• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Other Social Media Online bullying?! Why? What would you do?

Lupus_sensei

TubeBuddy Pro
www.lupus-sensei.com
Subscriber Goal
Someone tag my youtube channel in his youtube video (it's just a random time lapse video showing his face on the camera).
He demand me and few other youtubers to delete our channel.
I personally don't know him, he only started to mocking and telling on a discord channel where I promoting my video (like many others youtubers did there).
The discord channel is for youtube video promote after all.

Anyway, I just report it to youtube as online harassment and ignores it. Don't even want to give him a satisfaction by respond to him verbally.
I attached the screenshot of his video description that tagging me and some other youtubers. I mozaic his pic and name coz I don't want to be on the same level with him by spreading his account details.

I just want to ask few questions to others youtubers, so consider this as a discussion topic.

1. Is this kind of online bullying that demand people to delete their channel happen frequently?
2. What the motive?
3. What would you do in my situation?

Attachments

• online bullying sc1.jpg
    online bullying sc1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Wow
Reactions: Damon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
This activity is common and typically happens when other channels feel threatened competitively so they stupidly attack your channel in various ways, reviews, thumbs down, etc, etc. So far it seems relatively harmless, but I would just keep documenting everything and maybe once a month send an email off to youtube with a digest of what he is doing. It's when they start attacking your personal sites that it gets a bit more concerning. Once they find out personal information, social links, your address, emails, phone numbers, etc, that's when you have to kick things up a notch and decide on a course of action. That's why it's usually recommended to 100% never respond socially or privately to these online attacks.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
People have a right to voice their opinions, so it isn't a surprise that YouTube is being hesitant to intervene. Unless they actually make racist/sexist/violent comments YouTube usually will stay out of situations like this. but they do happen, and you need to be prepared for that. Bullying does happen. The motives will differ; I am not sure what server you were posting on but generally speaking it is rude to simply post your videos around various servers, forums, threads etc without actually being an active member of that space. This does get under the skin of those who are active and see you as simply spamming your videos without providing much value. That isn't an excuse for bullying, but it is something that you should be respectful of.
I have dealt with very similar situations, in fact I was recently chewed out for posting a video to a fishing forum that I am a member of (I do a fishing channel on YouTube). I posted my video to a forum I have been a member of for many years, and a user who signed up less than a year ago put a very rude comment on a recent post about how I was spamming my YouTube videos in the forum. The difference between your situation and mine was that I was a valued member of the forum. I had made friends and contributed to other threads and posts. When he attacked me about sixty other members started jumping on him for being a troll; I didn't even have to defend myself.

OP
OP
Lupus_sensei

Lupus_sensei

TubeBuddy Pro
www.lupus-sensei.com
Subscriber Goal
People have a right to voice their opinions, so it isn't a surprise that YouTube is being hesitant to intervene. Unless they actually make racist/sexist/violent comments YouTube usually will stay out of situations like this. but they do happen, and you need to be prepared for that. Bullying does happen. The motives will differ; I am not sure what server you were posting on but generally speaking it is rude to simply post your videos around various servers, forums, threads etc without actually being an active member of that space. This does get under the skin of those who are active and see you as simply spamming your videos without providing much value. That isn't an excuse for bullying, but it is something that you should be respectful of.
I have dealt with very similar situations, in fact I was recently chewed out for posting a video to a fishing forum that I am a member of (I do a fishing channel on YouTube). I posted my video to a forum I have been a member of for many years, and a user who signed up less than a year ago put a very rude comment on a recent post about how I was spamming my YouTube videos in the forum. The difference between your situation and mine was that I was a valued member of the forum. I had made friends and contributed to other threads and posts. When he attacked me about sixty other members started jumping on him for being a troll; I didn't even have to defend myself.

I see, thanks.
I appreciate your input and experience sharing.

Just for information... the discord server where i posted my video is specially for posting youtube game video (so its a designated channel). Many other youtubers also posting there, so I am not the only one.
I also tried to be active there, communicating, commenting, responding etc.... only post different video link once a while (not everyday).