• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is it bad to put a link in the YouTube comments section?

PicklezCameraGuy

I assume it is, but I've clicked on links in the comments section before and found some good content. Just curious on some of your opinions.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't allow other people to put links in my comment section. It deters a lot of the spammers, especially the naughty ones. I try to always remember to put a link as the first pinned comment though. It might to go a playlist of mine or another video. Sometimes it goes to my website. Always a call to action on any of them. don't know if people actually do it

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I would not drop a link on someone else's video unless it is very on topic. I have done it on interview vids - just to share a link to the complete interview, or the next segment of that one. I do not link to my own vids.

I have YT hold all links for review, and I never review them. I am not clicking on a random link to see if it is suitable, I just delete all comments with links on the review page. If some random YouTuber leaves links to their vids on my video, I usually report it as spam.

• Love
Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
PicklezCameraGuy

PicklezCameraGuy

I would not drop a link on someone else's video unless it is very on topic. I have done it on interview vids - just to share a link to the complete interview, or the next segment of that one. I do not link to my own vids.

I have YT hold all links for review, and I never review them. I am not clicking on a random link to see if it is suitable, I just delete all comments with links on the review page. If some random YouTuber leaves links to their vids on my video, I usually report it as spam.
Good to know.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, I wasn't very clear. I mean dropping links on other peoples videos.

Then yes, it's pretty rude to do. I've had people stop by and say things like "if you like this podcast, you'll enjoy..." and drop their youtube or podcast name on my youtube comments and apple podcasts ratings. It's a terrible practice unless it is specifically asked for as a task from the video. I don't know, one day youtube might look at that as spamming, and then smack you for it even when asked. Who knows.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Then yes, it's pretty rude to do. I've had people stop by and say things like "if you like this podcast, you'll enjoy..." and drop their youtube or podcast name on my youtube comments and apple podcasts ratings. It's a terrible practice unless it is specifically asked for as a task from the video. I don't know, one day youtube might look at that as spamming, and then smack you for it even when asked. Who knows.

Youtube recognizes people dropping links as MOSTLY spam which is why we, as channel owners, all have the ability to block links entirely. As far as I am concerned, trying to drop links for any reason is generally a waste of time on YT. That is not what comments on YT are used for and generally for elementary use.