• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Weighted Scores Are Depressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinyoungscot

I've been using tubebuddy for just over a year now. The keyword explorer makes me quite upset.

Checking for keywords is one thing. Looking for longtail, getting a decent score that maybe shows a monthly search volume then BOOM!, click on weighted and it all goes red.

What's the approach for finding a weighted keyword/phrase that isn't red all over the place? If there isn't one, how do I maybe sneak and amber score or better?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You should not let any "score" stop you from producing content that may be of interest to viewers. The scores help give you some idea of what you are going up against if you pursue those keywords. It should not make decisions for you. A low score is NOT a guarantee your video can't succeed just like a high score is not a guarantee your video will succeed.

The keywords you are going for will be greatly influenced by your content niche and strategy. What is the content niche you are going after?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You should not let any "score" stop you from producing content that may be of interest to viewers. The scores help give you some idea of what you are going up against if you pursue those keywords. It should not make decisions for you. A low score is NOT a guarantee your video can't succeed just like a high score is not a guarantee your video will succeed.

The keywords you are going for will be greatly influenced by your content niche and strategy. What is the content niche you are going after?

OP
OP
colinyoungscot

colinyoungscot

Thank you for this. I don't stop with content creation, it's just hard to deal with sometimes when it's a sea of red on the keyword tool. I do tend to still go for keywords that have competition marked as poor but optimization marked as excellent. If I'm reading it right hopefully optimizing my videos will help.

I am a part time piano teacher so my video are aimed at theory for beginners and learning piano for beginners. I would say it's a swamped field but I'm sure every niche is.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I took piano lessons for a few years when I was a young teen so I have some context. The reason I never continued with piano lessons is no one ever listened to my complaints or acknowledged my upsets and I gave up and dropped out of it. Why did my teachers not allow me to play certain music that I enjoyed? I was always forced to play the classics and I understand they are fundamentals but if students lose interest, fundamentals don't matter.

I would like someone to explain WHY things are the way they are done in piano playing beyond "the teacher said so".

What I am saying is that regardless of popularity, if you are a piano teacher trying to reach and grow an audience, there are certain questions and topics that should be acknowledged regardless of what any SEO scoring says.

Are you targeting your videos to the purists or a "practicalist" (someone like me who only wanted to learn to play piano for the enjoyment of it and not all the traditional recitals, etc.)

I would say there is a much larger audience for people who want to learn so they can play music they enjoy vs. those who want to be a classical pianist. Maybe create some videos of how to play some famous movie themes in a simple manner. "How to play the Star Wars theme easily on piano" would probably get some traction. "How to play the Avengers theme simply on piano"? On that one idea alone, you could leverage all the famous movies. Star Trek, Jaws, James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc.

Obviously, you would have to choose a simple arrangement without all the fancy chords with more emphasis on a simple melody arrangement. But people have a craving to easily learn how to play music on an instrument.

Then you can bring in why people should learn how to do their scales, why learning chords are important, or any other technical point you want to make. You tie the boring stuff into things people are really interested in.

OP
OP
colinyoungscot

colinyoungscot

I took piano lessons for a few years when I was a young teen so I have some context. The reason I never continued with piano lessons is no one ever listened to my complaints or acknowledged my upsets and I gave up and dropped out of it. Why did my teachers not allow me to play certain music that I enjoyed? I was always forced to play the classics and I understand they are fundamentals but if students lose interest, fundamentals don't matter.

I would like someone to explain WHY things are the way they are done in piano playing beyond "the teacher said so".

What I am saying is that regardless of popularity, if you are a piano teacher trying to reach and grow an audience, there are certain questions and topics that should be acknowledged regardless of what any SEO scoring says.

Are you targeting your videos to the purists or a "practicalist" (someone like me who only wanted to learn to play piano for the enjoyment of it and not all the traditional recitals, etc.)

I would say there is a much larger audience for people who want to learn so they can play music they enjoy vs. those who want to be a classical pianist. Maybe create some videos of how to play some famous movie themes in a simple manner. "How to play the Star Wars theme easily on piano" would probably get some traction. "How to play the Avengers theme simply on piano"? On that one idea alone, you could leverage all the famous movies. Star Trek, Jaws, James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc.

Obviously, you would have to choose a simple arrangement without all the fancy chords with more emphasis on a simple melody arrangement. But people have a craving to easily learn how to play music on an instrument.

Then you can bring in why people should learn how to do their scales, why learning chords are important, or any other technical point you want to make. You tie the boring stuff into things people are really interested in.
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Originally when I started creating videos I wanted to do it mainly to give my students someting to watch on topics we could cover in lessons but it would give them a reminder through the week between lessons.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have in the past done work like you suggested with students but was always a little wary about doing it on youtube in case I got a strike. However, I see a lot of people doing it so it can't be too bad.

Work I've done with students have included video game music for example Minecraft. Working on one just from a game called Spiritfarer and did something from Julie and Phantoms which is a show on Netflix (I had NO idea what that was). I should as you suggest, start targetting things a little more common knowledge and go from there.

Thanks again.

WTFG

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Originally when I started creating videos I wanted to do it mainly to give my students someting to watch on topics we could cover in lessons but it would give them a reminder through the week between lessons.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have in the past done work like you suggested with students but was always a little wary about doing it on youtube in case I got a strike. However, I see a lot of people doing it so it can't be too bad.

Work I've done with students have included video game music for example Minecraft. Working on one just from a game called Spiritfarer and did something from Julie and Phantoms which is a show on Netflix (I had NO idea what that was). I should as you suggest, start targetting things a little more common knowledge and go from there.

Thanks again.

I guess what age group are you targeting specifically? I would think teens or adults are more apt to want to "virutal" learn. My 8 yr old son wanted violin lessons (out of the blue) so we signed him up for in person lessons. he was very excited at first. But partway through his teachers changed, and they taught differently. She made him put the bow away and learn to pluck first. he had been doing great with bow. Then when she had him go back to bow, he was confused and frustrated and ultimately lost interest. There are 100 different ways to teach. My suggestion would be to see what others are doing and read the comments posted. See what people like or don't like. Ultimately your videos might reach them in a more profoudn way, or maybe your personality more likeable.

Also comment drop on those videos. Post a comment complementing the teacher or method of teaching and mention that you teach similar or how you teach different. Make sure you are friendly about it or they might delete your comment, hahah!

Also better yet, advertise your channel on facebook. Make a catchy video, and have it direct people to your channel. Facebook ads are way easier to manage than youTube ads.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been using tubebuddy for just over a year now. The keyword explorer makes me quite upset.

Checking for keywords is one thing. Looking for longtail, getting a decent score that maybe shows a monthly search volume then BOOM!, click on weighted and it all goes red.

What's the approach for finding a weighted keyword/phrase that isn't red all over the place? If there isn't one, how do I maybe sneak and amber score or better?

I'm still searching for the ones that work in an oversaturated niche. When I look at my search analytics none of them match anything I've found from tubebuddy so I stopped using it and long tail keywords. And I still didn't get impressions or very many views.

Status
Not open for further replies.