• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy Suggestion 1080 Thumbnail

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
When I create a thumbnail for the show, if I download it, the thumbnail is 1280x720. The live streams are in 1080p and I would like the thumbnails to also have a 1920x1080 resolution. Is that a limitation of YouTube, or is there a way to bump up the image capture to 1080 or better?

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
When I create a thumbnail for the show, if I download it, the thumbnail is 1280x720. The live streams are in 1080p and I would like the thumbnails to also have a 1920x1080 resolution. Is that a limitation of YouTube, or is there a way to bump up the image capture to 1080 or better?

I believe it's a limitation that is set by YouTube Itself, the maximum resolution which suits the Thumbnail is 1280x720, If you wish to use anything beyond that resolution, it won't make much difference.

Furthermore, I do believe that you can definitely create 1920X1080 customized thumbnails using your Photo Editor/Thumbnail maker software/application but it may or may not work and moreover, you need to make sure that its size is less than 2MB or else it won't let you upload in the first place. You can check the below screenshot as it is something that comes directly from YouTube blogs/Support blogs about thumbnails, I will leave the link below so you can use it for reference.

1649869658381.png

Reference - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431

Being said this, I doubt this is something we can work on , as YouTube itself recommends their users to have a resolution of 1280x720 and since it's something default from their end and as TubeBuddy relies on YouTube API, we won't be able to work much on this.

OP
OP
Jeffrey Powers

Jeffrey Powers

TubeBuddy Legend
geekazine.com
It would be great if there was a way for me to edit the thumbnail, then download a 1080 version as the 720 version gets uploaded to YouTube. Right now I can only download a 720 version when the last box appears.

But moreover, IMHO - I really wouldn't respond to a suggestion with "Use another piece of software to do it". It doesn't bode well, and it can frustrate the person asking. I know I can make my own thumbnails, but this is suppose to make it easier (and it does).

I believe it's a limitation that is set by YouTube Itself, the maximum resolution which suits the Thumbnail is 1280x720, If you wish to use anything beyond that resolution, it won't make much difference.

Furthermore, I do believe that you can definitely create 1920X1080 customized thumbnails using your Photo Editor/Thumbnail maker software/application but it may or may not work and moreover, you need to make sure that its size is less than 2MB or else it won't let you upload in the first place. You can check the below screenshot as it is something that comes directly from YouTube blogs/Support blogs about thumbnails, I will leave the link below so you can use it for reference.

View attachment 12084

Reference - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72431

Being said this, I doubt this is something we can work on , as YouTube itself recommends their users to have a resolution of 1280x720 and since it's something default from their end and as TubeBuddy relies on YouTube API, we won't be able to work much on this.

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It would be great if there was a way for me to edit the thumbnail, then download a 1080 version as the 720 version gets uploaded to YouTube. Right now I can only download a 720 version when the last box appears.

I get you here that it'd be a lot easier If you've got an option to download HD Thumbnail (1080) and indeed, we will definitely see If there's a way to implement this but we can't guarantee such as it totally depends if YouTube API allows users create a 1080 version using our Thumbnail Generator If necessary changes do get implemented.

But moreover, IMHO - I really wouldn't respond to a suggestion with "Use another piece of software to do it". It doesn't bode well, and it can frustrate the person asking. I know I can make my thumbnails, but this is supposed to make it easier (and it does).

We appreciate that you're suggesting ways to improve the TubeBuddy extension and to make it even better and easier but with all due respect, the only reason I suggested using other software to create an HD thumbnail here first, is to experiment with whether uploading such an HD version of Thumbnail would make your YT thumbnail better or does YouTube by default lower downs the quality to match the allowed resolution, thus, tearing down your quality even after using 1080P or there might be chances that due to Thumbnail size limitation ( needs to be less than 2MB), you might even face issues while uploading the same.

In no way I'm turning your suggestion down as such, however, this sub-forum main purpose is to either discuss things between the community, see If it's something possible and even If it's possible, will end-user be benefited after implementing such changes, so it's just a normal discussion and I'm just suggesting ways to experiment some stuff before we can decide on the said suggestion :) .