• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What games should I play on my channel? What do you want to see? PC games only please.

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Since I started using tubebuddy my views have gone from 30ish per video in the first few days to 0. What games can I play to boost my views?

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
It's often recommended to play just one game when doing a gaming channel, or at least one genre of game, such as Survival, Horror, FPS, or whatever other types of genre there are.

For example, I mainly just do videos on ARK Survival Evolved, and will expand that to ARK 2 when it releases. But whenever i've tried expanding it to other games I drop down a lot in views and activity.

So the important thing to think about, imo, is what games do you enjoy personally? I say this because if you actually enjoy the game yourself, then that is more likely to come across in your videos which will make them more enjoyable for the viewer. You've also go to try and balance this with what people want to see, which is where it can get difficult. I'm not sure there's a particular answer to the question what to play to boost views.

It might be the case that you try something, stick with it for a while and see what happens. I noticed you did a Planet Crafter video, but haven't done any since, although you said you'd hope to do more. I don't know if this is a case of you gave up on that because you didn't think it was worth it, or not. But try to play something you really enjoy and stick to that.

Not sure what anyone else thinks though. But when I was at my prime in 2017 I was doing really well playing just ARK. Having taken a 3 year break the struggle is real, but i'm staying focused still on the one game.

Reactions: Kathleen

BlenderSith

If you really wanted to add other games "but take on a much bigger workload" you could just start a new channel for that game. But yes @GPx is right, you don't want to put more than one game on a channel or you'll lose viewers. Trust me on the added workload though because I know. I have 12 YouTube channels and each one has its own topic. I have two channels that are more multiple topics and they are much more difficult to get views and grow. But I'm a YouTube content creator and I love experimenting.

Reactions: TheGamingAlien

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I consider myself an occasional PC gamer and I enjoy PC strategy games. But unless it is a tutorial or a sample gameplay where I am trying to learn more about the game before buying it, I can't watch people play games when I barely have enough time to play myself.

The point being, you may have to look at what audience have the time and enjoy watching others play games. From what I can tell, shooting, killing, destroying, blowing up, and generally action games get the most attention. That is a surfacy view.

I generally assume the only people who can really get into watching gaming are single people under 24 (who have a lot of disposable time and don't have their own family or established career). I don't know if this is true but you may want to find out more about who you want as viewers.

People can tell you what games they enjoy playing but I think it is more than the game itself. I consider gaming channels among the hardest genres in Youtube to break into. It is not for the faint of heart.

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I consider myself an occasional PC gamer and I enjoy PC strategy games. But unless it is a tutorial or a sample gameplay where I am trying to learn more about the game before buying it, I can't watch people play games when I barely have enough time to play myself.

The point being, you may have to look at what audience have the time and enjoy watching others play games. From what I can tell, shooting, killing, destroying, blowing up, and generally action games get the most attention. That is a surfacy view.

I generally assume the only people who can really get into watching gaming are single people under 24 (who have a lot of disposable time and don't have their own family or established career). I don't know if this is true but you may want to find out more about who you want as viewers.

People can tell you what games they enjoy playing but I think it is more than the game itself. I consider gaming channels among the hardest genres in Youtube to break into. It is not for the faint of heart.
I agree with a lot of this.

I've run a gaming channel for a good few years now, experimenting with different games and different types of videos. My conclusions came to the fact it is better to play one game and base your channel on that. Now for that to work it would have to be a big enough game for you to continuously make new content.

In addition to that I also learned that my "how to" videos (i.e. how to get an achievement, or how to tame a dinosaur" etc.) and also news related videos perform much better than generic gameplay. I believe review videos do much better too, but they are less common if you are focusing on one game as there'd be no need for review videos.

Game videos really need to have commentary too, otherwise why would anyone generally sit there watching a game just being played.

So yes gaming channel is one of, if not the hardest channel types out there. So whatever game you decide to play try and think about doing how to videos, or news about the game etc rather than just playing it.

Necros

TubeBuddy User
Playing new popular games may be very good for your channel, but it will be competition between tons of videos of course. Also, you need to like game, that you are playing, have a good skill, or being funny :) First of all, your subscribers need to see your positive mood :) You can also use another strategy - choose your gaming niche with lower competition and become best :)

naladea

I'd see it as choosing between two strategies; you could opt to compete with the highest viewed games at each time for example by looking at stats from Twitch OR alternatively just streaming some random not-as-well known games that could attract attention. Personally I'd shoot for the moon and just see what is trending currently.

llushiale

If you're looking for some fun and diverse games to play on your channel, you should definitely check out poki games. They've got a great variety of titles that can keep your viewers entertained for hours. From action-packed adventures to relaxing puzzle games, there's something for everyone.

Some of my personal favorites include:
  • Fireboy and Watergirl series: Perfect for some cooperative gameplay.
  • Papa's Pizzeria: A fun and addictive cooking game.
  • Vex series: Great for some intense platforming challenges.
These games are easy to get into, and your audience will love watching you play through the different levels and challenges. Plus, theyΓÇÖre free to play, so you wonΓÇÖt have to worry about breaking the bank.

Last edited: