• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Tips Are intros a waste in the video?

Hiking with Shawn

TubeBuddy Legend
How do you feel about introductions in each video? Do you introduce yourself or the channel?

My video structure goes like this:
  1. Starts with a hook (teaser footage)
  2. 5-second intro with my logo and a disclaimer with a sound file (that I own)
  3. Then I say "Howdy folks, Shawn here with Hiking with Shawn...."
I've been listening to some podcasters lately contemplate on the worthiness of the intro in videos.

They think that videos don't need them at all and that they may be impacting bounce and retention.

How do you all feel about this?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Great topic to bring up. I've watched a lot of discussions by various YTubers on this.

This is what I have come up with.

1. 5-seconds is too long for a formal intro. I did intros after the hook for a few months but when I saw my retention graph, I didn't like the impact so I got rid of it altogether. If I were to do a preset intro, it would be 2-seconds at most, a quick flash of a logo, maybe a sound effect, then move on.

2. Having said that, I don't do ANY formal intro (for now). I don't even say my name or channel name. I just do my hook, bypass any intro, and go right in. Part of the reason for that is that I've seen Youtubers show their channel name, contact info (email/phone), etc. It becomes permanent into the video. If you make a change later, you are stuck with the obsolete info. I don''t like that. I prefer a lot of that info in my description area.

3. I also don't do any greetings. I don't say hello or say my name. Am I being rude or too serious? I think maybe I could be. I am not sure.

Because of where I am currently at pre-YPP, I don't want to give ANY reasons for any viewer to leave my video. Having an intro of any kind is something I forego.

If they don't know my name, it is fine. If they need my contact info? Go to my description area. The channel name isn't hard to find either and I don't figure most of my viewers care. They just want the meat & potatoes.

I am being an extremist here but I tend to skip right over any intros as a viewer even if it is only 5-seconds.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I no longer do any intro, and my outro is 3 seconds. I did some testing on retention and found the intro and outro killed the retention. I did a post on it a while back showing some retention graphs over time. https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/43760/

I like using a hook, then go right into it. There is a title splash that goes over the video. It is only around the edges, has no sound, and does not get in the way of going straight to the info. That big drop in my first 30 seconds has leveled out very well.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You need something to grab attention immediately... YouTube looks pretty close at your performance in the first 30 seconds of the video. An intro rarely does anything to improve this and more often than not turns viewers away.

I personally have near-zero faith in video-introductions; almost as a joke my intro is simply my 'logo' slapped on the screen during a transition for about 1.5 seconds.

As an aside I have recently been glued to Paddy Galloway's videos... I feel like he gives the 'next level' advice I am looking for in going from the 1k stage to the 100k stage. He has some very similar sentiments when it comes not only to actual video introductions but to the way you should treat the first few minutes of a video in general. He did a breakdown of Mr. Beast's Squid Games video that was nothing short of epic. And a big part of that breakdown was how Mr. Beast got into the video immediately and yet was still able to explain what was going on in a way that could be understand by someone who had never seen Squid Games.

Worth a watch man...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZbGnwXjj4

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MattCommand1

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Chunk the intro. Jump straight in. No need to tell someone you're about to climb a mountain, they already know that information from the title and thumbnail. Cut straight to someone climbing a mountain, or gearing up. For example:
  1. Get an establishing shot of the mountain, 3 seconds.
  2. Cut to a guy tying ropes, 3 seconds.
  3. Cut to a guy starting the climb, 3 seconds.
  4. The guy slips on a rock, 3 second.
  5. Cut to black title screen that says "three weeks earlier."
That's 12 seconds and you absolutely have these people hooked and wanting to watch the whole video. Notice no one said anything, yet all the information they need is provided. They know where you are, what you're trying to do, and have a good understanding of the conflict at hand. What's more you haven't said a word.

No intro, no of this"
"What's up YouTube! In today's video, I'm going to climb Mount Slip Fall. Sorry for not having posted any videos. Life has been crazy. My mom has been sick and my truck broke down, but before we get started please subscribe, and be sure to hit the bell icon so that you won't miss any future climbes! also check out my online store for merch. and climbing accessories! Without further adieu, ROLL THE INTRO!!!!"

Oh, my goodness! You just wasted two minutes of my life! Thumb's down! And I'll make sure to ever watch another video from that person again for the rest of my sad, pathetic life!

You must get rid of anything that makes your video hard to watch. If your video is hard to watch, they won't watch it. they'll go find a YouTuber who does.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Chunk the intro. Jump straight in. No need to tell someone you're about to climb a mountain, they already know that information from the title and thumbnail. Cut straight to someone climbing a mountain, or gearing up. For example:
  1. Get an establishing shot of the mountain, 3 seconds.
  2. Cut to a guy tying ropes, 3 seconds.
  3. Cut to a guy starting the climb, 3 seconds.
  4. The guy slips on a rock, 3 second.
  5. Cut to black title screen that says "three weeks earlier."

