing habits of brain-dead content crack junkies that watch endless amounts of useless, mind-numbing gobbledygook. The algo thinks, "Hey, this content is really popular because all these GenZer teens are watching it millions of times, so this Senior adult male should want to watch it too." Or the algo thinks, "Here is some new extreme LGBT content. Hey, I bet this conservative Christian pastor will want to watch this." Don't tell me the platforms are serving you what you want. They are pushing the content THEY want to promote. They could care less what you want to see.

Honestly, I disagree with Patreon that the next ten years are going to be great for creators. Well, not for creators of useful quality content. Sure, there always be a demand for useless gobbledegook content, and the person who acts the craziest and stupidest will find fame among crack-content junkies. But for creators that actually want to offer something of value to an audience, well, we will be trampled in the stampede of lemmings, rushing to jump off the cliff of stupidity, chasing useless, brain-dead, entertainment.

I certainly believe that "working harder" is not enough as a creator. You plateau out or you only get incremental growth if we just grind out the same thing. I believe have to be "smarter" and be more "creative" otherwise the grinding is pointless. But that clearly that means something very different for every person. Each genre is also very different.

I think (for me) I have to keep experimenting to learn and get insights. For example, in January, I am going on a 7-day cruise with my fiance. However, it is a working cruise for me (tax deductible). I am going to write scripts and ideas in preparation for that. I am going to collect a lot of footage and perhaps do a few livestreams for my audience. How that will hook or connect to my existing channel, I haven't figured out yet but I am trying something radically different simply because the opportunity is there. I have to make the most of it.

There is no question being a creator is highly risky and oversold. It is much more glamorous on the outside but a lot of solitary work that few people understand. Younger people have low overhead, fewer family commitments, and other encumbrances. They can take HUGE risks with their time and do crazy things. A lot of them don't care much about the money, they want the recognition of high numbers which is why TT and Shorts are so attractive to them.

For how I want to live and the lifestyle that I am working for us as a couple, I am forced down a few different paths. I gotta get good and comfortable on video regardless of the actual numbers. Video is the ultimate leverage of reaching customers and communicating on a large scale. The only way I can get really good is to just keep practicing even if my numbers are crap.

I've tried Shorts quite a bit (and will still do them occasionally) but my heart is just not in it. I do it for the practice. My heart lies in traditional long-form videos because of the type of people I want. I want people who have longer attention spans and want to spend time with me than just 30-seconds.

I have my moods too. Sometimes I am in a good mood, other times I am frustrated. I just stay the course.