• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News BREAKING: YouTube Shorts Monetization Early Announcement for 2023!

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Here are the top points being announced for 2023:

YPP eligible with 1,000 subscribers and 10 million views in the last 90 days (yikes!).

45% Ad revenue share for creators.

Super Thanks coming to Shorts.

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Wow! 10 million views in 90 days? Are you freaking kidding me? I see the end of YouTube on the horizon. YouTube is chasing TikTok instead of leading, and TikTok is wiping the floor with YT. I hate to say this, but we have a bunch of monkeys at the helm at YT. This kind of ridiculousness is just evidence of this.

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yes! One of the worst update I have seen so far from YouTube!

I mean, I really appreciate them letting creators use the copyright music or other music on their shorts video or maybe even on their longer ones and 9% (IG), of the total revenue will be given to the original authors and ads on shorts! but when it comes to those creators out there who are not into shorts but instead who are actually into the longer videos, man, it's still the same.

I was hoping they would tweak or make the public watch hours requirement less but rather they just made it even more worst! I mean, it's good for those creators out there who are totally into shorts and who're gaining at least 50k views or even 100k views per shorts video but for the small creators out there, it's kind of a bit impossible for them to reach 10 mils in last 90 days and let's not forget subscriber requirement is still same.

I mean, I have been grinding for like last two years and am still having a hard time reaching 4k watch hours due to the last 365 days thing, am currently around 2.8k and just need a bit final more push but you see what am saying? They should have reduced the watch hours at least.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The announcement was clearly directed to Shorts creators and helping them out. But long-form YPP members who incorporate Shorts in their repertoire get some ancillary benefits.

However, outside of this announcement, there are nice minor updates such as separating the long-form and shorts into different viewing categories. I am hopeful one day there will be thumbnail capabilities for Shorts.

I am still not a big fan of Shorts but it does have a place.

• Love
Reactions: Moochy and Damon
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I mean, I have been grinding for like last two years and am still having a hard time reaching 4k watch hours due to the last 365 days thing, am currently around 2.8k and just need a bit final more push but you see what am saying? They should have reduced the watch hours at least.

Hi Nody,

I think that anyone in the gaming space is going to have a much tougher time than other genres to get the 4K hours. It is the nature of the audience and the sheer saturation of the gaming space makes it very difficult. Obviously, it can be done because there are many gaming channels who crossover but I think there are many will not cross over.

Having said that, being at 2.5K hours is something to build on. And with your subscriber base growing past 1,000 subscribers, I believe you will eventually get there.

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
The announcement was clearly directed to Shorts creators and helping them out. But long-form YPP members who incorporate Shorts in their repertoire get some ancillary benefits.

However, outside of this announcement, there are nice minor updates such as separating the long-form and shorts into different viewing categories. I am hopeful one day there will be thumbnail capabilities for Shorts.

I am still not a big fan of Shorts but it does have a place.

Ever since YT started this whole Shorts thing, they abandoned long-form content creators completely. Everything I see them talk about is "Shorts, Shorts, Shorts". Is there a place for Shorts? Of course, but the reason TikTok is so good at it boils down to one thing, their freaking AWESOME APP! The YT creator app is an absolute joke. I mean joke does not even come close to how bad YT's apps are.
I hate TikTok, but TikTok gives an app away that offers professional-level editing capabilities. Their app was designed by geniuses that made it the most drop-dead user-friendly app on earth to make an amazing video with. YT could do something like this, but they sit on their butts hoping that if they throw enough money in the air, they will somehow get people to love making Shorts. Now TT is moving into long-form content and starting to dominate that domain as well, while YT does idiotic things like say, "Hey, morons! If you can get 10 million views in three months, we will let you earn 45% of ad revenue." The trick here is that 45% of Zero is Zero. 45% does not mean anything.

TikTok is going to kill YT if the YT staff does not get their heads unstuck out of their posteriors. They have grown used to coasting off of their former fame as the leader and throwing bones at creators. There is real competition in the streaming video market now, and the competition has pulled out all the stops to take YT down.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Ever since YT started this whole Shorts thing, they abandoned long-form content creators completely. Everything I see them talk about is "Shorts, Shorts, Shorts". Is there a place for Shorts? Of course, but the reason TikTok is so good at it boils down to one thing, their freaking AWESOME APP! The YT creator app is an absolute joke. I mean joke does not even come close to how bad YT's apps are.
I hate TikTok, but TikTok gives an app away that offers professional-level editing capabilities. Their app was designed by geniuses that made it the most drop-dead user-friendly app on earth to make an amazing video with. YT could do something like this, but they sit on their butts hoping that if they throw enough money in the air, they will someone get people to love making Shorts. Now TT is moving into long-form content and starting to dominate that domain as well, while YT does idiotic things like say, "Hey, morons! If you can get 10 million views in three months, we will let you earn 45% of ad revenue." The trick here is that 45% of Zero is Zero. 45% does not mean anything.

