• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion filming in public

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I get away from all the people.
vlcsnap-2020-08-28-14h15m20s661.png

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
How do you get confident talking to a camera/filming in public?

The simple answer is by doing it and practicing it.

A more granular answer which I have adopted since I was 23 years old was proper "self-talk", self-improvement practices, and intellectualizing the process so that your emotions don't get the better of you. Having said all that, I still struggle with it. It gets easier over time with practice. I will never be a Hollywood actor but I can improve over time.

Reactions: Jasmeen David
OP
OP
Jasmeen David

Jasmeen David

The simple answer is by doing it and practicing it.

A more granular answer which I have adopted since I was 23 years old was proper "self-talk", self-improvement practices, and intellectualizing the process so that your emotions don't get the better of you. Having said all that, I still struggle with it. It gets easier over time with practice. I will never be a Hollywood actor but I can improve over time.
gonna start practicing. thank you so much for sharing some knowledge

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I was shy at first about filming in public, but just started doing it. Every time I filmed in public - it got easier. Then I pretty much stopped. I still film in public, but no longer talk, I get better sound, and more editing options, doing a voice over later. I have seen guys doing vlogs at stores (restaurants, starbucks etc) and far too often the background noise interferes with the talking.

Most of my face the camera filming is at home, sometimes at a quiet park. Since it is just me and my camera... I never got shy about that.

Reactions: Damon

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I was shy at first about filming in public, but just started doing it. Every time I filmed in public - it got easier. Then I pretty much stopped. I still film in public, but no longer talk, I get better sound, and more editing options, doing a voice over later. I have seen guys doing vlogs at stores (restaurants, starbucks etc) and far too often the background noise interferes with the talking.

I stumbled onto voiceovers because certain videos forced me out of my room. And now, I prefer and embrace voiceovers because there is so much more control (and I am less terrible using it. LOL). One day, I do want to attempt a vlog out in the field just for the experience.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Honestly this is how a lot of documentary films work. I really think studying film making is of greatest benefit to YouTubers.

And I credit you @Damon, my TB friend, for bringing that to my consciousness. Thank you! I have snuck in views of a few of YOUR videos to get your style. I learned that you allow people to simmer in your experience comparing/contrasting that to the mindset that people want the shortest video possible. Your style did remind me of documentary-style videos where not everything is being rushed. The pacing can go up and down. Consider me more enlightened now than when I first lurked on the TB forums. :)

I have learned that not everyone is trying to rush through a video. I have learned that some people are willing to stick with you if you provide a great viewing experience or info. If I need to have a video go 8, 10, 15, or 20 minutes, then so be it. Obviously, I don't want to put in empty fillers but if there is a lot of content to cover, then so be it.

Reactions: Damon

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I stumbled onto voiceovers because certain videos forced me out of my room. And now, I prefer and embrace voiceovers because there is so much more control (and I am less terrible using it. LOL). One day, I do want to attempt a vlog out in the field just for the experience.
I had to start doing voice-overs because the Philippines is such a noisy country. If I filmed and narrated at the same time - the video and audio are tied together. Quite often there would be too much wind, traffic, or music noise and ruin the take. I ended up turning the sound off and doing a voice over. That sounded weird to me, so I started just filming with no narration. Now I turn down the ambient audio, so it is not too loud but you can still hear the city sounds. Using the voice on another track allows me to adjust the levels as needed. I got a lot of positive comments about my voice being legible, but the viewers were also glad to hear the city sounds.

I do still record some outdoor vlogs. I try to find a nice quiet park, where there is some ambient sound but not too much. I have a lavalier mic with a dead cat so it blocks much of the wind noise (on particularly windy days I put the mic inside my shirt). I have a series 'Tang Time with Tito Tim' (Tang is the most popular powdered drink mix here) and it is kind of just a hang out, visit, catch up kind of talk. I get bored filming in my office/studio and enjoy filming them at a park.

I will film at tourist locations and beaches, but generally do not sit and film at a restaurant or coffee shop. It is too hard to control the ambient sounds, and some the other customers may not appreciate being in my vlog...

Reactions: MattCommand1

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have the same issue. One way I was able to get used to being my silly self in front of a camera was with an app called Twitch Sings which sadly no longer is available. Basically it was a karaoke app that Twitch had that allowed you to stream yourself to Twitch through the app and do karaoke in a really cool way. I already loved singing and was trying really hard to start and grow a channel on Twitch and this gave me the opportunity to do it and to learn not to be afraid of the camera. But as I said, sadly, they shut it down last year. But perhaps you can find an alternative. In the end you simply have to try it and persist till you get used to it.

Reactions: Jasmeen David

decock918

I have a series 'Tang Time with Tito Tim' (Tang is the most popular powdered drink mix here) and it is kind of just a hang out, visit, catch up kind of talk. I get bored filming in my office/studio and enjoy filming them at a park.pikashow download

Last edited: