• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion What's your benchmark number of videos that one should upload as a good "Now they're no longer a new YouTuber" threshold point?

Prompt Review

TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
How many videos do you aim to see on a person's channel, in order to consider them now "no longer a new youtuber"? 100 videos? 50 videos? What is the bare minimum? In your mind and estimation of opinion

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
How many videos do you aim to see on a person's channel, in order to consider them now "no longer a new youtuber"? 100 videos? 50 videos? What is the bare minimum? In your mind and estimation of opinion

Great question. I think different people view YT channels differently. So I am one opinion of many. If it is someone I know,/respect/admire or a topic I am really interested in, I will subscribe pretty quick just to follow their progress even if it is 2-3 videos. But if someone I don't know, forget it.

I read the About Page Description and take it in. Most people probably don't care about the About Page but I do as a viewer. The more personal & descriptive it is, the more interested I am in the channel. There are all kinds of creators who post videos "anonymously" without revealing their identity or say much on themselves on their About Page. I generally won't subscribe to them because I have to be a little bit interested in the creator, not just the content. I prefer to see the creator on thumbnail and/or their videos too.

In terms of general numbers, I prefer channels that have "3 rows" of videos. Depending on the width & resolution of your monitor, it can be around 15-18 videos. They don't have to be super-experienced but I know what it takes just to get to 15-18 videos and the start of a library. If someone gets a solid and "good" 15-18 videos, I think they are well on their way to leaving the "new Youtuber" title behind.

Although I will watch videos on my phone, I won't explore, search, or subscribe much on my phone. Most of my exploration and subscribing happens when I am at my computer.

In so far as to whether someone is "new", it isn't just the quantity. There are lots of channels populated with lifted/copied content. To me, that is not my thing. I like original content. I don't care how many videos there are.

It has been said that making "good videos" is what is important. But of course, the definition of "good" is so subjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prompt Review
OP
OP
Prompt Review

Prompt Review

TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I do not understand your question. If you have a YouTube channel and are actively uploading videos, you are a "YouTuber". There are different levels of YouTubers though. There are professional channels that produce Television quality content. There are professional YouTubers that produce educational content. And, there are amateur Youtubers that produce many levels of content from semi-professional to personal vlogs. The whole purpose of YouTube was originally for regular people to "Broadcast Yourself", and in spite of everything, I believe that this still is and should be what YouTube is about. Hollywood has its platform. TV has its platform. Cable has its platform. YouTube is a place where the common person can have a platform too.

Everyone who has a YouTube channel is a YouTuber and that is a good thing. Being a YouTuber is not a negative term, which apparently seems to be the way you are using it. Maybe rephrase your question and ask it again we can understand what you are asking.

@MattCommand1 understood the question. How many videos before you get the respect of not just being a ΓÇ£newbieΓÇ¥. Thanks for the response

OP
OP
Prompt Review

Prompt Review

TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Great question. I think different people view YT channels differently. So I am one opinion of many. If it is someone I know,/respect/admire or a topic I am really interested in, I will subscribe pretty quick just to follow their progress even if it is 2-3 videos. But if someone I don't know, forget it.

I read the About Page Description and take it in. Most people probably don't care about the About Page but I do as a viewer. The more personal & descriptive it is, the more interested I am in the channel. There are all kinds of creators who post videos "anonymously" without revealing their identity or say much on themselves on their About Page. I generally won't subscribe to them because I have to be a little bit interested in the creator, not just the content. I prefer to see the creator on thumbnail and/or their videos too.

In terms of general numbers, I prefer channels that have "3 rows" of videos. Depending on the width & resolution of your monitor, it can be around 15-18 videos. They don't have to be super-experienced but I know what it takes just to get to 15-18 videos and the start of a library. If someone gets a solid and "good" 15-18 videos, I think they are well on their way to leaving the "new Youtuber" title behind.

Although I will watch videos on my phone, I won't explore, search, or subscribe much on my phone. Most of my exploration and subscribing happens when I am at my computer.

In so far as to whether someone is "new", it isn't just the quantity. There are lots of channels populated with lifted/copied content. To me, that is not my thing. I like original content. I don't care how many videos there are.

It has been said that making "good videos" is what is important. But of course, the definition of "good" so so subjective.