Very cool example. Thank you for providing this example to convey the same info in a visual format. I definitely need help in that department.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
As an aside I have recently been glued to Paddy Galloway's videos... I feel like he gives the 'next level' advice I am looking for in going from the 1k stage to the 100k stage. He has some very similar sentiments when it comes not only to actual video introductions but to the way you should treat the first few minutes of a video in general. He did a breakdown of Mr. Beast's Squid Games video that was nothing short of epic. And a big part of that breakdown was how Mr. Beast got into the video immediately and yet was still able to explain what was going on in a way that could be understand by someone who had never seen Squid Games.

Never knew about Paddy Galloway's case study videos. Very nice suggestion. Thank you! I subscribed and will make my way through Paddy's videos in the days/weeks to come.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I've watched many videos on this and have experience with this myself. I used to use an intro, and it killed retention completely. They aren't doing you any good, because viewers want to get in the action. As a viewer myself, if a creator just isn't getting into the content quickly enough, I'll start skipping ahead to where they really start, or just click off.

I've understand the appeal of an intro, they sound really cool, I thought so too. But they probably aren't helping you.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Chunk the intro. Jump straight in. No need to tell someone you're about to climb a mountain, they already know that information from the title and thumbnail. Cut straight to someone climbing a mountain, or gearing up.

Saw this post coming a mile away. :joy: I know how much you love Intros. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Damon

GPx

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
This is a topic that comes to mind every time I start watching a video that has 5 - 10+ second long intros with music blaring out. :confounded:

I went a very different way with mine, which I don't think it's necessarily unique, but I don't see it often.
So I focus on mine to literally just show briefly my branding for my channel. There's no music or anything and I start talking straight away.

So basically, my intro is a fading animation. I'll link a video here, this isn't self-promotion, this is to help explain what I am doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5I3r8mxMvg

So basically the whole thing is 5 seconds, but not 100% intro. I have the background and logo appear first, the background will begin to fade at 0:01 and completely gone at 0:03. Then the logo fades and gone at 0:05. During this whole time I start with "welcome survivors" as ARK is a survival game and that's my intended audience. Then I go straight into what the video is going to be about. I don't always say i'm GP either.

I've done it this way so that the viewers don't have to wait any time at all for me to start speaking and talking about whatever the video is about, but i still include my branding. And the intro quickly fades to show the actual content of the video.

Although I have considered reducing the whole thing to 3 seconds, but not tried that yet as I don't feel that my viewers feel like they have to wait for the actual content.

Not sure what people think of this?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
This is a topic that comes to mind every time I start watching a video that has 5 - 10+ second long intros with music blaring out. :confounded:

I went a very different way with mine, which I don't think it's necessarily unique, but I don't see it often.
So I focus on mine to literally just show briefly my branding for my channel. There's no music or anything and I start talking straight away.

So basically, my intro is a fading animation. I'll link a video here, this isn't self-promotion, this is to help explain what I am doing.

So basically the whole thing is 5 seconds, but not 100% intro. I have the background and logo appear first, the background will begin to fade at 0:01 and completely gone at 0:03. Then the logo fades and gone at 0:05. During this whole time I start with "welcome survivors" as ARK is a survival game and that's my intended audience. Then I go straight into what the video is going to be about. I don't always say i'm GP either.

I've done it this way so that the viewers don't have to wait any time at all for me to start speaking and talking about whatever the video is about, but i still include my branding. And the intro quickly fades to show the actual content of the video.

Although I have considered reducing the whole thing to 3 seconds, but not tried that yet as I don't feel that my viewers feel like they have to wait for the actual content.

Not sure what people think of this?

I don't see a problem with what you did. It doesn't offend me. The fade in to the content is a good approach visually.

Because I do my own editing for now, I am happy to forego the time to do any intro or branding. It's possible I am being way too low key.

I don't make any references to my name, what I do, my channel name, no lower thirds, no website address, no email, phone number, nothing. I just remind people to like and subscribe at the end. Even that I am having second thoughts. I am thinking about just doing a recommendation to the next video and that is it, abrupt ending.

But I think your approach was good so it is filed in the back of my brain for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

Bob the Canadian

TubeBuddy Pro
I've always had a video specific intro, ie I introduce what the video is going to be about, quick splash screen, sub and like request quick, and then straight into the video / lesson. I like letting my viewers know what the video is going to be about because it is a lesson. If they already know what I'm going to talk about it they don't need to waste their time watching. If they're interested they stay. It seems to be working for me.

Reactions: Damon

onetiggerroo

I use intro's and so far they are grabbing my audience's attention. It is short and I introduce myself (for new subscribers) and give an introduction to what is happening in the video as well. I think music also plays an important part of grabbing attention.

JohnBulgaria

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
As a viewer, I hate intros. Especially some gardening channel that has a 10 second long gaming intro with flying thunderbolts and stuff