• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question English is not my native language. Is it good or bad when talking english in videos?

Spartta

I can speak english, but its not perfect and sometimes say some words wrong. Will it hurt my views or help giving more personality to my videos?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
It depends on how proficient you are. There are people who are proficient at English but have an accent, I think they will be okay. But if your ability to speak English proficiently is rough, it could hurt you.

However, people look at the whole presence on video. It could include body language, your personality, your voice, the persona you choose, etc. It really depends.

But also remember English has many variations. There are the U.S., UK, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand variations. The world is becoming more international so your chances are better now than 10 years ago.

However, I won't lie. There will be some people you will never win over based on your speaking ability. The only way to know is to try a few videos and see what happens.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Spartta

Spartta

It depends on how proficient you are. There are people who are proficient at English but have an accent, I think they will be okay. But if your ability to speak English proficiently is rough, it could hurt you.

However, people look at the whole presence on video. It could include body language, your personality, your voice, the persona you choose, etc. It really depends.

But also remember English has many variations. There are the U.S., UK, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand variations. The world is becoming more international so your chances are better now than 10 years ago.

However, I won't lie. There will be some people you will never win over based on your speaking ability. The only way to know is to try a few videos and see what happens.
Ok. Thanks for advice. This couraged me and i think i dont need to worry about it. I have never been a good talker even with my native language. Still i was doing good when i was working as a salesman. People liked my smile and personality. Also i was working as an entertainer and heavily depended on body language and props to engage the audience.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I definitely agree with Matt here. Because English is a wide spread language, and probably the most common on youtube, it would probably work in your favor to speak in english, provided your english is good. You could also put subtitles on your videos if you're worried.

Reactions: Spartta

Lenre2021

Subscriber Goal
All have the freedom to use any language you are comfortable with while recording the videos for your channel as long as you are totally comfortable using the language.

Miles Ahead Racing

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
milesaheadracing.com
Subscriber Goal
Ok. Thanks for advice. This couraged me and i think i dont need to worry about it. I have never been a good talker even with my native language. Still i was doing good when i was working as a salesman. People liked my smile and personality. Also i was working as an entertainer and heavily depended on body language and props to engage the audience.
Yeah, don't worry about it. Just be your authentic, genuine self.
However, if you are self-conscience about it, as someone suggested above use captions / subtitles.

Reactions: Spartta