• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Should I use the entire 500 characters for my tags?

Amanda Summers

Known Member
Someone told me not to put so many tags for my videos. She said the bots only see the first little bit. But even if this is so, the bots will only get better and will read more as time goes on. How many should we use?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
It doesn't really matter all that much... Tags are the least important aspect of your metadata. They are not unimportant... but they are the least important piece of the puzzle. You are actually given credit for more keyword phrases than you enter into your tags. For example:

If you use the keyword phrase 'how to bake chocolate chip cookies in a dutch oven' YouTube can see that people who search for this also search for similar terms, like 'how to bake chocolate chip cookies' and 'chocolate chip cookies in a dutch oven.' But with all their data they also know that users who search for this term also tend to search for 'baking chocolate chip cookies' and 'chocolate chip cookie recipes.' Even if you do not enter any of these keyword phrases into your tags YouTube is still going to make that connection and put you in front of these searches, depending on how well your video performs for these audiences.

Putting these phrases in your tags lets TubeBuddy track where you stand in the Search Ranks so that you can see your authority and make educated decisions regarding whether you want to double-down and make more videos on similar subjects (to increase your authority in that niche) or branch out and increase your footprint. What is important though is ensuring that your targeted phrases are entered into your title and description, as this is a far more relevant place for your metadata. And of course, it all centers around your watch time and average view duration (as well as the number of videos a viewer watches in combination with and as a result of your video).

OP
OP
Amanda Summers

Amanda Summers

Known Member
So, what I just started doing is going through 1 phrase at a time in the Keyword Explorer and putting it in a list with the number Keyword Explorer gives me. Then I write them in the description in the order of the one with the largest number and make a bit of a sentence about the video. It's a long process and I thought I was using the app wrong. But you just have to search by guessing and see what number comes up. I'm I understanding this and doing it right?