Thanks for the detailed and tailored response. I value all the feedback that you gave and your opinion. I consider myself still ΓÇ£newΓÇ¥ so I struggled with formulating words or ΓÇ£descriptionΓÇ¥ of my full scope of my channel and its direction. IΓÇÖve had the idea in my mind but colorizing and putting into words for others to understand, digest, see and read, initially was a big hang up for me. IΓÇÖve tried and asked others whoΓÇÖve viewed my videos and are close enough to know the direction of the channel and where itΓÇÖs going, how they would describe not only my channel, but also the direction and also me.

With that in mind I have nailed down a description of my channel. I would like to ask for your feedback and/or thoughts on it and my description specifically. Since we are on the topic, is that possible since we are already discussing the About Me section in this specific thread? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I like the ΓÇ£three rowsΓÇ¥ of videos. I initially was shooting for 100 but I definitely can see the value and perspective of your garnish and respect given and met at the minimum of three video rows. I think I tend to subscribe to that mantra and statement of belief. You have colored in for me a new short term goal to break down the road a bit on my way to posting/uploading and having 100!

Thanks for the insight. I discover on both phone and computer but rarely do I read the About Me unless IΓÇÖm searching for view counts, or other social media personality links. Nice to know that someone (at the bare minimum at least you) does actually read and go through the About Me page.

I appreciate all of the feedback and you have helped me grow in your own way on my journey and channel.

Thank you for this!

@MattCommand1

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
With that in mind I have nailed down a description of my channel. I would like to ask for your feedback and/or thoughts on it and my description specifically. Since we are on the topic, is that possible since we are already discussing the About Me section in this specific thread? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I can't remember where I first heard this but ...

In the YT mobile app, the first 100-150 characters (I forgot the exact number) of the About page show up in your Home page of your channel. This does not yet show on desktop browsers.

So, to be most impactful and based on this insight that I got from another Youtuber, I entirely rewrote the first couple of sentences last month to be very pointed because of what is displayed on the mobile side. There is no room in this tight space for anything long-winded. So, it forced me to get clear. However, nothing is permanent and I can change it anytime. I consider it a "focused" statement specifically for mobile viewers. It could be a list of topics, it could be your personal mantra, it could be a famous quote but whatever you choose, there is very limited characters shown.

Once you figure out your first 100-150 characters, you can then go to "long-form" description. It is a bit awkward from what I am used to but YT changed it up, so I was forced to change to maximize the new feature.

Reactions: Prompt Review

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Very clear question.
My initial thought was 100 videos. But... that does not always work. I have seen channels with 200k subs, and tons of views & engagement, that do not have 50 vids yet. Hard to call them a newbie.

For a channel like mine: day in the life vlog kind of stuff. I would say under 100 vids is still kind of a newbie. Then again I have almost 700 videos and I am still learning, or trying to learn, all the time.

My nephew recently sold his house and is driving around the US as a digital nomad, in a luxury RV. He only has 5 or 6 videos posted so far (YT is just a hobby) but his video production is top notch. He is a newbie, but better than me ha ha

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
How many videos before you get the respect of not just being a ΓÇ£newbieΓÇ¥.

I don't think the amount of videos is a good measure of whether a person is a newbie or not. I have many channels. Some have lots of videos and others have only a few. I think the quality of the videos would be a better measuring stick, but even that can be deceptive because all a person has to do to make a good video is study other people's work and copy it.

YouTube is so varied, it is really hard to judge. I mean, personally, when I have watched some of these 12-year-old tweenie gamer channels (me being a grandfather), I laugh at the silliness and immaturity of the creator, but then I look and they have many times more subs and views than me, so......... Are they young? Yes. Are they Silly? Yes. But that is the great thing about YouTube. There is a place for everyone.

My take is; If you can find people that like your style, who cares if some people think you are a newbie. There is a creator on here that I have been talking with over the last couple of days that has been doing YouTube as long as I (15 years) and has more videos (300) than me and still has not reached 1000 subs. I watched some of his videos and, if I did not know how long he had been doing this, I would think he was very new to YouTube. Is he a newbie? No. But apparently, he has not learned or improved much since he first started. Or maybe, he has not been interested in building a channel until now and was just vlogging his life.

My point is, just do you and do not worry about what others think.

Last edited:

Ater

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
How many videos before you get the respect of not just being a ΓÇ£newbieΓÇ¥.

