• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Youtube shorts

Uk sea fishing

Subscriber Goal
Hi guys whats everyones opinion on youtube shorts? Personally im on the fence at the minute, ive put a few shorts up i just cant understand how the algorithm decides to show them on the shorts feed, ive had one go to 3.7k and the next got just 50 both using the same tags

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I repurpose footage for use on social media... making one 20 second video out of re-used footage serves as a great way to spread the word on Instagram, Twitter and Tik Tok that I have a new full-length video coming out on YouTube. So I will include that as a YouTube short video. Might as well, it already exists.

That having been said, YouTube Shorts are tricky. They end up going on the Shorts Shelf and that is where you see the massive explosion of views. The problem is that there is a different, dedicated segment of viewers watching the shorts shelf. If these viewers see your video and subscribe to your channel you are collecting a large amount of viewers who's habits a vastly different than those who have been watching your regular, full-length videos. If this new influx of viewers does not enjoy your longer form content then that is a lot of empty subscribers to be picking up. And empty subscriptions can lead to poor video performance, which signals YouTube to give your videos less impressions.

It's not as dire as all this, but this is the worst case scenario. Make sure your Shorts content falls in line with your longer form content so that there is less of a jump between the two. Make sure the Shorts content is good for your already existing audience too. Just be aware you don't want to stray too far from your core content.

TOYFRIENDLY

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I agree, shorts are unpredictable. I had one go up to 12k and others just 10 views for about a week now hehehe. Just keep grinding is what I always say.

Reactions: Damon

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I really don't like them, I have too long of an attention span to watch them, and I like to put a lot of effort into what I create, so some of my videos are quite long.

Reactions: Miles Ahead Racing

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I repurpose footage for use on social media... making one 20 second video out of re-used footage serves as a great way to spread the word on Instagram, Twitter and Tik Tok that I have a new full-length video coming out on YouTube. So I will include that as a YouTube short video. Might as well, it already exists.

That having been said, YouTube Shorts are tricky. They end up going on the Shorts Shelf and that is where you see the massive explosion of views. The problem is that there is a different, dedicated segment of viewers watching the shorts shelf. If these viewers see your video and subscribe to your channel you are collecting a large amount of viewers who's habits a vastly different than those who have been watching your regular, full-length videos. If this new influx of viewers does not enjoy your longer form content then that is a lot of empty subscribers to be picking up. And empty subscriptions can lead to poor video performance, which signals YouTube to give your videos less impressions.

It's not as dire as all this, but this is the worst case scenario. Make sure your Shorts content falls in line with your longer form content so that there is less of a jump between the two. Make sure the Shorts content is good for your already existing audience too. Just be aware you don't want to stray too far from your core content.

I get about 1 subscriber per 500 views on YouTube for shorts it seems. A lot less on the other platform.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I donΓÇÖt even know HOW to try
I don't put a lot of time and effort into Shorts... they go directly against what I am trying to accomplish (I prefer doing more documentary-style filmmaking type content). That having been said I play with them from time to time and I have no clue what I am doing. My approach is simply to watch a few until I find one that strikes my fancy, and then recreate it from a fishing perspective.

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't put a lot of time and effort into Shorts... they go directly against what I am trying to accomplish (I prefer doing more documentary-style filmmaking type content). That having been said I play with them from time to time and I have no clue what I am doing. My approach is simply to watch a few until I find one that strikes my fancy, and then recreate it from a fishing perspective.

Most of my videos are at least an hour-long, and I usually spend most of my day working on them. I literally cant imagine being able to put that much work into a 60 clip

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Most of my videos are at least an hour-long, and I usually spend most of my day working on them. I literally cant imagine being able to put that much work into a 60 clip

I feel you, I do highly-edited 15-30 minute vlogs (using only my phone!) and I know the pain of that process. But the work that goes into a 60 sec video is different. It isn't the highly-crafted editing that is as important as making sure you have the right shot and that it ties with music etc to tell a story in such a short span of time.

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I feel you, I do highly-edited 15-30 minute vlogs (using only my phone!) and I know the pain of that process. But the work that goes into a 60 sec video is different. It isn't the highly-crafted editing that is as important as making sure you have the right shot and that it ties with music etc to tell a story in such a short span of time.
I'm currently suffering from covid too tbh so even my best videos are made up of mostly rambling at the moment as I'm so determined to keep going as best I can. there is however a clip from my most recent video I was considering using as a short. I was attacked by killer cats (the game was in arachnophobic mode but I still know what the actual mob looks like) and I freaked out. I feel taking that clip out of context may draw some attention to the actual video maybe.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I'm currently suffering from covid too tbh so even my best videos are made up of mostly rambling at the moment as I'm so determined to keep going as best I can. there is however a clip from my most recent video I was considering using as a short. I was attacked by killer cats (the game was in arachnophobic mode but I still know what the actual mob looks like) and I freaked out. I feel taking that clip out of context may draw some attention to the actual video maybe.

Man first off... get your rest! It's ok to take a little time off! Second... I would run with your Shorts concept here. One of the biggest things I encourage everyone to do is to experiment and this is a perfect example. Throw it out there and see what happens. It's not going to hurt you and the knowledge you gain from its performance is a net gain!

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Man first off... get your rest! It's ok to take a little time off! Second... I would run with your Shorts concept here. One of the biggest things I encourage everyone to do is to experiment and this is a perfect example. Throw it out there and see what happens. It's not going to hurt you and the knowledge you gain from its performance is a net gain!
Well, I gave it a try but the system did not recognize the video as a "short". I don't have a clue what I did wrong but it didn't work. weird.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well, I gave it a try but the system did not recognize the video as a "short". I don't have a clue what I did wrong but it didn't work. weird.
As long as the video is under sixty-seconds that is not likely the case... although they do get indexed a little weird if you do not include #Shorts, make it vertical etc anything under sixty-seconds is automatically indexed as a Shorts video. It is possible that it simply did not meet the performance specs required to compete against the other videos currently on the shelf at that time. This is a much more common occurrence, and the one that most often leads to the seemingly random nature of Shorts video performance.

ShanitatorWiggy

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I
As long as the video is under sixty-seconds that is not likely the case... although they do get indexed a little weird if you do not include #Shorts, make it vertical etc anything under sixty-seconds is automatically indexed as a Shorts video. It is possible that it simply did not meet the performance specs required to compete against the other videos currently on the shelf at that time. This is a much more common occurrence, and the one that most often leads to the seemingly random nature of Shorts video performance.
I think I failed to make it vertical to be honest.

Reactions: Dendi Rifki Senjaya

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I

I think I failed to make it vertical to be honest.
That won't cause it to be Not a Shorts video... but it can cause yours to not get the exposure it would otherwise get. I am not sure why that is... but I know that's a thing. It's likely viewer behavior (regular videos that pop up while a viewer is scrolling through and expecting vertical content are going to get reduced performance naturally).

Reactions: Dendi Rifki Senjaya

PicklezCameraGuy

For me shorts are hit or miss. I've gotten 900 views on one, 200 on another, 100 on another, and then cricket's on the rest of them. And those never made it to the shorts feed. I wonder what makes them hit the feed, or if they all go in the feed.

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
For me shorts are hit or miss. I've gotten 900 views on one, 200 on another, 100 on another, and then cricket's on the rest of them. And those never made it to the shorts feed. I wonder what makes them hit the feed, or if they all go in the feed.
This is REALLY common.