TikTok is going to kill YT if the YT staff does not get their heads unstuck out of their posteriors. They have grown used to coasting off of their former fame as the leader and throwing bones at creators. There is real competition in the streaming video market now, and the competition has pulled out all the stops to take YT down.

You got a lot in there.

1. Shorts certainly does have a disproportionate amount of attention due to the intense competition with TT.

2. I have the TT app and have heard it is awesome to create videos with. But I still edit and create videos old school with desktop editor. But I know I am probably not the target creator.

3. For me, I gasped at the 10 million views in 90 days. I am not sure I could do 10 million views in one year! However, the 4K watch hours and 1K subscriber seemed much more attainable to me than the new " YPP opportunity". And yes, I believe there will be creators who pursue and not ever make it. But it could be I just don't care enough about Shorts to envision that in my mind.

Reactions: Nothin' But Gadgets

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
3. For me, I gasped at the 10 million views in 90 days. I am not sure I could do 10 million views in one year! However, the 4K watch hours and 1K subscriber seemed much more attainable to me than the new " YPP opportunity". And yes, I believe there will be creators who pursue and not ever make it. But it could be I just don't care enough about Shorts to envision that in my mind.

Totally agree. As I said, I hate TikTok, but I have looked at their APP, and it is ridiculously better than anything YT has. I to still do all my editing on PC for the express reason, because YT's app is so awful for creating content. Anyone, even a novice, can download and use the TikTok app to make a video without learning. You can even download your TikTok videos after you create them and use them elsewhere. Do you have any clue how impossible it is to download your own freaking YT video from your own dang account on YT? This can only be done on a PC, and YT will only let you download a low-quality version of YOUR OWN VIDEOS. It is ridiculous!

Like you, I cannot stomach Shorts, TikTok, or FB Reels. But, this does not mean I cannot see the writing on the wall. My YouTube channel is dying for the most part, except for this one video I did recently that seems to struck gold and has a CPM of $37.60. But this video was a one of kind and completely outside the genre of my channel. However, what the incredible stats I am getting on it is telling me is that, YT likes that one video and pretty much hates my normal genre of videos. So, again it boils down to this. There is what I want to do, which is produce valuable, informative, and helpful content and make no money from it, OR, produce useless entertainment crap, and make money.

Ah! But such is the world. The person who devotes their lives to saving others will die unknown and in poverty while the masses lavish praises and money on someone who can knock a little white ball into a hole in the ground (golf).

dottiskitchen

Here are the top points being announced for 2023:

YPP eligible with 1,000 subscribers and 10 million views in the last 90 days (yikes!).

45% Ad revenue share for creators.

Super Thanks coming to Shorts.

looks like its following suit with the rest of the platforms

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes! One of the worst update I have seen so far from YouTube!

I mean, I really appreciate them letting creators use the copyright music or other music on their shorts video or maybe even on their longer ones and 9% (IG), of the total revenue will be given to the original authors and ads on shorts! but when it comes to those creators out there who are not into shorts but instead who are actually into the longer videos, man, it's still the same.

I was hoping they would tweak or make the public watch hours requirement less but rather they just made it even more worst! I mean, it's good for those creators out there who are totally into shorts and who're gaining at least 50k views or even 100k views per shorts video but for the small creators out there, it's kind of a bit impossible for them to reach 10 mils in last 90 days and let's not forget subscriber requirement is still same.

I agree with Matt, Gaming is a tough niche. I have a channel about gaming and it is growing slowly, but I am just doing it for fun. I think in a year or so, it will get to a monetizable level, but honestly, I am putting very little work into it. YouTube has taken a back burner as I have found much greener pastures.

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I do agree that gaming is a tough niche and a lot of competition but my point was, that they should have considered reducing some other requirements or criteria than favouring some big TikTokers or shorts content creators all alone here. Now, I believe, this could be reducing the subscribers' requirement just like how they did it for the Community Tab, maybe reduction in a bit to 500 or 700 subscribers or something which can or would actually favours small content creators out there and help them or motivate them in this.

