• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips TIPS ON HOW TO IMPROVE VIEWS OF MY OLD YOUTUBE VIDEOS

Dave's Fit Life

davekanyan.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi there! Anyone have some tips on how I can improve the views of my old YOUTUBE videos? I have over a hundred videos on my channel that I have been uploading since 2018. Now I plan to promote my old videos and hope to get additional views. I think I might edit and change the titles and descriptions and put latest and trendy keywords in it. Will this help the video to get notice by Youtube, and re-suggest it again, and improve its rank? How's that? Any advice? I would appreciate getting replies from you. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This will cause you to get re-indexed, yes. And it is a good practice to get in to. Personally I always have older, underperforming videos that I am reworking. Some are reaching the 2 year mark and I am still testing new titles/thumbnails etc. Sometimes this works... sometimes it works real good. When that happens I move on to a different underperforming video and continue the trend.

QuetoOfTheDay(MG)

Hiii. Help me please, I have creat a YouTube channel and I don't know more where I start my YouTube channel...so help me how I grow YouTube channel, @mgshortscreator786

Prince Prodigal

TubeBuddy Star
dot.cards
Subscriber Goal
I would recommend changing the thumbnails and modifying the titles. From my experience, this puts an older video into a sort of phase where YouTube will start serving it to potential viewers due to the change in the metadata which may lead to a higher click-through rate.
great advice!

Reactions: Xavier De Buck
OP
OP
Dave's Fit Life

Dave's Fit Life

davekanyan.com
Subscriber Goal
This will cause you to get re-indexed, yes. And it is a good practice to get in to. Personally I always have older, underperforming videos that I am reworking. Some are reaching the 2 year mark and I am still testing new titles/thumbnails etc. Sometimes this works... sometimes it works real good. When that happens I move on to a different underperforming video and continue the trend.

You wrote "I am still testing new titles/thumbnails etc. Sometimes this works... sometimes it works real good. "
What might be part of the etc if there is anything? Can the actual video itself be edited in anyway without losing it's numbers and doing damage to that videos numbers and all that?

lonelytalks

Recognized Member
I had the same question in mind. My dad Youtube channel is few years old, although his new videos are performing well I was think whether changing title will work or not? Now I know it actually works so I'm gonna give a try and see if that works and I can implement it on my channel in future. Thanks for all the suggestions too.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Great question, Dave.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of TB's A/B TEST functionality - I used to only do thumbnail tests, and ever since I've started trying out the different title tests, I'm hooked there as well - so, EVERY VIDEO I publish undergoes a bunch of tests to see which one(s) perform better. Once the better thumbnail (I sometimes do 3-4) gets chosen by the audience, I move on to different titles to see which one sticks with the audience (interesting to see that the previously-selected 'winning titles' on one video don't necessarily do well on another - go figure!).

On a side note:

ΓÇ£You never get a second chance to make a first impression.ΓÇ¥ΓÇö Andrew Grant.

Keeping the above in mind, I have a reminder set every 3 months to review a handful of my lowest-performing long-form videos where I check click-through rate, average view duration, audience retention, how many subs I get from a particular video, etc.

IF those stats on the video keep underperforming vs my channel average, I unlist the video. If they're doing okay, AND it turns out that I haven't done my A/B TEST mentioned above on them (as the videos were published before I had TB), I'm doing the above pic/title tests. Once I've improved them, I let them do their thing, and hope not to run into them at the next reminder, which will mean they still couldn't perform despite my best efforts & they'll be removed.

I recon if someone completely new to my channel arrives at a piece of my content, AND gets one of those underperforming videos, s/he might be turned off by it for whatever reason, leave, and unlikely to return. Now, if that video DOES leave an impression (resulting in a like/share/comment/subscribe), that piece of content has done what I like it to do.

BTW - I'm not sure if it was always there, BUT I just recently found out you can do this A/B TESTING with YT Shorts as well... so there, I have started with my TOP performing YT Shorts and doing tests on their titles to see if a different title will see an even better performance. During my 3-month reminder exercise, I've added optimising a number of YT Shorts to that list which might perhaps need a boost via different titles.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: