• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Genuine feedback for my iMovie video

Nick Moody

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
www.facebook.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: Nick Moody
Title of thread: Genuine feedback for my iMovie video
Self review: Not really good at video editing. I use iMovie. My video does not come across too professional. Do you think my piece to camera would work better if IΓÇÖm actually driving my car ? Any feedback appreciated
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://youtu.be/mNQdr5z9hDg

Link to other review post: How do I post a link from another review? IΓÇÖm genuinely struggling

Reactions: mediabanjar

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You have the foundations for a really great channel here; love your personality, you have a solid knowledge of a topic that not everyone has and people will want and the in-car setting obviously works well in your favor. Also, your editing is absolutely decent. Editing isn't something that really stands out to a viewer... nobody is going to look at your editing and go 'Wow, that was some amazing editing... I should subscribe to this channel.' But poor editing will definitely have the opposite reaction. Your editing is not going to drive people away (pardon the pun).

You spent the majority of the video discussing your topic points and giving us an entertaining story... and then you ended it with a montage. That was effective, but I wonder if the viewer is going to want to consume a video in this way. That is to say, I would watch your retention graph carefully here. I have a suspicion that the viewer is going to hang out for the comedy/insight, and then the montage is going to signal them that the meat of the video is over and they are quickly going to click away. IMO the montage would have been better served edited into and through your monologue. It would have cut this video down to 4-5 minutes... but man that would have been a jam-packed and entertaining 4-5 minutes. Which is kinda what you are looking to accomplish. For reference; the top 10% of 7 minute videos on YouTube average about 75% retention.

Personally I would not advise driving while filming. All obvious reasons aside you are more focused on your video, the monologue and your audience when you are not having to pay attention to the road. There is less background audio noise too... and that is a highly underrated issue. In fact I would say that your video quality is totally acceptable and that if you were to improve anything it would be to get yourself a solid microphone; audio would improve your quality more than video would.

We have a rule here about providing a review before you get one... I see you are struggling but the premise is simple; go to someone else in this thread who is asking for a review and provide one for them. Give them some feedback. Afterwards simply copy and paste the URL to that review in the Link to other Review Post: for your own. That way we make sure that everyone is contributing. You are welcome to do so now, I'll leave this up for you.

Thank you for being a part of our forum and good luck!

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
I love the video because your personality makes it fun. I'm not much into car videos mainly because I can't afford one and I'm not in the market for one but for BMW enthusiasts or people looking for a car would probably enjoy it for their needs. I see absolutely no problems with your editing. If you want my opinion on those "professional" videos where people don't make the video very personal, they are too much like TV commercials or infomercials where someone is trying to sell off something. To me, YouTube means it is for you and the beauty of YouTube is that no one needs to be a professional actor pretending they're into something. You're obviously doing what you love and it shows. For me, that is why I enjoy youtube.

mediabanjar

TubeBuddy User
Self review: Not really good at video editing. I use iMovie. My video does not come across too professional. Do you think my piece to camera would work better if IΓÇÖm actually driving my car ? Any feedback appreciated

Link to Video:

Link to other review post: How do I post a link from another review? IΓÇÖm genuinely struggling
Nick, good music in the beginning of the video. You might want to try to have the camera light come I from the left (perhaps even from the back seat of your car) to see if that improves the lighting.

CheapDreams

I think that you have a great niche and with a few improvements, you will be well on your way to numbers that will make you very happy. your video editing skills seem pretty good just need some adjustments to your style.
before I get into that I wanted to touch on this first because it probably will help the most. look into the lens as much as possible it creates a connection with the viewer increasing retention and subscribers. to me, it looks like your using your forward-facing camera on your phone which causes you to look at the screen. I have this problem as well to the point where I never use my forword camera anymore.
now on to the editing. I would use more b- role especially when talking about things you can show. I've seen a few big YouTubers say your b-role should take up 80% of the onscreen time. I'm nowhere near that as well but it does emphasize how important it really is.
and finally, the last 2 minutes should be used for the intro and throughout the video. those were the most eye-catching moments of the video but instead of using it to capture viewers' attention or to reengage viewers, it was put at the end where everyone has already clicked away.

Subscriber Goal

Link to Video:

Link to Video:

well IΓÇÖm a car guy and stuff personality is what I notice and then I only see one thing the higher ups at YouTube will not monetize the video fully sadly. And IΓÇÖm in the same boat even though IΓÇÖm in the tech savvy millinal generation IΓÇÖm sometimes like welp IΓÇÖm on Revis Island. I try not to make jokes but I just did. Video is top notch and then the outro is nice.