4000 watch hours might look tough indeed but I do know If we're consistent about our videos and everything, it's still achievable, but still maybe, If they could reduce it by 30% somehow it would really help other long video content creators out there, still, it's just my opinion on this, having 10 mil requirement is pretty preposterous If you ask me and that too in last 90 days? ah well. I am expecting some content creators might just migrate to TikTok or another platform for this matter.

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I do agree that gaming is a tough niche and a lot of competition but my point was, that they should have considered reducing some other requirements or criteria than favouring some big TikTokers or shorts content creators all alone here. Now, I believe, this could be reducing the subscribers' requirement just like how they did it for the Community Tab, maybe reduction in a bit to 500 or 700 subscribers or something which can or would actually favours small content creators out there and help them or motivate them in this.

4000 watch hours might look tough indeed but I do know If we're consistent about our videos and everything, it's still achievable, but still maybe, If they could reduce it by 30% somehow it would really help other long video content creators out there, still, it's just my opinion on this, having 10 mil requirement is pretty preposterous If you ask me and that too in last 90 days? ah well. I am expecting some content creators might just migrate to TikTok or another platform for this matter.

If it means anything, I had another YT channel that was monetized many years ago (around 2013?) when there was no threshold. When they announced the 4K watch hours and 1K subscribers, I thought it was something I could never do because I never saw YT much more than a video hosting service. I didn't really understand the concept of subscribers, thumbnails, building a community, etc. I still managed to get over 300 subscribers in spite of my ignorance but I was cut off when the new YPP requirements kicked in. It is 9 years later before I got monetization again. The price of my ignorance and not keeping up with YT.

I know a lot of beginning long-form creators are disappointed by the announcement. It seems that YT is leaning on lowering the bar to give more benefits that used to be reserved at higher sub counts like the Community Tab you mentioned.

The one thing that seems unfair to me is that YT was placing ads on many of my decent-performing videos and I got none of that earned revenue. I wish they could have just stored it up or something even if they would not payout. Not to mention that there was a 5-day wait time even after qualifying. There was more lost revenue. But I've heard people waiting for final approval much longer so I should complain too much.

One thing that non-YPP are really deprived of in analytics are the VALUE of the information being given. The data in Revenue tab blew my mind. I had no idea how valuable some of my videos were by the topics I selected. I also learned what topics were NOT as valuable despite getting more views. Non-YPP creators are creating all sorts of videos blindly without knowing what videos and topics are worth what to advertisers.

I think it is important that creators know how much their videos are worth (CPM-wise) even if they cannot monetize. But that probably will never happen. The Revenue tab data is one of the last tabs to update info. It lags by nearly an entire day.

Having crossed into YPP only a couple months, I can safely say it is super important people cross that threshold ASAP so they can get that additional data that made my eyeballs pop out. And get the Adsense account ready to go PRIOR to get approval. Roberto Blake gave that advice that I took to heart and I can confirm he is right on the money on this.

• Love

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member

All those scantly dressed people shaking their *** are about to get paid. YouTube will experience a huge increase in content, but I wonder how their long term revenue fair, what do you advertise to people watching those videos? Their attention span has to be very short, run and gun style viewing, etc. And if they allow custom thumbnails that are actually used......wow...that will make it even more easier for those style of videos as a whole...to get eyeballs.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man I kinda liked this update! Is it tough, absolutely. Like, ridiculously tough. So tough that I can easily say I have NEVER once encountered an unmonitized creator who has met those requirements.
But I'll be honest (and yes, probably a little salty); I see a lot of ultra-sensitive, dispassionate creators flooding the platform with half-baked Shorts videos and crying about how they can't make money even though they get a ton of views and watch time. This sets the precedent; it says that yes, you can be monetized but no, Shorts are not the easy track to bypass the 4,000 hour watch time requirement. You are going to have to put in the work just like everybody else did. More so actually; I'd much rather try to hit 4k hours than 10MM views in 90 days. And then when it is done you are going to get paid far less.
I'm being really critical here but I do it out of respect and appreciation for those who have put in the time, are actively perfecting their craft and are making solid content. I would honestly be offended if after seven years of doing so YouTube came in and made it easy for anyone with a Tide-Pod and 15 seconds worth of memory on their phone to get monetized in a day. I like the barrier for entry and I feel like it keeps things competitive and encourages quality content. At least that's my hot take.

• Love

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I am curious how ads will work on Shorts. If I am going to watch a 45 second video... I ain't sitting through an ad.
(but to be honest I never watch shorts)