• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice YouTube shorts algorithm

wwsu4453169

My Channel is only around 2 month old and I noticed that after I posted shorts, some of them look like the views graph is about to go take a parabolic run up but tapers off around 1.9K. For some it will go to 3K and they also get tapered off. All of this is within 2-3 days then it looks like the feed completely stopped.

Since almost all of the view is from shorts feed, I donΓÇÖt understand why the feed gets stopped to go even higher. Sometimes there are multiple burst runs within the 3 day period but the total never gets above 5K.

All the video have average view duration of around 150%, some as high as 200% so people are definitely watching the whole thing and sometimes multiple times.

Does anyone know what other metric besides view duration the feed algorithm uses to decide if the feed is continue or stopped? Does channel age or CTR on the shorts shelf matter on what's the maximum number feed the shorts can drive it? Or is there a cap?

Last edited:

KNOWLEDGE ROD

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Based on what I obeserved it depends whether there is someone commenting, sharing or liking the video. The people interacting maybe the basis.

Reactions: Moochy

TCC learncanva4yt

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Subscriber Goal
When a shorts is viewed by the shorts shelf, it is being served up to the audience. Even a scroll by gets it a view, but once a new something gets pushed out on the shorts shelf your short gets knocked off. If the short you are creating has a good search term (like how to make bread for example) - and someone is actively searching in youTube for that topic and sees there is a very short video on it - they might be geared to click especially if you can have a longer video about that same topic in the description. Just my two cents.

I noticed the other day that I have a lot more shorts in my search results as well.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It has nothing to do with channel age and there is no cap... the Shorts algorithm is heavily dependent on a couple of specific factors:

1. Watch Time because... well this is kinda duh. The more people watch the better the video performs.
2. Engagement Not the biggest metric, but this does come into play
3. Click Through Rate This sucks because while we can upload custom thumbnails they are not going to be shown on the Shorts Shelf, which is where all those explosive views come from. Here we are at the mercy of YT and whatever screenshot they decide to share for your video. Make sure every frame looks like a thumbnail is about the best advice anyone can offer here.
4. Video Age YouTube has a function of their algorithms that is dedicated specifically to surfacing fresh, new content for viewers and this is exponentially more important with Shorts videos. Typically they have a life span of about 72 hours before they are replaced in favor of newer, fresher content. This is not always case; we have seen videos continue to produce views on the Shorts shelf for over a year though it is never with the same momentum that they have in that first 72 hours.

Reactions: mindME Music Sound

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
3. Click Through Rate This sucks because while we can upload custom thumbnails they are not going to be shown on the Shorts Shelf, which is where all those explosive views come from. Here we are at the mercy of YT and whatever screenshot they decide to share for your video. Make sure every frame looks like a thumbnail is about the best advice anyone can offer here.

Anecdotally, I believe thumbnails can be somewhat controlled/influenced for TV viewers. The thumbnails of my YT shorts that show up on the Roku version of Youtube does have my pre-selected thumbnail preference.

I embed my thumbnail image in the first second of my short-form videos so I kinda -sorta of have thumbnail images for most of my short form videos. I learned by experimentation that I got to have at least a full-second or more to capture that 1st image as an option. But again, I emphasize this is just anecdotal experimentation on my part.

And my embedded 1-second thumbnail images absolutely show up on IG Reels and TikTok account which look much better than if I didn't have one. So, as far as I am concerned, I have created the illusion of "thumbnails" on IG and TT. It is better than nothing.

The downside is that once you embed that 1-second thumbnail image, there is no changing it. You are stuck with it.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
This is one of the things I don't like about Shorts... the dichotomy of the conversation. YouTube doesn't show the thumbnail on the Shorts shelf, and that's a bummer but I kinda appreciate that this is the case. There's no BS or fooling people into watching your video, it's very sink-or-swim. But in the grand scheme of the platform it is important to craft custom thumbnails for Shorts videos. People get so focused on the Shorts Shelf performance and those explosive views that they ignore the value that this video can have as a portion of a playlist or as a standalone piece of content with a second life in Search or other traffic sources.

