Need Advice Has anyone paid to boost/promote videos on Facebook?

MrsWicki

New User
Title says it all! Have you boosted your facebook posts containing videos or your channel and had success? Those posts can also be sponsored on instagram as well which would reach even more people. I'm curious if this is worth it. Thanks!!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Title says it all! Have you boosted your facebook posts containing videos or your channel and had success? Those posts can also be sponsored on instagram as well which would reach even more people. I'm curious if this is worth it. Thanks!!
I have helped business run ad campaign's and ultimately on FB at least, it does truly depend on what you are advertising, and anything off of FB doesn't do too well. I think @Kristeen might know a little more about this :) She is great when it comes to marketing!

OP
OP
MrsWicki

MrsWicki

New User
I have helped business run ad campaign's and ultimately on FB at least, it does truly depend on what you are advertising, and anything off of FB doesn't do too well. I think @Kristeen might know a little more about this :) She is great when it comes to marketing!
Great thank you! I hope she will reply! I did start an ad just to try it out and I got quite a few likes on the post itself in a short period of time on instagram from the right age group (younger crowd), but nothing on the video or channel so I would be interested in knowing if anyone has some more insight on this!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Great thank you! I hope she will reply! I did start an ad just to try it out and I got quite a few likes on the post itself in a short period of time on instagram from the right age group (younger crowd), but nothing on the video or channel so I would be interested in knowing if anyone has some more insight on this!
She will :) I also am curious to know what you find, because I haven't ever truly considered ads, but if it works well for you, I might! :)

Kristeen

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Star
kristeen.me
Subscriber Goal
Haha, thanks for the recommendation!

I've boosted some videos for my main client before, to promote some of their new products. It's great for creating awareness for your brand or product since videos have much higher reach than your usual text/image post, so you get really great bang for your buck there.

In terms of scaling as a YouTube content creator though, I wouldn't recommend spending on Facebook Ads in general unless you have something that you're actually or will be selling to offset the costs (e.g. a product, a course, some trainings, etc.). Given how much we normally earn as smaller content creators, it's hard to justify even spending $20/month on campaigns with no guarantee of a loyal fanbase when you're barely making $5 from YouTube Ads. As I said, it's great for awareness but not necessarily conversion to views or subscribers to your YouTube channel.

You also have to consider that experts are predicting that Facebook is going to run out of Ad Inventory by the middle of this year, so prices have a high likelihood of going up, up, up. They're developing Instagram and Messenger ads a lot this year because of this.

If you want to try Facebook out of curiosity though, do go ahead. Regardless, it's a good learning opportunity, provided you're willing to let go of some money hahaha. I can provide some suggestions, depending on your objectives in running ads. And remember, rule of thumb is to first start small, find your sweet spot and then invest more if it makes sense financially.

Aaron

goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
My experience with Facebook:
I work with a local brand that does videos around the community... We've done Facebook Advertising but generally there isn't much return YouTube wise... If we do a Facebook video, contest, or just a general post the return is usually pretty good but its only really a Facebook return ( likes and comments etc within Facebook's platform). Generally its unsuccessful in getting people to leave Facebook and actually visit the YouTube presence.

I think to really make a benefit off of Facebook advertising you really need to be a business selling a product or must have service. In other words, @Kristeen is 100% right.

Eric Burdon

Newbie Member
bit.ly
I'm pretty familiar with marketing as well though I haven't personally used any Facebook ads to boost my reach. I know many marketers out there who post a variety of methods to get more likes, shares and so on on a variety of content. I haven't had much success with that but also again I'm a small youtuber with generally not much traffic. It's only been fairly recently that I'm getting some level of adequate traffic and should be trying again. But the thing is all these "hacks" that they're sharing are all free to do, it's all organic. Like Kristeen said, unless there's something you're doing to offset the cost then it's not worth it. On the other hand though you can always experiment with small amounts of money on advertising if you can actually afford to do that. If Youtube is a side job and you have a day job, setting aside $20/mth to experiment whether you'll grow your channel a lot more is money well spent. As long as you take your potential failures as lessons and make a commitment to improve how you market from month to month that is.

OP
OP
MrsWicki

MrsWicki

New User
Thank you everyone for your responses! I did go ahead and boost the post just to try it out. I only did like $5 total and although I didn't get much on facebook, I got over 100 likes on the post from people on instagram- most of them being younger teens which is more towards the market I'm shooting for. However, it didn't get me any more followers or traffic to the channel. I am thinking that since they are young and probably follow a lot of people, they saw the post and thought it was from someone they already follow and therefore they only "liked" it. So the potential is there, I just don't know how to effectively utilize it yet. I was basically just hoping for some awareness. Perhaps down the road I will come up with a strategy and give it another try!

Kristeen

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Star
kristeen.me
Subscriber Goal
Thank you everyone for your responses! I did go ahead and boost the post just to try it out. I only did like $5 total and although I didn't get much on facebook, I got over 100 likes on the post from people on instagram- most of them being younger teens which is more towards the market I'm shooting for. However, it didn't get me any more followers or traffic to the channel. I am thinking that since they are young and probably follow a lot of people, they saw the post and thought it was from someone they already follow and therefore they only "liked" it. So the potential is there, I just don't know how to effectively utilize it yet. I was basically just hoping for some awareness. Perhaps down the road I will come up with a strategy and give it another try!
I'm not sure that explanation is accurate. Based on how I understand audiences on both the Facebook and Instagram platforms, most people just really want to consume content right then and there. You go on those platforms planning to get updated on all the pages you follow and anything else you may have missed, rather than wanting to consume content elsewhere.

That's why if you're doing any type of ad on those platforms that are leading users out to another website, you need to be using content that communicates clear value proposition for doing so. And that value proposition usually comes in the form of a product or a service that these users consider must-haves where they can get a direct benefit from.

Edit:
Just another point to add. Generating a basic level of awareness is one thing but if you want awareness that creates conversions in the long-term, you need to be regularly creating ad campaigns to keep the momentum going or you need to have paid for something that sticks in people's heads. If you're paying to promote a one-off ad campaign, be sure that you're doing it on something truly memorable with stickiness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrsWicki

MrsWicki

New User
I'm not sure that explanation is accurate. Based on how I understand audiences on both the Facebook and Instagram platforms, most people just really want to consume content right then and there. You go on those platforms planning to get updated on all the pages you follow and anything else you may have missed, rather than wanting to consume content elsewhere.

That's why if you're doing any type of ad on those platforms that are leading users out to another website, you need to be using content that communicates clear value proposition for doing so. And that value proposition usually comes in the form of a product or a service that these users consider must-haves where they can get a direct benefit from.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was trying to say. (perhaps not well!) I didn't plan anything with my post, I just boosted something existing to try it out and there wasn't a strategy in place. The next time I do this, I would have a better idea of what to do