• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review I actually need some feedback lol!

Amanda Summers

Known Member
User name: Katie Sutherland
Title of thread: I actually need some feedback lol!
Self review: I would love some feedback! I have only posted a few videos so i know I can improve but would love some outside feedback!!
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeK8el6U3atPT3OEWxYGoQA/videos
Link to other review post:
View: https://youtu.be/xUh03qSNehQ
I watched the video and as I watched I was wondering what was going to happen. Nothing? There was no tips, no information, no laugh. I don't think people have time to watch someone get ready for the day. Now, if you were blind or something different it might be interesting, but you have to have interesting content. Everyone gets dressed in the morning pretty much like you did-normal.

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I watched the video and as I watched I was wondering what was going to happen. Nothing? There was no tips, no information, no laugh. I don't think people have time to watch someone get ready for the day. Now, if you were blind or something different it might be interesting, but you have to have interesting content. Everyone gets dressed in the morning pretty much like you did-normal.
I have to disagree with this. This is a pretty common video topic that people watch on YouTube, whether or not someone is considered "interesting." People enjoy watching common folks on YouTube live their life. I know I do, anyway. Her description says that she is a full-time missionary, which would make people interested in what her life as a missionary is like.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You are performing very well. 2,300 views and nearly 200 subscribers in your first 12 videos far outperforms what I would expect to see. You have a fun personality; you are energetic and charismatic, these are the things that are going to carry your channel. Lean into that personality. Viewers will come to you because of your content but they are going to subscribe because of this personality.

I liked your style; you shot some B-Roll and took different angles for your morning routine vids and that is excellent. I would challenge you to double-down on this. Take twice as much B-Roll and focus these additional shots on various things that further the story line of your video. Maybe include some first-person POV shots. Your vlog is an invitation for your viewer to join you for these moments in your life and it is your task to share as much of these experiences as possible. And it may not be pretty either; your audience is going to appreciate your vulnerability. Only open your life as much as you are comfortable doing but understand that this is the dynamic. Get artistic, have fun experimenting. I would also challenge you to shave 2 seconds off your b-roll clips and increase the length of your videos by about 20%.

I would also like to see you lean a little heavier into your SEO. Do your keyword research when you are thinking of ideas for your videos so that you can focus on topics that viewers are looking for (or at least supplement your library with videos like this). Your videos are not optimized as well as they could be, and though you are doing great at catching views you are missing out on the long-term value your videos can provide via Search discovery.

All in all you have a really fun channel. I would encourage you to spend some time perfecting some of the regular stuff everyone should always be improving; thumbnails, banner, channel icon etc. They are all fine but as is the case with everyone they can always be improved. Keep pushing out those videos and good luck! I look forward to seeing how you progress in 2022!

Reactions: MattCommand1
OP
OP
Katie Sutherland

Katie Sutherland

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I have to disagree with this. This is a pretty common video topic that people watch on YouTube, whether or not someone is considered "interesting." People enjoy watching common folks on YouTube live their life. I know I do, anyway. Her description says that she is a full-time missionary, which would make people interested in what her life as a missionary is like.
Thank you for defending this haha!! :heart:

OP
OP
Katie Sutherland

Katie Sutherland

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
You are performing very well. 2,300 views and nearly 200 subscribers in your first 12 videos far outperforms what I would expect to see. You have a fun personality; you are energetic and charismatic, these are the things that are going to carry your channel. Lean into that personality. Viewers will come to you because of your content but they are going to subscribe because of this personality.

I liked your style; you shot some B-Roll and took different angles for your morning routine vids and that is excellent. I would challenge you to double-down on this. Take twice as much B-Roll and focus these additional shots on various things that further the story line of your video. Maybe include some first-person POV shots. Your vlog is an invitation for your viewer to join you for these moments in your life and it is your task to share as much of these experiences as possible. And it may not be pretty either; your audience is going to appreciate your vulnerability. Only open your life as much as you are comfortable doing but understand that this is the dynamic. Get artistic, have fun experimenting. I would also challenge you to shave 2 seconds off your b-roll clips and increase the length of your videos by about 20%.

I would also like to see you lean a little heavier into your SEO. Do your keyword research when you are thinking of ideas for your videos so that you can focus on topics that viewers are looking for (or at least supplement your library with videos like this). Your videos are not optimized as well as they could be, and though you are doing great at catching views you are missing out on the long-term value your videos can provide via Search discovery.

All in all you have a really fun channel. I would encourage you to spend some time perfecting some of the regular stuff everyone should always be improving; thumbnails, banner, channel icon etc. They are all fine but as is the case with everyone they can always be improved. Keep pushing out those videos and good luck! I look forward to seeing how you progress in 2022!
Thank you so much!! This is all so helpful! Yes, i think my morning routine video is one of my shortest! I try to keep all my videos in beween the 7-15 minute range! Is that a good range?! I am still trying to understand SEO for sure!! What do you think is the best way to go at doing research for my videos?!?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I can't give you a definite answer on the video length... there are a lot of variables to take into consideration. Mainly your audience. I would advise experimenting with the length, but really the video should be just a little shorter than it needs to be. For example, if you are going on a four-state road trip and you want to do one video about this it is reasonable to assume that you record and vlog several minutes per state. Throw in a 30 second introduction and this equates to about a ten minute video. Then go back and shave it down; edit out the long pauses, edit out every time you say 'um' or 'uh.' Cut out that one or two segments which just don't really work or tend to drag down an otherwise popping cadence. That is how long the video needs to be. Notice I'm being vague on numbers... because the length of the video isn't really based on numbers. It's based on the cadence and tone of the story you are telling.

Also... yeah 7-15 minutes is a good range (I'm long-winded lol, sorry).

The best way to do research; so first and foremost you need to continue making videos the way that you are. Don't change that. These videos are going to be for your core audience. Honor them by continuing to give them what they subscribed for. But add to your arsenal by also making researched videos.
Start by watching other YouTube videos. See what catches your attention. See what's trending on social media. Get an idea for the subject of your video. Then go to the Keyword Explorer and start researching the terms that people are typing in order to find the information they want on that subject. Experiment with a dozen different ways to search that exact same keyword phrase and try it with different modifiers. See which terms have the most traffic and least competition.
Then you have to decide what works best for you. You can play it safe, take the keyword phrases with the least amount of competition. Or if you have faith that you can beat out the competition maybe you aim for the keyword phrases with higher traffic volume.
Once this is complete script and film your video based on this research and throw it out there! Take some notes on what you did, what you experimented with etc. Come back after a week and see how your audience responded to your decisions. Come back again after a month, three months and a year to see what effects new audiences are having on your watch time and click-through rate. That is the real value in all of this; seeing what works and what doesn't. Take notes, learn from your successes and your mistakes and implemented changes on the videos going forward.

Reactions: MattCommand1