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
This is one of the things I don't like about Shorts... the dichotomy of the conversation. YouTube doesn't show the thumbnail on the Shorts shelf, and that's a bummer but I kinda appreciate that this is the case. There's no BS or fooling people into watching your video, it's very sink-or-swim. But in the grand scheme of the platform it is important to craft custom thumbnails for Shorts videos. People get so focused on the Shorts Shelf performance and those explosive views that they ignore the value that this video can have as a portion of a playlist or as a standalone piece of content with a second life in Search or other traffic sources.

You are absolutely correct. There is too much emphasis on the surge of views at the front end. I have decided for myself that my Shorts are pieces of content and I place into my appropriate playlists and will have continue residual value. It is a part of my portfolio of content.

I believe that not everyone seeks juvenile, gimmicky, cotton-candy content. I believe that, over time, some of the patterns we see today may plateau.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You are absolutely correct. There is too much emphasis on the surge of views at the front end. I have decided for myself that my Shorts are pieces of content and I place into my appropriate playlists and will have continue residual value. It is a part of my portfolio of content.

I believe that not everyone seeks juvenile, gimmicky, cotton-candy content. I believe that, over time, some of the patterns we see today may plateau.

I totally agree. And I have had a couple Shorts videos not only continue on the shelf after a year (though in very small amounts) but they also rank in YouTube and Google Search. I find that traffic far more valuable.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I totally agree. And I have had a couple Shorts videos not only continue on the shelf after a year (though in very small amounts) but they also rank in YouTube and Google Search. I find that traffic far more valuable.

I find that as a viewer myself, it is easier to get a taste of a new channel and creator by viewing the shorts. So, it is kind of nice that if creators include a few shorts in their channel. It makes it easier for new viewers to kick the tires vs. hitting a long-form video than abandoning it. I am guessing we prefer to have people jump out early of a Shorts video vs. a longer video.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I find that as a viewer myself, it is easier to get a taste of a new channel and creator by viewing the shorts. So, it is kind of nice that if creators include a few shorts in their channel. It makes it easier for new viewers to kick the tires vs. hitting a long-form video than abandoning it. I am guessing we prefer to have people jump out early of a Shorts video vs. a longer video.
Interesting approach... I avoid them myself; but I do prefer creators who take the time and put in the effort to craft a solid 20-30 minute video. As such I rarely find one who puts that amount of work/effort into their Shorts, which typically serve as a quick glimpse into this creator and their personality. If you had someone who was doing much easier 5-10 minute videos with a little less editing then I can totally see how a 1 minute video is much easier to use as a representation of their overall portfolio.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Interesting approach... I avoid them myself; but I do prefer creators who take the time and put in the effort to craft a solid 20-30 minute video. As such I rarely find one who puts that amount of work/effort into their Shorts, which typically serve as a quick glimpse into this creator and their personality. If you had someone who was doing much easier 5-10 minute videos with a little less editing then I can totally see how a 1 minute video is much easier to use as a representation of their overall portfolio.

I think the video genre matters. But you are probably right in the lighter work/effort into the Shorts. Some just use snippets of their long-form videos which is not much work. My bias is that I generally don't look for entertainment shorts. I am looking for information, insights, and fresh perspectives/opinions. So most of what I watch tend to be talking heads or some variation of that.

There are times I don't really want to get into a 10-20 minute video. Sometimes I just want some shorter fare. It just depends on my mood and frame of mind.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I think the video genre matters. But you are probably right in the lighter work/effort into the Shorts. Some just use snippets of their long-form videos which is not much work. My bias is that I generally don't look for entertainment shorts. I am looking for information, insights, and fresh perspectives/opinions. So most of what I watch tend to be talking heads or some variation of that.

There are times I don't really want to get into a 10-20 minute video. Sometimes I just want some shorter fare. It just depends on my mood and frame of mind.

That is also a great point; there is going to be a difference in consumption between entertainment and educational categories. Good call.