For me personally respect don't have much to do with the amount of videos. A channel with 5 videos can be more impressive to me than a channel with 500 videos.

Example:
Channel 1: 500 videos, they get 1-5 views each, they are boring, bad quality, confusing story telling and annoying sound quality.
Channel 2: 5 videos, they get 50 000 views each, they are entertaining, feels professional, great story telling and fantastic sound quality.

In my eyes channel two would get much more of my respect than channel one. But I would respect channel ones dedication.

Yours Truly

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I have over 70 videos posted on my channel. I feel like they are good quality, but I average around 20 views. (Some of my videos have 1k, some have 5, but mainly have 20 or so.) I feel like I will never consider myself a true YouTuber until I reach the 1k subscribers and 4k hours of views.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

Me Time

I have over 70 videos posted on my channel. I feel like they are good quality, but I average around 20 views. (Some of my videos have 1k, some have 5, but mainly have 20 or so.) I feel like I will never consider myself a true YouTuber until I reach the 1k subscribers and 4k hours of views.
Hi i watched your video. They are nice. You can try to include chapter (time code) to your videos. It will make your videos to be listed while searching.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
My to cents; you don't really have a channel until you have a library... so it's about 25 vids to exist. I am a believer in getting through that first 100 vids to find yourself, so that's where I draw the line myself. There is such a difference between video 25 and video 100. You learn so much and improve over that span.

I don't recall the exact numbers but this is a fun stat that plays into this conversation: Channels with 100,000 subs have on average 400 videos and channels with 1,000,000 subs have on average 1,200 videos.

Reactions: MattCommand1

Opwell Forex

opwellforex.org
Subscriber Goal

It has been said that making "good videos" is what is important. But of course, the definition of "good" is so subjective.
I have been following all the responses you are giving to community members to help them solve their questions. I must say you are an expert in this field and thus you deserve to have so many subscribers. Thank you.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I have been following all the responses you are giving to community members to help them solve their questions. I must say you are an expert in this field and thus you deserve to have so many subscribers. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words. But I am not an expert, still learning lots. I offer informed opinions and a perspective based on research and anecdotal experience. But very much NOT an expert. Way too many people on YT way more accomplished than me.

I am very much immersed and in the trenches of the YT struggle. I only answer questions that I feel I can offer value relative to the experience level of the person posting a question. Most of the time, I am immersed in learning, listening, and watching. I do a lot of experimenting to see what works for me.

Also, I am big into CONTEXT. It is a word I use a lot. I was taught (and also believe) wisdom and knowledge lie within granularity and fine points. Many people don't like to dwell on it. But if you really pay attention to very accomplished people (YT or not), when you travel far enough, it is almost the small things that make a HUGE difference.

You stop using a hammer or blunt instrument for everything. You start using surgical tools to help you. For example, I consider a TubeBuddy subscription a surgical product but it is only as good as the user. Same tools but in different hands, it can have dramatically different results and outcomes.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words but listen and watch the other established guys here. Many of them here. Some are here more than others. There is some good stuff here on the TB Forums but you have to keep watching, listening, and reading.

Rainbowexperiments

i will personally say about 50 will be enough for me to think that someone is no longer a new YouTube creator,some people produce one video a week,so thats nearly one year ,I know my opinion is one drop in the ocean,so respect any other opinions,i love reading the forum.

Super Cooper Hobbies

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
My to cents; you don't really have a channel until you have a library... so it's about 25 vids to exist. I am a believer in getting through that first 100 vids to find yourself, so that's where I draw the line myself. There is such a difference between video 25 and video 100. You learn so much and improve over that span.

I don't recall the exact numbers but this is a fun stat that plays into this conversation: Channels with 100,000 subs have on average 400 videos and channels with 1,000,000 subs have on average 1,200 videos.
I totally agree with that 100 videos thing. I'm approaching that and I think I've definitely started to figure out whats working for me.

• Wow
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
To me, when I visit a channel, I don't care about how many videos they have uploaded, I only care about if their content looks and feels professional. There is this abstract feeling of a professional looking video where the pacing, the sound quality, the story telling, and the visuals, all line up to give the viewer an experience.

For my channel, I now have about 70 videos uploaded and I am still struggling to make it look "professional" but I feel like I am close. Either way, don't be so zoned in to make your channel looking like and feeling like someone else's success - be creative and keep on improving your content!